Question can an (ATsc)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The FCC website states
https://www.fcc.gov/reports-research/guides/dtv-enforcement
Congress has mandated that after February 17, 2009, television stations across the country must transmit only in digital signals, and may no longer transmit analog signals. After that date, consumers who rely on antennas (including outside antennas and "rabbit ears") to receive broadcast signals on TV sets having only analog tuners will need to obtain separate digital-to-analog set-top converter boxes to watch over-the-air TV.

The Commission's DTV-related enforcement efforts have focused on protecting consumers by enforcing our rules as this transition takes place. To date, the Commission has taken enforcement action in several areas: (1) the prohibition on the importation and shipment of television receivers without integrated digital tuners; (2) the labeling requirement for television receivers incapable of receiving over-the-air digital signals without a converter box; (3) the requirement that digital television receivers possess full V-Chip functionality, including not only the ability to block offensive programming, but also the ability to adjust to a future rating system; and (4) the DTV consumer education requirements for broadcasters, telecom carriers, cable operators, manufacturers, and others.

I interpret this as if it has an analog tuner. it must also have an ATSC tuner. However I don't see anything in the rules that require an analog tuner when it has ATSC. However, analog tuners are cheap and there are still enough analog cable channels and low power analog stations that it makes sense to include this capability. I also believe that modern ATSC tuner chips include the NTSC analog tuner.

OK so with my channel master 70001 should work well then when I first bot it I asked if I would receive more channel's with it and they told me no so I hooked it up and hit Scan I received 2 more channel's with it 90mails out in new yourk state with a antennas D 91xg 90ft hi agl, 20 with a cm-7777amp and no dropouts 80mails out in ct state channel's I received, 26,1 69,1 wtnh CH,8,vhf qbow bounce all out of ct,state. Signal 70%,and no dropouts in rainfall or snowfall or 50mph winds it wase niece ,

Reactions: jamesjimcie
Can an ATSC TV without an NTSC,function be manufactured, marketed and or imported into the united states under the FCC requirements.
Yes. There are quite a few DVRs and standalone tuners that don't support NTSC. This includes the current OTA equipment from Channel Master. While NTSC tuners are dirt cheap, producing a DVR (or a convertible tuner) that can record an NTSC program is not.

The 7001 was discontinued some time ago. It was originally offered at a time when NTSC was the official standard and there was a need for DTV converter boxes.

If the new channels you're receiving have .1 associated with them, they are ATSC channels and you're wasting your time fretting about about NTSC.

Yes. There are quite a few DVRs and standalone tuners that don't support NTSC. This includes the current OTA equipment from Channel Master. While NTSC tuners are dirt cheap, producing a DVR (or a convertible tuner) that can record an NTSC program is not.

The 7001 was discontinued some time ago. It was originally offered at a time when NTSC was the official standard and there was a need for DTV converter boxes.

If the new channels you're receiving have .1 associated with them, they are ATSC channels and you're wasting your time fretting about about NTSC.

Uh, he asked about TVs, not cable boxes, standalone tuners, etc. That is why I answered as I did.

Uh, he asked about TVs, not cable boxes, standalone tuners, etc. That is why I answered as I did.
He asked if TVs without NTSC could be offered. Supposing the condition that the TV features NTSC and arguing the reverse isn't logical.

While modern DTV tuner "modules" may include NTSC hardware, it may or may not be enabled. In the immediate future, it seems likely that the tuner configurations in retail TVs is going to change significantly and hybrid tuners would likely be a combination of DTV and ATSC 3.0. If or how they deal with the QAM side of things remains to be seen. If "cable ready" and CableCARDs in TVs were still a thing, I'm sure the modern TV tuner configuration would be quite different.

seems to me that is exactly what I answered in my first reply. I'm done. Go ahead and prove you are the 'expert' around here. You've already driven away the rest of the folks who answer these questions.

You know there are some leftover analogs statiosn like here in Albuquerque, NM KQDF-LD rf ch 25 Spanish TV Aztic and K38IM rf ch. 38 3ABN "REL".:):)

Low power NTSC broadcasts are indeed still out there (especially in areas where there's little to no competition for bandwidth), but that iceberg is melting fast.

The FCC is going to have to get hard-nosed about these previously declared DTV "hardship" cases since a good chunk of the available channels are going away with the repack.

The process is defined as part of the Incentive Auction:
LPTV rules said:
The FCC has established a new deadline for the termination of all analog operations by LPTV stations. That date is dependent upon the completion of the Commission’s incentive auction, which involves a repacking process that will displace some LPTV stations. Therefore, the Commission has determined to allow LPTV stations to wait until the incentive auction is complete before transitioning to digital. LPTV stations will have 12 months from the completion of the 39-month post-incentive auction transition (51 months from the completion of the incentive auction) to cease analog operations and begin operating in digital, at which point analog television will no longer exist in the United States. Until that time, LPTV stations may continue to operate their analog facilities.
With this in mind, it would appear that the current plan is to cease NTSC broadcasts no later than the Summer of 2021 (assuming those stations aren't forced to do something earlier by the repack).

Status
Please reply by conversation.