Question Guy's, Upgrading the Big White's?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

norman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 22, 2005
Ok folks,
I know that I am nuts, No comments Iceberg, but ponder this please.

What if you were to aquire a LARGE Older Big White. Then take metal mesh that is used for C/Ku and some how stick it to the facing of the big white.

Wonder if it would work for C & Ku?

As for the mesh what if you were able to re-surface it with metal berring paint or thin sheets of aluminum?

May be a dumb question. But a question un-asked is dumb.

Inquiring minds want to know!
Norman

Forgive me, but what's a "Big White"? is that a brand of dish? What material is it?

You are taliking about a fiberglass dish? Most will get both C and Ku band, Ku might be a problem with some though... I have a 10' fiberglass that I used for Ku, have not tried to pick any up in years as the Lnb died that I had on it.

I'd expect any solid dish to do both C and Ku. The only dish I know of that can't do Ku is mesh with the large holes.

Yes, I am tallking about the Big White Fiberglass Dish. I was ponder ing the thought of somthing I had heard here sometime back. That the wire mesh inside the dish would , alot of the time, be rusting away inside the layers of fiberglass. And have no value in the world of C or Ku band receiving.
My question still stands,
"What if you were to aquire a LARGE Older Big White. Then take metal mesh that is used for C/Ku and some how stick it to the facing of the big white.

As for the mesh what if you were able to re-surface it with metal berring paint or thin sheets of aluminum?"

Norman

norman said:
Yes, I am tallking about the Big White Fiberglass Dish. I was ponder ing the thought of somthing I had heard here sometime back. That the wire mesh inside the dish would , alot of the time, be rusting away inside the layers of fiberglass. And have no value in the world of C or Ku band receiving.
My question still stands,
"What if you were to aquire a LARGE Older Big White. Then take metal mesh that is used for C/Ku and some how stick it to the facing of the big white.

As for the mesh what if you were able to re-surface it with metal berring paint or thin sheets of aluminum?"

Norman

At times they fail in getting good readings on Ku-band, though upgrade the feed and find out.

Well ok. But the question still stands,
Has anybody done it before????

Norman

Many of the older fiberglass dishes had internal mesh that was a little to large in preforation to properly handle the KU beamwidth. For C band reception most would still be adequate.

It really depends on the dish however. The only way to really know how well it will work would be to be familiar with the manufacturer and have knowledge of the manufacturing proccess, and the type of internal meshing used. Or simply try it and see.

Resurfacing a dish is probably not the best of options, since keeping surface accuracy would be almost impossible. In the end it would be much more practical to simply purchase or find a free large mesh dish in good condition.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)