Question: Install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FinnSatTV

Original poster
Aug 5, 2004
I am about to order my DTV and was wondering what is the best way. Online @ DTV site or through a local retailer. Which would you all suggest? Also, how about the installers. I am worried about the sky access around my house. I have trees that are tall and mostly in my neighbors yards. I read one post about calling an installer first to get a satellite reading, how do I go about finding local installers? Phone book?

Your thoughts and help is appreciated!

You can order through DirecTV either online or over the phone. You will be charged whatever it is they charge now-a-days (I think it's 14.95). They will also schedule one of their certified installers to come out and do the installation for free, if they are still offering it. When the installer comes, they will probably first check to see if you can get a signal and then verify that they can install the system to code. If they can't, they will instruct you to call the DirecTV Installation CS number and let them know that you could not get the system installed and you will be refunded your $14.95.

I would really do as much as you can to research some installers before hand.

After replacing my dish yesterday with a new 3LNB myself, I was blessed with seeing the awful anchor job the installer did with my old dish to the brick. About 5 holes were drilled, 1 of which was used. A small expanding concrete anchor screw was used in the hole. I have no idea how that dish has been up their for so long and is still standing.

After spackling up the old holes the moron made and putting in 4 solid expanding masonry anchors and getting the thing to the point where you can hang off of it, i noticed they totally disregarded any type of grounding whatsoever. The cable is run from from the dish to the a switch with no grounding blocks in between.

If i knew who installed this thing i would find him and knock his head in. Some installers talk about forming a union when work like this is done? Are you kidding me? My dog can do a better job.

The best part was the four perfectly anchored threaded sleeves where the Primestar dish used to hang. Installed perfectly and a grounding block right before where the cable enters the house was just left there.

If you are able to, I would plan on taking out a lawn chair and watching every move the installer makes. Ensure he grounds it, and certainly ensure he does not make swiss cheese out of your house. Promptly ask all cowboys to leave and have a competent person finish it up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

directv first impressions, and troubles

Free PPV's?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts