Question about upgrade from 942 to VIP622...

Sicemdawgs

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 22, 2004
Suwanee, GA
I want to upgrade from the 942 (leased) to the 622, primarily for ESPN2 HD, UHD and any new HD channels that are added. I pick up the Atlanta locals OTA, so that is not as important (although it would allow me to record 2-3 HD locals simultaneously).

I have a Dish 500 pointed at 110/119 and a Dish 500 (single LNB) pointed at 61.5.

My question involves the Dish. Should I accept a Dish 1000 or have them repoint a Dish 500 to 129? I have read that Atlanta HD locals are hard to pick up on 129 and a separate Dish might be easier.

And with the announcement of the new Dishes (500+, 1000+ and 1000.2), would it be easier to go with my 2 Dishes until this is sorted out?

Thanks!

I'd say keep what you have, and if you want your HD LiLs, repoint the single LNB dish. If you keep your present equipment you can probably self-activate if you lease the 622, certainly if you purchase it...

I have a dumm qustion (sorry if that was explained before), what is "LiLs"? I have read such term in many posts, but could not figure that out.....

Thanks in advance.

(I figured if I did not ask this dumm question, I will just be dummer down the road :)

When is the last day to take advantage of the $99 ($299 upfront - $200 Credit)" Upgrade offer. I'm ready but just wondering if I wait till the last minute if I might get the Dish1000+ as part of my installation?

Thanks in advance,
cegarrett

hzhao said:
I have a dumm qustion (sorry if that was explained before), what is "LiLs"? I have read such term in many posts, but could not figure that out.....

Thanks in advance.

(I figured if I did not ask this dumm question, I will just be dummer down the road :)
The only "dumm" (dumb?) question is the one left unasked! The acronym LiL is "Local-into-Local" and I just made it a plural, referring to locally-originated broadcasts uplinked to the satellites for retransmission to a limited ("local") viewing area. So this is essentially your local channels that are available over-the-air also rebroadcast to you through the sat. system. There is a FCC mandate that you have your SD LiLs made available to you (for a price), but there is no mandate yet for HD LiLs. In many cases the HD LiLs are on a different sat. from the SD LiLs, so you need to plan for that. In E*'s case most of the local SD LiLs have been moved to spotbeams on E10 at the 110 deg. slot. Many HD LiLs like Atlanta's are, at least for now, on 129...

BRgds...

Last edited:
I would bet that it will be extended past that date. The push is going to be to get more people to switch. I can only think that the deals will get better over time, not worse.

lakebum431 said:
I would bet that it will be extended past that date. The push is going to be to get more people to switch. I can only think that the deals will get better over time, not worse.
Agreed - They want to milk all they can out of us early adopters, then the price will drop to maintain demand as the supply increases; standard S&D laws apply in this as well as any other elastic situation...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)