Question about satellite installation...

Pyrophoric

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 16, 2004
Ok, I am a newb when it comes to satellite tv and am getting it installed for the first time this week.

Atm, all I know is that I am getting a DVR 522 from Dish Network and the installer is from a local satellite install company.

So, what should I look for or be aware of when the guy comes? I mean, should be aware of what type/model dish I am getting, if its new, or even if the DVR is outta the box new?

I used to work for the local cable company till I quit so I do know a good bit about cable in general but almost nothing about satellite.

Basically, what should I expect from the installer when he comes out?

Thx a ton ahead of time for any info and thx to those who have already helped me with my past questions :)

The 522 is a DVR dual-tuner receiver used to operate two TVs independently in dual mode or one TV in PIP using single mode. Just be aware that the receiver must be plugged into a phone line to use the PPV, billing, etc, via the remote. If it is not plugged into the phone line, a $5 a month charge will be added to your bill. Also, the 522 requires two RG6 cables for the sat feeds to the dual tuner. Unless of course the installer has the relatively newly released DPP separator and DPP Twin (I doubt they carry them yet). Then the second TV signal is sent to your second TV location, this is usually done by diplexing the signal back on one of the two sat feed lines. With this considered, you may want to find which TV location will be best for the receiver installation, which has a phone line accessible, which has two cables, which is easiest to get a second cable to, can it be wall fished. I am not sure if your installer will charge for wall fishing or are you OK with exterior lines. You may consider running your own lines, just remember the sat feed lines must be RG6. I install these systems all the time and although it is challenging because of two sat feeds needed and the proximity to a phone line, I usually have no problem but the lengthy time needed to complete the job. I really like the system and cannot wait for the DPP separator and DPP Twin to become available to me. Enjoy!

Hrm, silly question maybe but .. am I getting 2 sats or one?

As well, I am going to be using the 522 on one tv. I heard the idea of single tv use has to be done a certain way because Dish hasnt officially set it up or something. Is that true or how does it all work?

Thx btw :)

The instalation will be the same for only one tv with the exeption that no cable will run from the back of your receiver to the second room. The 522 has a button on the front to select from dual user (two tv's) or single user mode. Single user mode allows the PIP to function. The PIP uses the same tuner that the second TV would, so the 522 just gives the option to press a button and choose. You should just have one sat dish unless you are getting locals and they asked you about installing a second dish for a select few must carry channels, or you are getting international programming. What programming and what locals did you get?

I am getting Americas Top 180 with locals. Thats why I was wondering about the second dish, cause the local channels.

Well, I looked and saw that Florida didnt use Superdish so that is out, right?

Either way, am in Tallahassee :)

If you go to the following link and type in your address, it will bring up another screen with the option to view the channels in your local area. It will say Click here to see a list of the channels in the package. If any of the channels has a * you will have the choice of a second dish. Some local market areas only have the major networks (Fox NBC CBS ABC) on the 110 sat and put the other less desired locals on 61.5 for the east coast. If not your install will consist of 1 dish 500 (picks up 119/110) with a dp twin lnbf with two RG6 cables running from the lnbf to the 522 and that would be it.

http://customersupport.dishnetwork.com/customernetqual/nqCustomerLocalsCheck.jsp

Hey, does the PIP feature work any diff/better than it did months ago?

I was reading one post from around Jan of this year where the PIP only worked if you hooked up both tuners to the same tv and it didnt even work that well.

How is it now?

I'll assume you meant to same "hooked up both tuners OUTPUTS to the same TV".

You might be confusing TV PiP with 522 PiP, from before single mode became available.

When in single mode, both outputs show the same thing, and PiP is done inside the 522.

Awesome! That is what I wanted to know. Thx :)

Oh, I thought of another question :) LOL

Should I personally check the signal strength before the guy leaves? If so, what am I looking for? :)

Thx again :)

You use transponders 11 & 12 on the 110 & 119 birds.

You should see something around 100 on each.

It DOES vary by receiver type, and some other factors.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts