Question about OTA module

advancdcommsec

Original poster
Jan 6, 2015
Red Lion, Pennsylvania
Hello!!
Being new to the world of the Hopper I seem to always have questions!! I already get the local channels from Dish and do have an external antenna installed to receive channels from a city about 50 miles away (That way I can get the football games that my locals don't carry). My television antenna currently just runs right to my TV.
Now to the three questions:
1) If I install the OTA module, will I see both the 'real' locals as well as the 'distant' locals in my channel guide? In other words, I would have two sets of local channels.
2) Is there a monthly charge from Dish for the OTA module.
3) Do I have to call Dish to have the OTA module activated?
Thanks in advance for any insight!!
Terry

1. I think so, but haven't tried it. After you install the OTA module, you'll scan for channels. Hope they are all in the same direction.

2. No.

3. No.

Hello!!
Being new to the world of the Hopper I seem to always have questions!! I already get the local channels from Dish and do have an external antenna installed to receive channels from a city about 50 miles away (That way I can get the football games that my locals don't carry). My television antenna currently just runs right to my TV.
1) If I install the OTA module, will I see both the 'real' locals as well as the 'distant' locals in my channel guide? In other words, I would have two sets of local channels.
Terry

1. Yes, but the distant locals may or may not have guide info. All OTA channels show up below you lowest sat local
in Yellow. If no guide info you can set a manual timer.
2. NO, just the inititial cost of the module.
3. No, just attach the antenna, plug it in and follow the prompts.

I can atest to the above. My locals are Rochester NY. With my antenna I receive Syracuse NY. I get full epg with sub channels for Syracuse. Syracuse PBS does not have begathons during plege weeks. They just scroll across the bottom about joining.

I have both my satellite delivered locals for Houston and my true ota stations from Beaumont , using the Hopper ota usb module . Same on the Vip receivers on my 2nd account.

Hmmm, just for laughs, I wonder if I could get Tucson locals if I ever needed. From dead center of Phoenix. Be a stretch, but less than some of the places I have seen people be successful at. Its a shame I cannot try until my roommate moves out.

The Hopper OTA module is the best receiver I have as far as sensitivity is concerned. It'll pick up stations that my TV receiver won't. The only trouble is that the "Add Digital Channels" feature still doesn't work. With signals coming from several directions, it's next to impossible to get all of the stations you can receive into the scanned list.

I'm in San Francisco, but I can receive 6 stations from the Sacramento/Stockton market. The guide lists these channels and has guide info for some, but not all, of the stations.

Oh... and be patient when you tune to an OTA station. Sometimes it takes 10 to 15 seconds for the station to appear on the screen.

The Hopper OTA module is the best receiver I have as far as sensitivity is concerned. It'll pick up stations that my TV receiver won't. The only trouble is that the "Add Digital Channels" feature still doesn't work. With signals coming from several directions, it's next to impossible to get all of the stations you can receive into the scanned list.

I'm in San Francisco, but I can receive 6 stations from the Sacramento/Stockton market. The guide lists these channels and has guide info for some, but not all, of the stations.

Oh... and be patient when you tune to an OTA station. Sometimes it takes 10 to 15 seconds for the station to appear on the screen.

I added the OTA module to my hopper, since I have a large OTA antenna on the roof. I was impressed by how many channels it picked up, and I like how the Hopper automatically creates an OTA list in the guide favorites. This was a good investment, to have multiple options beyond the four Dish-provided locals. I now get channels from Peoria, Springfield, Champaign, Decatur, multiple PBS channels.

Hmmm, just for laughs, I wonder if I could get Tucson locals if I ever needed. From dead center of Phoenix. Be a stretch, but less than some of the places I have seen people be successful at. Its a shame I cannot try until my roommate moves out.
As a few have mentioned in this thread, Dish's OTA module is generally considered pretty good (or "strong"). Considering that Mesa and Tucson are 115 miles apart (without factoring in where you live in relation to Tucson's TV towers), you'd need a really big, outdoor antenna.

As a few have mentioned in this thread, Dish's OTA module is generally considered pretty good (or "strong"). Considering that Mesa and Tucson are 115 miles apart (without factoring in where you live in relation to Tucson's TV towers), you'd need a really big, outdoor antenna.

Yeah, I get stations 70 miles away, but that is pushing it.

Hello!!
Terry
It will add a tuner to your setup, it could cause conflicts if you want more than one program at the same time when only available via ota. Of course you can watch one live thru your tv and record another on your Hopper by splitting the coax and connecting to the tv and the Hopper.

It will add a tuner to your setup, it could cause conflicts if you want more than one program at the same time when only available via ota. Of course you can watch one live thru your tv and record another on your Hopper by splitting the coax and connecting to the tv and the Hopper.

The flip side of that is that it provides ANOTHER tuner, in addition to the 3 existing ones. Of course since most of the time when I would record an OTA channel is when Primetime Anytime is already recording, so its fairly moot.

And while the possible conflict with recording multiple OTA is true, that has been true with every other receiver, when they had OTA built in to the receiver. :)

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts