Question about service technician fees

So its been about 60 days, maybe not even that long since a tech has been out and I'm still getting the same problem. Everyday my roommate dvr's Nash Bridges on WGN HD. Its terrible about cutting out. He says its everyday. I personally am more of an internet junkie than tv. Though I do watch some, I would say that 99 percent of the time I dont see a thing wrong, suddenly you will just be watching a beautiful picture and it could be a local, SD, or HD channel and it starts pixelating. Bright sunshiny out not clouds or a clear night too.I don't think the tech that was here last actually re-pointed the Dish. I asked him what he did and he said he changed something on the dish, he didn't say anything about re pointing it. Wouldn't one assume that to be a logical fix if one has low signal? If I call Dish, would they have a record of what the tech did? I'm afraid to attempt to re point it myself as this is definitely not my field of expertise. And if the tech gives me their card, if I call them and ask them about it, is that work warrantied as well or do I got through Dish? Based on reading this forum, I want to take advantage of the 90 day warranty since I already paid originally and the problem, albeit not horribly bad is still not working 100 percent of the time. I hate to sound picky but.

Call us ASAP. As far as what the tech did, it may or may not be in the acct. notes. The signal loss may not necessarily be due to the alignment, either. If you're within your 90 days, which you say you are, there is no sense in waiting. This problem does *not* clear up on its own.

Dishcomm

When you said "based on your description, thats an ongoing problem for a system that has never worked correctly." What did you mean by that?

If I call the tech directly that gave me his card. Is his work warrantied or do I need to call Dish directly. I know it hasn't been 90 days and there is nothing based on what you say the exception's to warranties are that apply to me. My roommate DVR's Nash Bridges everyday and says its really bad. I actually set my 622 in the living room to tape this Monday as well just to see if it does it on my 622. I know both 622's will give drop outs and pixelation whether it be SD/HD or a local channel and whether it be live tv or DVR'D tv. I wonder why the last two techs that were here didn't try to re point the Dish. This is not my field of expertise but I would assume that would be a probable fix. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong. He did change something on the Dish, but I'm pretty sure he didn't re point it.

With that in mind, if myself or another advanced tech agent can tell if the LNB is bad, we can (and do) ship them out if the customer requests it.
For any customer who requests it (after you have verified it's really the LNB), or only to the DHPP customers? The LNB is owned by Dish, correct? Is the non-DHPP-customer expected to pay for the replacement part if it goes bad, or only for the truck roll to have a tech do the replacing?

I am a tech who works for two retailers. I like doing service calls. Dish Network does not pay the retailers to pay me to roll out DHPP or not. all of my money comes from the customer on sight. I also advertise on my truck for service work. I never tell anyone anything less than $75.00 for the truck roll. I don't care if they don't want to pay - just means i dont have to waste my time and gas going there. when they do want to pay, I give them the best service I can, I want them to recomend me to their friends. sometimes it is better to pay an independant for better quality work. Dish network does not forward all of the $99 to the service tech and $29.99 does not go very far after gas. I also have to pay the retailers an outrageous amount for the refferral and half the time they get jewed down by the customer to a point where i cannot afford to roll out.
Another factor that is being overlooked - how many customers are legitamate? how many cabins / second homes have I been to. How often do I have to overlook things? The biggest thing that ticks me off - systems that have been in for awhile (5+ years), out in the elements, I think these things work pretty well. Sooner or later something will give.
In the end most often I will quote my price and the customer will let me go to check out other places and they usually call back in a few days (tired of no tv) and agree to pay my price. And I give them the best service I can. I roll out with all the parts to the system except receivers. I offer to upgrade superdishes without the new two year contract. Please don't ask me to give you anything for free, I have to pay for it before i can get it. I am just fortunate to be able to have the stuff on my truck so you don't have to wait and or pay shipping. you just need to buy it outright. Lease or no Lease who is going to use it after you use it? NO ONE! The only reason they do leases is so that the stuff does'nt get into the hands of FTA experimentors.

good luck getting a retailer to fix it for less than that.

just wondering if there is a fee when the muffler falls off your car and you need the mechanic to fix it.........

If the muffler falls off not due to normal wear, but due to incompetent build, then the manufacturer should foot the bill. In my case, the Dish technician specifically told me that the guys who installed my Dish did it incorrectly, and may have damaged my roof in the process. I'm not sure why I should have to pay $29 because Dish screwed up my roof.

Dish's standard warranty is 90 days - full coverage.
If we just came out, even for another problem, and you have another problem within 90 days of that previous trip, you're still covered. Same as if you were just installed.

After 90 days, if you don't have the DHPP, any problems that require a Technician Truck Roll cost you $99. Your hardware is still covered (I believe for a year), but you are paying for the labor involved (part of it anyway... it actually costs Dish quite a bit more every time a truck has to roll)

WITH the DHPP (free for the first year if you sign up at activation, afterwards, $5.99/month) once you get past your 90 day warranty, Truck Rolls cost you $29.

There are ways to get the fees waived though... but technically, if they do that they are making a special exception and will not do so repeatedly. Use your leverage wisely.

Just to clarify, under the current 24 month contract DHPP is only free for 9 months, not a year as it was previously stated by tastim. See the current 24mo contract here:

DISH Network -- Digital Home Advantage
Page 1, Para 3 "Term Agreement Option and Cancellation Fee"

I believe the coverage length is still the same... they just fixed the wording because people thought they get a year on TOP of the 3 month standard warranty... when in reality it was good for a year from when you first activated..... so it works out to the same.

I have to disagree. On my most first bill, it showed a charge for DHPP, and then a credit "1 of 9" for DHPP discount or something like that. So...that tells me that I'm only getting 9 months...

This thread made me think a bit. I guess I do agree to an extent that something like alignment is wear and tear and should incur a charge but people in this thread who say things like "well do you work for free", etc. - well, I think the person making the argument isn't saying that the installer should fix it for free, but that Dish should pay the installer to fix it.

That made me think, though - I've had Time Warner come out to fix some issues twice over the last two years and was not charged a fee. One of them was because a splitter I had put in place was faulty and the other time was because the connections on the side of my house were loose. Given the reasoning for Dish to charge for alignment, you'd think that Time Warner would charge for these ridiculously simple fixes that could have been very well caused by myself - even maliciously. But they didn't, and I guess that is why I think the alignment question about whether or not they charge is a valid question. Dish should make that part of the fine print more conspicuous to people because I never realized that - and for people, perhaps the elderly, who are unable to do this on their own - it would be useful if they came right out and told them.

This made me think of another thing. A month ago, when I upgraded to HD and had a DPP44 put in, the installer forgot to install the power inserter. After problems of getting in contact with the installer (Dish Network LLC - and they wouldn't call me back), I spoke to Dish via online chat and they finally sent me one via mail.

What if I didn't know a power inserter should have been installed - and as a result - 100 days later, my 722 blows up. Am I liable for the repair/replacement of the 722 that is leased? I mean, I can't possibly be expected to know that a power inserter should have been installed.

Anyway, I didn't mean to wander off. This thread really put a lot of thought in my head about how much the end user is liable for stuff if you don't have the DHPP. I guess indeed it's like that with other services - and maybe Time Warner chalked those issues up as being their fault for some reason.

I signed a contract with Dish for TV service. I think Dish should be responsible for getting the signal in to my house. If there is a problem with inside wiring, after the hand off, then it's my problem. The receiver, dish, and outside wiring are their problem, imo. Much like telephone or electric service. If an electric pole in my yard falls down, I don't have to pay for the pole to be put back up.

I have to disagree. On my most first bill, it showed a charge for DHPP, and then a credit "1 of 9" for DHPP discount or something like that. So...that tells me that I'm only getting 9 months...
That is correct, DHPP is free for the first 9 months of service. If a repair is made on the system, only the repair and any related EQ replaced is covered on the next 90 days..
If one wishes to have the fee waived, Dish will do this only ONE TIME.

So its been about 60 days, maybe not even that long since a tech has been out and I'm still getting the same problem. Everyday my roommate dvr's Nash Bridges on WGN HD. Its terrible about cutting out. He says its everyday. I personally am more of an internet junkie than tv. Though I do watch some, I would say that 99 percent of the time I dont see a thing wrong, suddenly you will just be watching a beautiful picture and it could be a local, SD, or HD channel and it starts pixelating. Bright sunshiny out not clouds or a clear night too.I don't think the tech that was here last actually re-pointed the Dish. I asked him what he did and he said he changed something on the dish, he didn't say anything about re pointing it. Wouldn't one assume that to be a logical fix if one has low signal? If I call Dish, would they have a record of what the tech did? I'm afraid to attempt to re point it myself as this is definitely not my field of expertise. And if the tech gives me their card, if I call them and ask them about it, is that work warrantied as well or do I got through Dish? Based on reading this forum, I want to take advantage of the 90 day warranty since I already paid originally and the problem, albeit not horribly bad is still not working 100 percent of the time. I hate to sound picky but.

All activities performed by a tech are to be listed or described on the Service Agreement. Customer should retain the copy of each document they sign.

If I was weighing 100 bucks vs. 6 bucks a month, I think I'd tell my wife to watch the point dish screen while I go to work with a 7/16 wrench, myself

I guess I'm cheap like that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)