Question for installers

hazmat626

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 24, 2006
Lake Jackson, Texas
Would it be acceptable to offer an installer any kind of help? I've printed a lot of install tips from this forum concerning the H/J set up. By no means am I implying that I know more than you guys do. But after reading some of the problems many folks have had with their installs, I would like to make this as painless for the tech and myself. How would you the techs approach this? My install 2H/2J is scheduled for this morning.

otisanybody said:
Would it be acceptable to offer an installer any kind of help? I've printed a lot of install tips from this forum concerning the H/J set up. By no means am I implying that I know more than you guys do. But after reading some of the problems many folks have had with their installs, I would like to make this as painless for the tech and myself. How would you the techs approach this? My install 2H/2J is scheduled for this morning.

Ask.
If he is familiar already he won't need it.

Sent from my fingers.

I asked the installer who came to put my HIC in how much training they received in the new system. He said a total of 5 hours over 5 weeks. That does not seem like a lot of training for such a new system, and at least in his case he was very unfamiliar with the system. He hooked the Tap up backwards which I had to correct, and he did not even know what the HIC was for. The first installer who came to put the system in a few days earlier knew more about the system and had a buddy on his Nextel who was also doing an install and they kept updating each other with what to do. Only glitch was they did not know how to assign a Joey to a Hopper in a 2 Hopper system. This forum answered that for them.

So I would say right now its very hit or miss with the installers, all depends on how many they have done and how much they understood the classes they took.

(following is the point of view from a customer)

If he's already done a few 2H systems, then you'll probably be alright.

Just keep the printout as backups or even offer him a copy if he doesn't have it. A good tech won't be afraid to learn (especially since a lot of the tricks on this site haven't been sent out by Dish).

I learned a lot just asking questions during the install about the wiring, penetrations, etc. That resulted in a better install overall. I offered advice on the pairing since my tech had done a number of 1 hopper installs, but zero 2 hopper installs. Also, i let them know about the seamless integration software that is coming later on that will let all the TVs essentially be on one giant network. I also mentioned that it might be easier to do the HIC for 2H installs rather than sorting out ethernet or wifi for both hoppers since the integration software isn't out yet. My tech was mostly installing 1H/2J so it's not a surprise he didn't do to many 2H installs. Plus there still seems to be some availability issues in certain areas on duo nodes.

There's also little stuff i did like letting them know when the Hoppers were moving to the next menu while they were still finishing up wiring for other stuff. I never actually touched the remote until they left, but letting them know when say the hopper is showing live tv will let them know to move onto the joeys one at a time.

I also moved stuff out of the way for any wiring they had to do inside the house. Made sure there was an ethernet cable ready for the hic. Basically a lot of little stuff that kept things moving along so they can concentrate on the more difficult issues like the wall penetrations.

It doesn't hurt to get chatty with the tech as long as it doesn't disrupt what he's doing.

Last edited:
Wanted to share my install experience. Installation went perfect. New lnb, rewired two rooms. Installed duo mode, hic. This was the techs 3rd 2H/ 2J install. He completed the job in just under 3 hrs. Now it's time to play with bad boy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts