Question for Hughes Expert.

SatAdam

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 2, 2006
I am on 83W, I used to get a 75 signal and it took one heck of a rain storm to take me out. Now I am sitting with a 60 signal and when it sprinkles I loose internet.

Is a repeak covered by my warranty? Or should I request a repoint to SatMex5?

As an installer of Direcway systems for several years, I would call Direcway and tell them that you are having trouble with signal degregration and they will send out a service ticket under warranty. A tech will come out "hopefully the guy that installed it originally" and re-peak signal and check cross/pol levels. As for a re-pointing to SatMex, I would recommend staying where you are. SatMex is very low on the horizon and also was one of the very first birds used for they're service for both residential and commercial. Good luck.

The guy who originally installed it is 3 hours away :) We didn't have a local dealer when I got mine.

I hope the guys from the local dealer come to get it, they did a good job on my neighbor's system, he's pointed to SatMex5 and gets way faster downloads than I do. (Which upsets me, considering I have a pro account and he doesn't)

I currently have a 60 signal, the sky is crystal clear, and no foilage about the LOS.
If I knew how to do a crospol I'd do it, all I remember how to do is reregister.

Ok, just got off the phone with Dway... they won't come out to repeak the dish unless I pay them $125. He says my signal is above the minimum, yet it won't transmit under a 60. So pretty much they are useless. I asked him when my contract is up (I have a few more months to go) and I'm calling Wildblue.

If you call and just ask for a repoint they will not send someone out. Something has to be wrong with the system. Let me know how many failed transmissions you have and I can help you futher. What did you mean when you said it will not transmit under 60?

I repeaked it the best I could by myself (a lot of running in and out) and got up to a 65. When the thing drops below 60 it quits transmitting. It will Tx Error me saying it is out of sync. This usually happens in the morning when there is dew on the dish or it rains. I used to not have this problem. As the dish is pointing very steep, it does collect dew.

The guy says "a 51 is minimum signal" I tell him it quits transmitting below 60, he agrees, then later on as he is arguing with me talling me that it is a 2-way system I told him, "But at your minimum signal, it WON'T Transmit! What good is it?

I pass the Crospol with a 71, and have a signal of 65 when I repeaked it.

I have "2" failed currently, but I did reregister the modem. I remember a much higher number there.

Last edited:
Oh yea, the guy at Dway says that a repeak/repoint isn't under warranty as they don't warranty the installation.

SatAdam said:
Oh yea, the guy at Dway says that a repeak/repoint isn't under warranty as they don't warranty the installation.

You are getting some wrong info somewere. The installation is covered for atleast 15 months. Who did you call the company that installed it?

I called Direcway. The technician says "We don't cover installation, if it slips a little, that's what they do. We're not going to send someone out because of a little signal quality"

So, should I call someone else at Dway? Do you know anyone by name up there?

If your crosspol is 71 and you only have 2 failed transmissions you should be ok. Go somewere and do a upload test maybe www.pcpitstop.com or www.toast.net

Watch the transmissions as you do the test and see if they rise.

Also what type of modem do you have?

The tech you spoke with ment was if the system is currently working and they can see that its working on their end they will not send anyone out. If they see your system is not working then they will send a work order down. Let me know the above info and it looks like you have failed transmissions while uploading I can help you get someone out there.

Were are you located?

SatAdam said:
Isn't the installation the most important part? What good is the warranty if it doesn't cover the most important part!?

sistersinhim said:
Isn't the installation the most important part? What good is the warranty if it doesn't cover the most important part!?

It does. Parts and installation is covered for 15 months. He just misunderstood. He wants to be pointed to a differant satellite or get his signal higher. If the system shows working on Hughes end they will not send someone out. That is why I am trying to help him.

FYI, My satellite is 83W and my transponder is 1150.

I did a re-point on my system within the last week. When I was first Professionally installed on 12-10-05, my xpol number was in the middle to upper 60's and my signal strength was mid to upper 70's (occasional 80's).

I kept noticing that my system would go out with the least little bit of clouds--mostly the transmit light would go out on my 7000, and one day when it was finally clear (not a cloud in sight) I sat down and started looking at stuff. My signal strength was in the 70's, but my XPOL number was in the lower 60's and would drop into the 50's (enough where it would fail) every couple of seconds. So I got my level out and went out and checked to make sure my pole (I had a pole mount done, didn't want on my roof) was plumb, it wasn't of course (in one direction the bubble wasn't even within the lines, it was off to the side) and so I pushed it straight. Then, my elevation according to the dish pointing screen is supposed to be 47.4, but it was 49, my tilt or "polarization" was supposed to be -10.4, however it was -12. And by simply adjusting those two things to the correct position, my signal strength became a solid 75, while my XPOL became 70-82, with a very rare drop into the 60's, however, no dropping into the 50's or failing anymore, I watched the manual XPOL test for about five minutes, over several different times and that is why I know about XPOL is at. Remember this is with no clouds at ALL in the sky, although, when it was failing, less than an hour before it was crystal clear then too.

Anyways, I know that my pole will likely move again, and will be out of plumb again, and of course, mess everything up again. I also know that it is OK to adjust the tilt, and your azimuth setting, so I could actually fine tune my dish to get even better signal and XPOL numbers--maybe. But I think it is pretty sorry to have to even mess with this only a few months after Direcway installed. I am tempted to remove everything and reinstall myself. Wouldn't take much, and I know I can do a better job concreting a pole into the ground than the installer did, for one I would set everything into place and leave it--won't install dish--for a couple of days so it has time to cure. Anyways, I will hopefully be getting DSL service in my area soon (SBC/ATT have DSL less than a mile from my address, I inquired about DSL for my house and they said they are working on it, and that I should check back often for updates, so I am crossing my fingers) but if not, I will be doing a re-installation of my Direcway/Hughes Net dish.

I have a friend who asked if they installed a pole (they have a mobile home) and all cables, would they still have to pay the $125 for a pole mount, The answer they got was bull, more or less yes, they'd get charged--and the installer may not even use the pole they put in, because "it could be wrong". And they were told that the poll has to be put 4 feet into the ground, and since I watched my installer both dig and measure the depth of his hole, I know for a fact that my pole isn't more than 18 inches below the surface (that's right, didn't even hit two feet, let alone four)! Which, if it was supposed to be four, then I feel like I was cheated, and if it don't matter, I feel like they (Direcway) like to spout BS.

Either way, I am not at all happy with my $125 install, for that much money (I could have bought all required hardware for less than $20, and yes I've checked!!! Not to mention my installer just used a chain-link corner post, which I can buy for $8 or so at lowes, and half of a 80 pound bag of concrete that I can buy for $3 or $4 at lowes) I shouldn't be having ANY problems with signal or XPOL numbers only five or six months down the line, that is BS.

Last edited:
tonyp56,

Sorry to hear about your installation problems. Sadly this is one reason alot of people dislike Hughesnet, because some installers do a piss poor job. The integrity of a Hughes install must be the best possible or the system will not work right.

If you really want to do something about the install call Hughes and tell them you are not happy about the way it looks. The pole is suppose to be a 9 foot pole and should be 6 feet tall, this making 3 feet in the ground. Also a chain link fence poll is a big no no. It must sch 40 thats a 2" steel poll that is 2" 3/8 ODU. Tell them all of this and they will send someone out to do and audit.

1-866-Direcway.

The Tate,

Thanks for your comments, and I have to say I am tempted, but really it isn't worth it to me. Back when I first got installed I spent over three hours on the phone with Direcway about a connection problem, and in the end I was the one that figured out what the problem was. Three hours trying to understand, and convience someone that my system needs to be looked at isn't something that I want to do.

It is fine right now, and if, and I say again IF DSL becomes available, I'll kick Direcway to the curb, and never look back again (after my contract expires, which I don't see DSL comming, if it does, before then anyways, which is about 9 months). And if it don't, I can get the stuff that I need to do the install for cheap, and yes it would be SCH 40 pipe, not thin wall crap. But the biggest problem with this install is the poll moved--at least I saw him checking it for plumb, but didn't look real close to see if he even had it level--if it wasn't for that, it wouldn't be a problem. We've had a lot of high winds in Oklahoma lately, and you add to that it wasn't done right, at least IMO, and now the poll has moved out. Me moving it back will only last so long, until the wind picks up again, or until it settles more. However, so far, little more than a week, it has remained in the middle 70's to the low 80's on the XPOL (and signal strength remains 75 or above).

Anyways, I do thank you for your words, but the main reason I posted my story was to let others that have been having problems, know that they are not the only ones, and perhaps, what I found with my install may help them know what to look for, and perhaps, know how to fix their own issues. And if they can't fix their problems, then maybe they could get Direcway to help them.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)