Question for the techs

ekubahn

Original poster
Apr 16, 2022
Oklahoma
Hey techs! I've got a question. I'm going to be taking a hop3 and joey out a house. I was wondering how easy it would be to use the same coax runs for an attic antenna. (tree growth has become an issue). Here is what I'm working with.

PXL_20230629_173957181.jpg

Further adding to dishdude’s reply, the coax marked “To ODU” is the one going to the satellite dish, “To Host” is the one going to the Hopper and “To Client” to the Joey. So, if the intention is an attic antenna to only one of the original dish locations then you just need to disconnect the intended coax cable and hook it up to the antenna, but if the stations you want to receive are in the direction of where the satellite dish mast currently is, it should be as easy as popping the dish off and aiming the antenna accordingly for better reception. Then a either a barrel plug or two way splitter in place of that Dish Hub depending on if you need the OTA signal in one or both locations.

Further adding to dishdude’s reply, the coax marked “To ODU” is the one going to the satellite dish, “To Host” is the one going to the Hopper and “To Client” to the Joey. So, if the intention is an attic antenna to only one of the original dish locations then you just need to disconnect the intended coax cable and hook it up to the antenna, but if the stations you want to receive are in the direction of where the satellite dish mast currently is, it should be as easy as popping the dish off and aiming the antenna accordingly for better reception. Then a either a barrel plug or two way splitter in place of that Dish Hub depending on if you need the OTA signal in one or both locations.
Question: If you ran the OTA to the ODU input, could that in theory run the signal to where the Hopper was at least (host)?

My brain isn't braining right now...

Question: If you ran the OTA to the ODU input, could that in theory run the signal to where the Hopper was at least (host)?
Not a bad question, but the answer is no. The ODU port filters out anything below 950MHz to prevent MoCA signal leaking out, which not a problem in a single home, but necessary in a commercial environment where you might have multiple Hopper’s. Most OTA channels are in the 170-700MHz range, meaning they can’t get through. The other three ports however would allow for OTA to passthrough, so in the OP’s picture the second client port could be used. Using a good quality two way splitter would be more adequate to prevent as much loss as posible, but it would work in a pinch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)