Question for the DISH experts

truecrimson

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2008
North Alabama
I recently upgraded to a 722 receiver and HD programming. With the new receiver and programming I had to have an additional dish installed on my house. The new dish points directly at my roof. It is mounted on the back of my roof and points directly at it.

I have no problem with the HD signal, so I am guessing there is nothing wrong with this. I am just curious is this normal and have you guys ever seen an installation like that before?

Can you take a photo of that? If it looks like it is aimed at the peak, it probably is looking over it.

Yes I will get a photo this afternoon when I get home.

I have a very steep roof (12/12) and it is no where near the peak. It is on the lower section of my roof. I haven't climbed up there to see if it might be pointing over the peak, but from looking at it on the ground it appears like there is no way it could be. Check back tomorrow though and I will have you some pictures.

Thanks RandallA and mdonnelly.

That makes sense. I just assumed the LNB would be pointing close to the satellites location. I love this forum because you guys are educating me well.

I will still post the photos for reference.

I assume the dish is pointing at 61.5 for HD in northern Alabama, so the satellite is at an elevation angle of 42 degrees. You said the roof has a 12/12 pitch so that makes the roof angle 45 degrees or only 3 degrees higher than the angle to the satellite. With only a 3 degree difference the dish doesn't have to be very high above the roof to receive the signal. Looks like plenty of room by the picture, you should be fine.

He is fine. He said so in his first post. He was just confused as to why it worked when it looked like it was facing into the roof.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)