Question about output to 4:3 CRT TV

CubsWin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 17, 2005
Bourbonnais, IL
I'm going to be picking up a new 27" CRT with 4:3 aspect ratio (used primarily for older gaming consoles) and want to get the best possible Dish Network picture while maintaining the correct aspect ratio. The TV has component, composite and S-video inputs. Would I be better off using the S-video output from a Dish Network receiver (either a 211k or 311) or could I output component at 4:3?

maybe or maybe not

I'm going to be picking up a new 27" CRT with 4:3 aspect ratio (used primarily for older gaming consoles) and want to get the best possible Dish Network picture while maintaining the correct aspect ratio. The TV has component, composite and S-video inputs. Would I be better off using the S-video output from a Dish Network receiver (either a 211k or 311) or could I output component at 4:3?

The component you are talking about may just accept 480. So if it is a 2nd TV and you have 1080i or 720p set on the VIP it won't work w/it. You will need to answer that question before you do anything else. BTW been there done that w/ a 20" that's how I know.

The component you are talking about may just accept 480. So if it is a 2nd TV and you have 1080i or 720p set on the VIP it won't work w/it. You will need to answer that question before you do anything else. BTW been there done that w/ a 20" that's how I know.
Yeah, the TV only displays 480i, so that's all that would be coming through the component input. It will be the primary TV on its own dedicated receiver, there are no other TV's involved. With that said, is there a quality difference on 480i component vs. 480i S-video?

Maybe

Yeah, the TV only displays 480i, so that's all that would be coming through the component input. It will be the primary TV on its own dedicated receiver, there are no other TV's involved. With that said, is there a quality difference on 480i component vs. 480i S-video?

Maybe a bit there is an output setting for 480p on VIP's so most likely there for the 211k but don't know about the 311.

It comes down to what array of inputs you have to serve all of your various sources. Most CRT TVs only had a single component input and you might want to reserve that for a PS3 or an Xbox.

What make and model TV are we talking about?

What level of gaming console?

Its whatever looks best on your television.

I got a 32 inch sony trinitron which is about 10 years old. Its got S-video, but the picture actually looks better using composit.

I can do component video also and get HD, but the TV forces me to 16x9 mode which its easier to watch SD/

on my 27", 36" and 40" 4x3 sony crt's, if you use the component input's it will only be a 16x9 pic with the top and bottom black. an example would be a HD channel that is showing a non HD show, like maybe the local news, will be a postage stamp pic, none of the zooming will allow it to fill screen to the top and bottom, only stretch it sideways. I use S video for the best pic.

Given the specs on the TV, I'd say that the S input is going to be your friend on Input 1 or 3. Note that you must not simultaneously connect devices to the Input 1 S jack and the Input 1 composite jack. Also beware that Input 3 is either composite or component but not both.

One of the "consoles" (the Jaguar doesn't really qualify as a console) will need to plug in up front (Input 2) if you want them all connected all the time.

I had a 27" Panasonic tau CRT since 2005. it's best to use 480i via component input from dish IRD. svideo only has 320i which is lower than component! rock on! =P

I had a 27" Panasonic tau CRT since 2005. it's best to use 480i via component input from dish IRD. svideo only has 320i which is lower than component! rock on! =P
Although I'm pretty sure it was not your intention, it sounds like your making things up. The color resolution for S video is about 120 lines (horizontal; DVD is specified at 250 lines, VHS is specified at 30 lines). Otherwise, it supports up to 576i for PAL displays.

I can't see connecting an HD receiver to an SDTV just to utilize a component connection, but it is certainly possible. Then again, I'm not trying to set up a home gaming technology museum in my home.

In the past I was using my 36" Sony Wega tv with my Directv HD DVR and I set the receiver to 480i and then hooked up my DVR component to my amp and then component from amp to tv and it work great & gave me a better picture then S-Vid did.