Question about New Wally Receiver setup

IggyAZ

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2021
Desert SW
I do not have DISH subscription presently and just got a new Wally Receiver that will be activated next year for my camping using Pay as you Go program.

My question is can I hook it up to my Tailgater today and will it find the SAT just to check if all is working right?
I know I will not get any programming but just wanted to check out my antenna will work ok with the new Wally.
All I want to see if I can pickup all 3 SAT and see signal strength.

Is this correct?

Thank you

Yes you can hook it up today without a sub.
Just curious. Will it do software updates (if necessary)?
I do not have DISH subscription presently and just got a new Wally Receiver that will be activated next year for my camping using Pay as you Go program.
Are you certain it's new? I would hate to go camping and discover somebody had sold me a leased receiver...

Reactions: charlesrshell
UPDATE to test

I hooked everything up to my Wally.
I showed after Switch test all 3 SAT 110, 119, 129 with my tailgater antenna.
It checked for firmware downloads but wouldn't do any.
It wouldn't show any guide or free channels.
Then I checked antenna and it only showed 119 I think or maybe 110 only.

So I guess I have to wait until I'm ready to call and active receiver to get firmware updates and guide.
Thanks All.

UPDATE to test

So I guess I have to wait until I'm ready to call and active receiver to get firmware updates and guide.
Thanks All.
I see you don't have DISH service at all today. It might be that the Wally needs to get its initial firmware first from an established Dish antenna, not the Tailgater. We've seen this before. Do you know anyone who has DISH service today (but not Hopper service) that might let you temporarily hook up to their antenna? Once you get the initial download the rest will take care of itself.

UPDATE to test

Thanks All.
Did it run a Scan? It’s a screen that asks for your current state then proceeds to run a check switch test. If you got that screen, you have software recent enough to get the Wally up and running. Also, the update option in the diagnostics menu rarely works, it’s better if you lock in your signal then leave the Wally in standby by pressing the power button while still connected to power and satellite (the screen with the floating advertisement) and wait about 5 minutes for a software download to start. As mentioned previously, you can definitely update software just fine without the receiver being active or on your account, if you are having trouble now then having Dish activate the receiver is not going to help.

Did it run a Scan? It’s a screen that asks for your current state then proceeds to run a check switch test. If you got that screen, you have software recent enough to get the Wally up and running. Also, the update option in the diagnostics menu rarely works, it’s better if you lock in your signal then leave the Wally in standby by pressing the power button while still connected to power and satellite (the screen with the floating advertisement) and wait about 5 minutes for a software download to start. As mentioned previously, you can definitely update software just fine without the receiver being active or on your account, if you are having trouble now then having Dish activate the receiver is not going to help.
Did the san and picked up all 3 SAT.
Even tried to do the update but it just was waiting for cconfimation to start download and nothing.
Waited on that screen for over 30 minutes and nothing downloaded.
Oh well.

But can you hook up to the coax after the hub/node?
Hub, definitely yes. Node, I’m not sure now that I think about it. I have heard of Hopper Duo’s running off of a Node (which is unnecessary but some lazy installers have done it in my area before when “upgrading” from a Hopper 1/2), the duo node also supports the Super Joey. Both of these are DPP dual tuners just like the Wally, so physically/electronically it should be fine, unless there is some sort of software limitation. Don’t have a node at the moment to test unfortunately.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)