Question about Voice over IP set in my house

Briguy

SatelliteGuys Family
Apr 5, 2004
So I am using Voice over IP through T Mobile. I am using AT&T for my DSL provider as well. Never though about the phone line thing when I started my Dish Network account back up. Is the only option I have is to run an Ethernet connection to my router in a completely different room??? What about my 522 on the second level of the house? I called up Dish and the first tech told me to hook my phone line into the wall with a DSL filter and plug the phone line into the DSL side of the filter which would give me the ethernet connection. Is that right? The second rep I call stumbled around and then asked me to call the back and select their internet tech support team for assistance. Just looking for a simple answer. Thanks for your help.

Briguy

SatelliteGuys Family
Apr 5, 2004
No I am using T Mobile's Voice over IP for my phone service. I am using AT&T for my DSL service.

neoabacus

SatelliteGuys Family
Aug 19, 2008
dayton,oh
in that case you need to run a cable from your router (or add a wireless connector (pelican has a good one wirless with one ethernet connection out )

or run a phone line from you VOIP router to the receiver

Last edited:

rcdallas

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 3, 2006
West Texas (midland)
There's something you can try, I am assuming that you have existing phone outlets at your television.

Normally for people with VOIP like vonage who are not using any other telephone service you could go into your telephone NID (the grey box outside your home) and disconnect ma bell, then "backfeed" your vonage box into a phone outlet so it'll feed your whole house.

This my idea, never tried it but I wonder if it would work...

Use the DSL filter, the DATA/Phone one and plug that into your phone outlet, plug your modem on the data side, then plug your tmobile box into the phone side...

Now use the rest of your filters wherever you have a phone.

This is experimental whatever happens is on your own shoulders...

wolrah

Jul 30, 2007
The above backfeeding suggestion works great, but modems don't work very well over VoIP. It may or may not do what you need. I support VoIP systems for a living, but I'm running a 722 over Ethernet so I haven't even tried.

harshness

SatelliteGuys Master
May 5, 2007
Salem, OR
For whatever reason, DISH hasn't seen fit to fully implement the Internet connection as a replacement for the phone line. It works for getting you out of having to pay an additional tuner fee, but you can't do much of the interactive stuff with it like checking your bill or upgrading your services.

If the issue is getting dinged for the extra tuner fee, run an Ethernet cable to the STB or buy a HomePlug adapter and hook that to your router.

djmaui

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 7, 2008
Maui
I have heard that Vonage VoIP works with the Dish modem, but several others don't. My 722 won't recognize my VoIP line (my provider is Hawaii-based 808Netfone).

I hope Dish can resolve this soon.

djmaui

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 7, 2008
Maui
Hooked up my VoIP line again to see if anything improved. It worked like a charm. Either my VoIP carrier (808NetFone Hawaii) or one of the recent e* software updates took care of it. :D

ILv2Xlr8

SatelliteGuys Family
Aug 1, 2007
I have heard that Vonage VoIP works with the Dish modem, but several others don't. My 722 won't recognize my VoIP line (my provider is Hawaii-based 808Netfone).

I hope Dish can resolve this soon.

I have vonage as well and it has worked flawless with my dish receivers and alarms systems.

I have my alarm hooked directly to the vonage VoIP bridge and from my alarm to the rest of the home phone lines. You must disconnect the hard line from the telephone company at the grey wall wort that is on the side of your house or in your garage.

I done this at two homes without a problem so far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts