Question about service technician fees

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Doppy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 24, 2006
Is there a fee for a service technician if the problem deals with the alignment and tightness of the dish on the roof which is giving you a low signal strength causing your picture to break up? I called Dish and they insist I must pay $100 or subscribe to the $5.99 a month warranty plan.

I would think that if it's a fairly new install & still under warranty, it would be free. If not you could pay up or realign it yourself, which is not too hard. Maybe get the 5.99 plan and then cancel after you get your work done?

Call a local Dish dealer and ask them what the charge would be, if you have correctly determined what your problem is. Otherwise, if the installation is past the origional service call warrenty period, you should expect to pay the customary $99 {roll a truck} charge.

I would think that if it's a fairly new install & still under warranty, it would be free. If not you could pay up or realign it yourself, which is not too hard. Maybe get the 5.99 plan and then cancel after you get your work done?

Wouldn't recommend signing up...then dropping the DHPP coverage. This has been done, but the record is placed on the account and when a second request to have the DHPP contract is made, down the road, that request may not be available. Good luck :):)

Is there a fee for a service technician if the problem deals with the alignment and tightness of the dish on the roof which is giving you a low signal strength causing your picture to break up? I called Dish and they insist I must pay $100 or subscribe to the $5.99 a month warranty plan.

good luck getting a retailer to fix it for less than that.

just wondering if there is a fee when the muffler falls off your car and you need the mechanic to fix it.........

good luck getting a retailer to fix it for less than that.

just wondering if there is a fee when the muffler falls off your car and you need the mechanic to fix it.........

It ain't my dish though, it's theirs. And I pay them a monthly fee for what should be uninterrupted service. I don't understand why they require an additional fee for what should be routine maintenence. If my DSL breaks there isn't a fee to fix the wires outside.

It ain't my dish though, it's theirs. And I pay them a monthly fee for what should be uninterrupted service. I don't understand why they require an additional fee for what should be routine maintenence. If my DSL breaks there isn't a fee to fix the wires outside.

actually, the Dish itself becomes your property. the receivers and LNB may be leased. you pay for monthly PROGRAMMING, that Dish has to pay other people for to enable you to get it. it aint cheap.

because you pay for gas in your car does that mean your auto maker should keep your car working for nothing??

i just dont understand how people have a problem paying for maintenance on a dish. if you were a tech, would you like working for NOTHING?

i just dont get it.

But there IS a fee if the wires are in the inside, yes? By your analogy, that's exactly what is comparable with having the dish at YOUR home.

I service commercial VSAT systems. I charge $80/hr on site and $1.00/mile round trip. 90 day warrantee on dish aiming. Dish pays their guys a lot less.

Regards, Eric

I service commercial VSAT systems. I charge $80/hr on site and $1.00/mile round trip. 90 day warrantee on dish aiming. Dish pays their guys a lot less.

Regards, Eric

and im sure this system is not in warranty.....otherwise this wouldnt be an issue. If its my fault, I'll fix it for free during the warranty. After that it costs $$$$$$. Not a very difficult concept.

Some of my favorites:

My husband hit the dish pole with the riding mower a few times. Why do I have to pay????

We had a BIG storm last night, now the Dish doesnt work (not to mention the big trees laying on my house and garage). Why do I have to pay????

I moved the box to the other room and now it dont work. Why do I have to pay???

Vandals wrecked my dish. Why do I have to pay????

That Dish has been up there forever, stopped working. Why do I have to pay????

I got a new roof and the roofers SWEAR they put it exactly back! Why do I have to pay????

etc etc etc.

None of these things are either Dish's fault or the Techs fault.

Why Do I Have To Pay?????!!!!!!!!!

I got a new roof and the roofers SWEAR they put it exactly back! Why do I have to pay????

etc etc etc.

None of these things are either Dish's fault or the Techs fault.

Why Do I Have To Pay?????!!!!!!!!!

I had one the other day when the guy put the new roof on the house himself... i got there, he claimed he worked around the dish and didn't touch it.
I got the ladder out, climbed up there, and told him "wow, you are the best roofer ever, you managed to get the new shingles under the mast without removing the lag bolts?" he stuck with his story for about 5 minutes then he finally gave up. Still was pissed about paying the service call fee, even though it was damage caused by him. hell, he only put 2 lags back in anyway, and didnt even tighten them down all the way.

Stop the hand wringing: I would suggest you take the warranty plan. It will come in handy and save you from the hassle and heartache of having to pay shipping costs.

I do work for free when the service (bug spraying) people have paid me for doesn't work.

I don't own any of the Dish equipment. I lease the 622, so it is technically theirs, I just have the pleasure of using it. So when the service doesn't work, the money I pay them monthly should cover anything that goes wrong with my system, from replacing broken receivers, to sending someone out to mess with the dish.

^ Exactly. I never said technicians shouldn't get paid, that's absurd. Just I shouldn't be the one having to pay them as I already pay Dish a large sum of money every month.

^ Exactly. I never said technicians shouldn't get paid, that's absurd. Just I shouldn't be the one having to pay them as I already pay Dish a large sum of money every month.
It's the same with phone companies unless you pay a monthly fee. This is America...PAY UP!!

I do work for free when the service (bug spraying) people have paid me for doesn't work.

I don't own any of the Dish equipment. I lease the 622, so it is technically theirs, I just have the pleasure of using it. So when the service doesn't work, the money I pay them monthly should cover anything that goes wrong with my system, from replacing broken receivers, to sending someone out to mess with the dish.

Key word...LEASE. Whenever you LEASE a car, are you not responsible for any sort of maintenance? ;)

You know, when mini-dishes first came out, there was a big difference in monthly price versus cable. The main reason was that cable had all of their maintenance costs built in to their pricing so if anything at a customer's home or anywhere in their grid something was wrong, it was absorbed by the cable company and eventually passed on to the customer. This really sucked for the guy who never needed a service call as he was basically paying for everyone else's service call. With satellite at the time, you bought your system, you paid for the install or did it yourself, and if you needed service or parts, you bought them yourself. The great thing was, your bill was a lot lower than cable.

Fast forward to today. Both services now offer up everything under the sun for free, give free service calls, etc. Now they are absorbing the cost of maintenance into their overhead and passing it on to the customer. Now the price between satellite and cable isn't all that different. Free everything just seems to make the monthly bill higher. That sucks. They should have left it as a pay your own way setup. However, they wanted customers so badly that now they pander to the cheap people who demand free everything and we all suffer for it.

Depends. If the muffler is old and things have rusted, yeah, you should have to pay for that. But if the car only has 10,000 miles on it and the muffler fell off because of poor build quality or flawed design, then no, you shouldn't have to pay. The repair tech who fixes the muffler in this second situation still gets paid - just not by you, but by the manufacturer.

How long since a Dish tech last worked on the dish? Does this dish have recurring alignment problems? If it's been working forever and just now developed a problem after years of use you'll probably have to pay. Or disconnect, and move on to a different service. If you're pretty sure it's an alignment problem, no harm in trying to learn how to align it yourself. If you fail, things are no worse than they were before (hopefully!) and then you can decide to pay someone to come out and fix it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)