Question About tuners

am7crew

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
So the hopper allows 3 HD recordings when not in prime time hours, Im wondering if the hopper is recording 3 things can the Joey's in the other rooms still watch different live TV at the same time?

With the Hopper, you can record more than 24 hours a day on one tuner (with PTAT)!

I hope there's an afterlife so I can catch up on all my TV viewing. :D

Last edited:
am7crew said:
So the hopper allows 3 HD recordings when not in prime time hours, Im wondering if the hopper is recording 3 things can the Joey's in the other rooms still watch different live TV at the same time?

Lets break this down just a bit, the hopper contains 3 tuners, the joeys "read" these tuners when in use, they do not have thier own tuners, so if your 3 tuners on your hopper are recording, that is all that is available.

You can always watch prerecorded stuff while its recording.

Lets break this down just a bit, the hopper contains 3 tuners, the joeys "read" these tuners when in use, they do not have thier own tuners, so if your 3 tuners on your hopper are recording, that is all that is available.

You can always watch prerecorded stuff while its recording.

I know that PTAT takes up 1 tuner, but does anyone know if PTAT takes over that tuner for the hours of PTAT only or once activated that tuner is designated for PTAT all the time. In other words, lets say that on a Saturday or Sunday I am recording a football game or a NASCAR race during the day outside of PTAT times will I be recording on 1 turner have 2 open or am I recording on 1 turner, with 1 tuner for PTAT and have 1 tuner open.

Outside of prime time, all three tuners are available. Remember, PTAT can be disabled any time.

Great, thank you...I just don't want to have to keep turning PTAT on and off everyday...or remembering to turn it back on if I turned it off.
It would be nice though if we could check a box for which days of the week that we want PTAT active.

If you need more than two sat tuners at a time active I think a person should just get a second hopper and only keep ptat active on one of them. Then you would have access to 5 sat tuners and it wouldn't matter if ptat is recording. AFter all the ptat is on DISH's portion of the hard drive and it won't effect your recording space.

Another question - how does the SlingAdapter interact with the tuners - I'm assuming that I'm viewing one recorded programs on an Ipad - one tuner is occupied? Am I able to view the same recorded program on two Ipads (at the same time)?

A tuner is only in use if you are watching live TV. If you're watching a recorded show on your iPad it will have no effect on the tuners or Joeys at all AFAIK.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts