Question about swapping a used receiver and low signals...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

redneckincanada

Original poster
Oct 26, 2019
Missouri
Hey guys,

I currently have one VIP211k connected to two sat dishes (one for 129 and the other for 110,119) and just a few days ago I went from having 65-70 for a signal strength to 35-40 (and also no tv signal now).

First thing I did was check the dishes on the roof, and they are showing the signal should be 70-75, and it's clear and sunny outside with no new obstructions.

With that said, up until a few months ago, I have my VIP211k stacked on top of my amplifier (I know, stupid) for many, many years until a buddy was over one day and said "hey, that could be a problem in the future" so since then (only the last few months) it has sat on it's own and I even went as far as to buy a cooling fan for it.

Anyways, I'm thinking this VIP211k might be fried now from my stacking it for so many years even though it still worked for a while after I unstacked it, and I was wondering if I bought a new or used one from ebay (as long as it's not reported stolen obviously) could I swap it out without having to call Dish?
Would Dish even allow this or would they make me buy one from them?

Also, is there an older (but newer than VIP211K) that you guys recommend that I could buy that would be better than the VIP211k? Maybe something that has a built in DVR perhaps or just better features?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

I believe you could buy another used 211/211k/211z or a Wally (newest GUI) and call Dish and have them swap it. You cannot just buy another receiver and plug it in and have it work because these receivers are authorized individually. Any of those can be turned into a DVR with the payment of a one time $40 fee and addition of your own external disk.

If you want a DVR with internal disk, you are talking a Hopper of some sort, depending upon how many outlets you want.

I would explore possible failures elsewhere, unless "no TV signal now" literally means that, as opposed to no programming. If you are using the 211 to show you the signal "strength", then I would expect the problem to be elsewhere. How do you combine your signals from the two dishes?

Reactions: JSheridan
First make sure there are no obstructions - a tree limb or anything else.
I am assuming you have done a hard reset. (unplugged the receiver waited a little bit and plug back in
You could go through all channels and if any have a good signal, then see if there is a pattern to it, another words if you can narrow it down to either the 129 satellite or the two others 110/119

Based on those results then check all connections carefully, see if anywhere it seems wet where it should be dry etc. Any animals gnaw through any cables? If all satellites are impacted that should indicate more of where to look and if one or two are impacted that should indicate more of where to look. I am leaning away from a receiver problem but obviously that can't be ruled out.

Reactions: TheKrell
Thanks for the replies.

To answer your questions, yes I tried the unplug/plug in thing.
There aren't any obstructions.
I did check the cables, and they are good all the way up to the dish.
I already have an external HDD hooked up to my current vip211k, i just wanted something a little newer with something built in.
Anyways, I'm out of ideas here. This sucks.

I already have an external HDD hooked up to my current vip211k, i just wanted something a little newer with something built in.

I would recommend a Wally using the same account which had the 211k/EHD combo. (You have to call Dish to make that swap.) This gives you two satellite tuners and (with the addition of a USB OTA adapter) two OTA tuners as well, all of which can be used to record with your EHD plugged in. If you go with a Hopper (disk built in), the monthly cost will go up.

Reactions: redneckincanada

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)