Question about NY locals

dewar

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 24, 2007
would there be any major problems if I were to "move" from Cincinnati to New York City? If so what would they be? I have already "moved" once....actually I am currently receiving Atlanta locals.

Thanks

Depending on your setup (119/110/129 or 119/110/61.5). Some of the NY sd locals are one 119 and are consus (these would be no problem, abc, nbc, cbs, fox CW and MyNetwork) others are on 110 (WNET, a pbs is consus, while the rest are on spot beam) so you would see the one pbs. the rest are independent, pbs and foreign language. The HD locals are consus and on 61.5. If 61.5 is not in your setup, you will not see these.

Depending on your setup (119/110/129 or 119/110/61.5). Some of the NY sd locals are one 119 and are consus (these would be no problem, abc, nbc, cbs, fox CW and MyNetwork) others are on 110 (WNET, a pbs is consus, while the rest are on spot beam) so you would see the one pbs. the rest are independent, pbs and foreign language. The HD locals are consus and on 61.5. If 61.5 is not in your setup, you will not see these.

I think WNET PBS 13 in NYC is not conus it is on 119 sat. but on spot beam. I moved to NYC DMA last xmas and get ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, HD and SD with dish 500 and dish aimed at 61.5 I do not get PBS or any of the other locals as they are spot beamed. I do get WWOR and WPIX (SD).

Hint: if you move to NYC dma move to Sullivan county and you will qualify for all NYC sports teams and also Buffalo Sabres if you care about those things. You will also qualify for WSBK, KTLA, and KWGN

How do I change my setup to 61.5? Can this be done in the receiver settings, or do I have to change to alignment of my dish. The only reason I want to change from Atlanta to NYC is for the MPEG4 HD locals. Does the MPEG4 really make that big of difference? Thanks for helping out a newbie.

Last edited:
The Atlanta HD locals are also in MPEG4. What exactly are you trying to accomplish here?

The Atlanta HD locals are also in MPEG4. What exactly are you trying to accomplish here?

Im a newbie....give me a chance to learn. I didn't know Atlanta HD was Mpeg4, I thought only NY was Mpeg4. My fault....still learning......newbie here. Thanks for the quick response.

No worries, I'm sorry if you took it the wrong way, I was just trying to figure out what you were wanting to do so we could help. Welcome to SatelliteGuys by the way. :)

Dwar,
It sounds like your pointing at sat 129 That's where Atlanta HD locals are. Suggest you get an a dish pointed at 61.5. No reason to do that unless you want NYC local sports in HD. Atlanta HD locals are fine.