Question about signing up for dish

tiger73

Original poster
Oct 14, 2017
Texas
I was pretty set on switching from cable to dish but had some problems with sign-up process I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on.

I went through the signup process online and selected a 4k hopper and 4 4k joeys for our 5 tvs. After the credit check process it changed all the equipment to non-4k variants and added a super joey. I have top tier credit so I am not sure why that would have happened. For that matter, I am not sure why the credit check would determine if I get 4k boxes or not.

Is this a common issue and does anyone have any advice?

Thanks!

I was pretty set on switching from cable to dish but had some problems with sign-up process I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on.

I went through the signup process online and selected a 4k hopper and 4 4k joeys for our 5 tvs. After the credit check process it changed all the equipment to non-4k variants and added a super joey. I have top tier credit so I am not sure why that would have happened. For that matter, I am not sure why the credit check would determine if I get 4k boxes or not.

Thanks!
I assume you are aware that each 4K J toey will cost you an up front $50 per? There may be a limit to how many 4K's per household. But in reality, the only reason to have that many 4K joeys is just for all of them to watch the upcoming Olympics and and just a handful of of college football games. Other than those exceptions, there is no 4K to watch, other than a few Netflix programs. Plus if any of your TV's are smaller than 60", 4K would be a waste of money!

I understand that today there is very little 4k content but I will be in an agreement for 2 years so my thinking is might as well get the 4k boxes since I am starting from nothing.

What does it take for dish to qualify you for the 4k joeys and the hopper 3 offer?

I understand that today there is very little 4k content but I will be in an agreement for 2 years so my thinking is might as well get the 4k boxes since I am starting from nothing.

What does it take for dish to qualify you for the 4k joeys and the hopper 3 offer?

Same thing happened to me when I signed up a couple months ago. I didn't realize they changed the equipment until I had already signed up on-line. I ended up asking Matt G (DIRT) that works for Dish... sent him a message on here and he got things the way they were supposed to be.

Good choice in wanting 4K Joeys. Despite the lack of 4K programming, 4K Joeys are MUCH faster than Joey 2’s. I have 4K Joeys just for the speed. I don’t even have 4K TVs.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I'm not sure I would use the online process to sign up, but I've never done it so I don't know how well it works. Or I'm just old fashioned and prefer to talk to someone. Plus a live person gives you the opportunity to try and haggle some upfront fees. I've seen a lot of installs for Super Joeys lately on 4 and 5 room installs and the H3 shortage is probably the reason but long term and if you record a lot, I would stand my ground on a Hopper 3.

Wonder if there'll ever be 4K WiFi Joeys......

I'm not sure I would use the online process to sign up, but I've never done it so I don't know how well it works. Or I'm just old fashioned and prefer to talk to someone. Plus a live person gives you the opportunity to try and haggle some upfront fees. I've seen a lot of installs for Super Joeys lately on 4 and 5 room installs and the H3 shortage is probably the reason but long term and if you record a lot, I would stand my ground on a Hopper 3.

Wonder if there'll ever be 4K WiFi Joeys......

The only good way to get the bandwidth for that is with the new 802.11ad standard. With the frequency that runs on it wouldn’t pass through walls very well which would make it kind of pointless. Unless the access point is directly on the other side of the wall (assuming the studs are wood and the wall is drywall) that the receiver is there’s a pretty good chance you’d be better off just having a wired receiver.

Reactions: HipKat
Thanks for the help and advice.

I spent a little over an hour with them in chat and while they were able to get the h3 and the 4k joeys, they wanted to charge me a premium for the h3. I knew I was going to have to pay $50 for each of the joeys but I didn't see anywhere that there was a premium for the h3 as well.

Are the results likely to be different between call and chat? I went through chat because I like to read what I am committing to before I sign-up but I can call if I need to.

How is ongoing service with Dish? I beginning to get a little worried given how many hoops I am having to go through just to sign-up for their services.

Service depends totally on who you get on the other end of the line. I have had many knowledgeable and capable CSRs, and I have had some that probably couldn't repeat their own name 3 times without getting it wrong twice.
I made a change today and was assured several times on chat with India that I was getting exactly what I asked for, even though I was assured here that it could not be done. Well I called and said it didn't happen, fix it. I was told it can't be done. I escalated the call. Nope, the system won't allow it. Since I already knew that, I have let it drop for now.
Maybe I'll find a way to convince Charlie to allow me to add Fox News to my Welcome Pack. Maybe Charlie will even comp my service for the next year or two. Maybe even throw in a new car while he's at it.

I was just looking back through my chat transcript and noticed the salesperson told me the h3 normally cost $1400 so I should not worry about a small up charge. :confused:

I do have a single local retailer. Name of the company sounds a little shady but I guess I could give them a call.

Or you could be patient and wait a few months for the inventory to improve...

That’s my plan. I figure once they have a good inventory it’ll be cheaper to upgrade. Right now I would have to pay $150 Plus the $10 for a tech to come out. Once inventory is good I figure I can talk them down to $50 and free tech visit since I’d be signing a new contract anyways.

Thanks!

Not sure if you saw the thread I started about NCTUE. It is a different consumer credit database that Dish uses to determine credit-worthiness. You can call to get a copy of your report for free: 1-866-349-5185. Mine had some glaring inaccuracies. Might be worth your time.

Consumer Info