Question for cat owners...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fhsucade07

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 10, 2007
I have recently taken in a kitten. She looks to be about six weeks old and I plan on taking her to the vet within the next two weeks for an initial appointment and will take her back for spaying whenever advised by the veterinarian. She has QUICKLY and EASILY learned the litter box. However, she CONSTANTLY meows at night and is ALWAYS padding the bed, chair, or me. :) She does all of her sleeping during the day and, when I need mine at night, she's extremely vocal and loud. I got about an hour of sleep last night and finally resorted to just putting her away in the same room as her litter box, food, and water (which got me two hours of sleep from 8 o'clock until 10 this morning). Any suggestions? A friend of mine has advised me to either lock it away in the room during the night or to turn it into a no-kill shelter so somebody can occupy more of her time during the day. (I'm strongly against option number 2 -- I've always been able to care for my animals but this one seems different than the other three. The other three were males and this is a female).

It's really just a stage, but the padding is a sign it was removed from its mother too soon. You sort of have two choices here I think. You could either put the kitten away in a different room all night for a couple of weeks or you can try to find a soft plush animal for the kitten to pad on and then settle down to sleep with. Kittens are a lot like human babies - they tend to keep you up at night for awhile and wake up extremely early only to nap all day. One thing you want to watch out for is reinforcing bad behavior. If the animal is making noise and you get up to either feed it or give it attention, then you have reinforced that behavior.

Good Luck, and thanks for taking care of the kitten. We take in quite a number of cats and dogs. We live in a rural area and people abandon animals out here a lot. We just can't ever seem to be tough enough to take them to the shelter. But we have done it with aggressive animals.

i dont want to be the source of more concern but do be sure and check the little gal for knots or abrasions or whatever. wE had one wonder into the yard last april that was about the same age and acted the same (constant talking and stuff). she would get louder as wek picked her up and about a week after coming i noticed a knot area on her arm. she was put down about a week later with cancer. :( again im not wanting to alarm you but from my exp. (six cats with a few that have lived over 20 years) theyusually are trying to "tell" you something when they talk.

Thank you both for your responses. I have decided to sort of lock her away in an extra bedroom at night. She doesn't seem to be "destroying" anything and doesn't seem to have a destructive nature. I was also thinking of getting a box or purchasing a small cat bed for her and placing a stuffed animal with it.

As for her health, I am a bit concerned. She has all of the signs of a healthy kitten but, at the same time, is doing some things that I have never experienced. For one thing, some of her "poop" is runny. (I'm not trying to gross anybody out). And second, she does have a knot (about the size of a thumb tip) on her stomach. I have never had anything but a male in the past and don't know if this is "typical health stuff" for a female or if I should be alarmed. Honestly, when I found the knot, I was quite alarmed.

Definately have the knot checked out. Runny poop is normal in a kitten, especially when she is getting used to the cat food you are giving her.

Both of our cats "pad", but they have done that now since we first got them, and they are both now 6 years old. It's normal. I call it "kneeding" when they do that.

listen to nuetron (and me) and have the knot checked soon. also dont forget to have her check for feline luekamia. she doesnt sound as if she has and problem there but DO CHECK THE KNOT.

Female cats are usually the more aggressive, and the male cats more cuddly. So while you've had male cats before, this one will act a bit differently.

As for the "making bread/kneading," most cats will do that at times. Mine (a brother and sister) prefer those fake sheepskin "nests." They'll knead it a bit, then curl up and sleep in it.

Mine as kittens also loved a toy called a "cat dancer." It's pretty cheap, just a wire with some paper bits on the ends, but you don't have to do anything to get it to move, unlike a string. If you're just watching TV or reading, it's easier for you to "play" with her and still
keep her active.

As for getting her to sleep at night, she never will completely, as cats can sleep up to 18 hours a day. She's maybe just lonely (I always have two at a time so they keep themselves occupied). I had one though, that cried early in the morning, even with food out, and I just put it by itself in a separate room when it started crying. It got the message fairly soon. You've had cats, so you know the value of saying, "No," too.

I've also read that putting a ticking clock covered with some soft cloth can make cats or dogs think "mommy" is there. Mine never seemed to like it, but they didn't really need it. I was just seeing what they would do. Maybe that would calm her.

Of course, I'd be concerned about the knot and have it checked out ASAP. If she's already sick, you don't want to get more attached than you are already. I nursed a little guy with feline leukemia until he was almost a year old. I got him at 6 weeks old and found out about his illness when he was 7 months old. He was such a cutie, but he never had a chance.

Yep.. Also, in disciplining the cat, use a water bottle. Cats hate water and will get the message. The padding is normal. I have two cats, ones 6yrs old and our new one Tiger is about 6 months old. Tiger sleeps just above my head at night and has been known to walk on my chest and plop down and sleep there too. I don't mind it because the little fella loves me. For some reason he wakes me up like clock work with a tongue bath every morning. I usually throw him off the bed about that time (nicely). Usually he will get the message and hop back up and perr in my ear until i get up. Cats do sleep allot. Although I think my Kitty too is a Nocturnal kitty. I just think of it as he watches over me at night to make sure I'm safe. During the day he likes to sleep next to me and when ever I go to the bathroom he follows me too. My other cat (Missy) sleeps in my daughters room on her bed.

one of these days shell go to sleeping at night and willf inally shut up with the meowing and youll wonder where it all went. mine was doing that bad (a female) with the meowing and i finally started giving her milk. its weird but it shut the meowing up.

Thank you all for the suggestions. :) I'll run by the pet store tomorrow and get something for the "kneading". She started whining a few minutes ago (the continuous meow and I just sprayed a little bit of water on her -- she leaned back and looked at me like, "what", and started back -- she is rarely doing it now. Of course, I'm also playing with her through the day. I figure the more active I keep her today the better she'll do at night. My mom has convinced me that when she is a bit older I may just miss it all. My mom said the same thing GoalieBob said, "they'll sleep 18 hours a day". She compared it to a baby right now -- just not in the pattern yet. She predicted that two - three months from now, I'd be able to play with her for 20 minutes during the afternoon and she'd be out by 11:00 at night. I'm hoping so. :) You guys are invaluable in so many ways. Keep the suggestions coming.

The knot could very well be a hernia so I'm with the others to have it checked asap.

Kneeding is normal behaviour and is a sign of happy contentment and is also a process for softening up their resting spot. Our two cats are both female and they have done it since each were kittens though one does it on my daughters fleece bed covers.

Keeping her active during the day will get you sleep at night and will encourage her to follow a similiar sleep cycle. To help her with seperation anxiety you can get an inexpensive stuffed animal that you should put under your shirt for a few hours in bed next to you for a night to get your smell then sit it next to her and let her get comfortable with it.

My male cat was very vocal and would meow very loud sometimes.
Nothing was wrong with him except he wanted me out of bed to pet him.

Baby cats are restless just like some human children. It will pass. My cats are now 13 and 16 years old. They are in good physical condition and active but they sleep like rocks when the lay down.. They still knead or "pad" quite a bit.

Some cats that have been seperated from their mother too soon are insecure and anxious causing them to pad in a hyper manner.
Just cuddle and hold them. It will pass.

my cat use to do the same thing.. she would meow all night.. play.. run.. etc.. I learned to irritate her all day (when ever I saw her sleeping I would go over and wake her butt up) .. eventually she moved her sleep pattern to the night.. which made us both happier.. she's now about 13 years old.. :)

I finally got her to a veterinarian yesterday (as she hadn't improved and I went to a different veterinarian). He kept her for observation (so I don't have her right now) but she was constantly having issues with diarreah and even the vet commented that kittens often talked but "shouldn't talk THIS MUCH". I was waiting in line at the veterinarian's office and, in fact, they moved the little girl in as an emergency. They have already determined (and called me) that she has parasites in her stomach. At this point, though, they don't really seem to be commenting too much on her overall condition. I know they are worried about the knot they have found but, at this point, feel she is too weak to even check until assisting her with the parasites. It's ironic (and I do LOVE TO KEEP A CLEAN HOUSE) but they told me to come home and mop, vacuum, and do everything to have a sparkling house. I didn't know I could be affected by some parasites and they were really wanting the house cleaned in the event that she was able to return home (to avoid any kind of reinfection). I was very shaken and sad and think I have found a wonderful new veterinarian. As I was crying, he indicated that "this bill is on me". He has called twice since yesterday and told me that he would do everything he could to take care of her. :)

Not a smart ass answer. I am impressed that you found a vet so concerned and compassionate- to you as well as the feline. I am most sorry if my answer came across as anything but positive in nature.

I am on the staff of an Egyptian Mau, Solomon, and an Ocicat, Cougar. They do inform me, however, that I shall be required one day to answer to the Kitty Cat Commission for my failings.

Cougar is fine today. Well, neurotic. But she had ear cancer some years back, and they did not think they got it all. The vets were all very nice, and few of them had seen such a gorgeous, spotted cat- but none waived their fees or ever called to inquire. They told us when the cancer recurred, they wanted to send her to Raleigh for more surgery. Clearly, they viewed this as a "training opportunity." But it never came back.

And so my wife and I share your concern, having been thru similar more than once.

I finally got her to a veterinarian yesterday (as she hadn't improved and I went to a different veterinarian). He kept her for observation (so I don't have her right now) but she was constantly having issues with diarreah and even the vet commented that kittens often talked but "shouldn't talk THIS MUCH". I was waiting in line at the veterinarian's office and, in fact, they moved the little girl in as an emergency. They have already determined (and called me) that she has parasites in her stomach. At this point, though, they don't really seem to be commenting too much on her overall condition. I know they are worried about the knot they have found but, at this point, feel she is too weak to even check until assisting her with the parasites. It's ironic (and I do LOVE TO KEEP A CLEAN HOUSE) but they told me to come home and mop, vacuum, and do everything to have a sparkling house. I didn't know I could be affected by some parasites and they were really wanting the house cleaned in the event that she was able to return home (to avoid any kind of reinfection). I was very shaken and sad and think I have found a wonderful new veterinarian. As I was crying, he indicated that "this bill is on me". He has called twice since yesterday and told me that he would do everything he could to take care of her. :)

it's great that you have a vet that cares so much. i dont really want to say i told you so but i did tell you that the meowing all nirght long probaly meant something. and this is not to be taken offensavely but i just hope she got attention in time as the parasites can soemtimes spell trouble after even just a little while. no offense (again) but it sounds like there may be more than just parasites wrong here. bless the little girl. i know you are sad... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)