Question on digital

Ellye

Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
Hello everyone!

Let me first say, all the knowledge in here is just amazing. I'm thankful there are all these helpful and intelligent people here.

Ok for my first ever post/question.

I currently have a DVR 522 and I am quite happy with it. My old TV was a Sony 35" nothing fancy.

I just purchased a Samsung 50" DLP (5063W/HL) and I'm in love.

I have a Denon 2803 AV Receiver that I plug all my components into. Of these are my DVR 522 (S-Video) (I have my TV 50" in my living room and a 27" in my bedroom), Sony DVD Player (Composite), and my XBox (S-Video). I have read multiple articles that the, i believe, DVR-942 will be released soon and will allow me to run HD on my 50" and coax up to my second TV. The cost on this is still unconfirmed I think.

Is it worth it to wait for the 942 to be released, and then purchase a DVD that will support something other than composite outputs, or should I look into a video upscaler?

I am very new at the whole Digital AV thing, but I am egar to learn.

Any suggestions would be most helpful!

Thanks in advance everyone!

Ellye,

I would suggest you sell your denon and get a yamaha rxv-750. It is not very expensive has great sound and power but more importantly it will upconvert any thing you have connect to it to component video. so you can connect your xbox, vcr, 522, etc and the yamaha will output the picture for the chosen source thru the component output to your sammy. That way you will not have to change inputs on your tv and will only have one set of cables running to your tv. Then when you replace the 522 or add a 921 (or 942) you will only need to hook up the component output from the 921 or 942 to your yamaha and your ready to go. (Note: the yamaha does not improve the picture quality of any other devices thru the component output, just converts them so you can see them on the component input on your tv)

As for the dvd, please run (don't walk) out and buy a progressive scan dvd player. They make a world of difference on hdtvs and look almost as good as hd. I really like panasonic players as they have discrete codes, tend to last a while, and have a beautiful picture. Sony dvd are good, so are denon, yamaha, pioneer....etc. I would stay away from samsung dvd players, some of them have been dead right out of the box and they seem really cheap to us.

Be aware that most tvs have a differnt color, brightness, sharpness setting for each input, so that is yet another reason to get a reciever that upconverts (such as the yamaha rxv-750 or rxv-1500(or 2500)) because you will only have to set up one input and not worry about the rest of the unused inputs on your sammy.

Am i making any sense? i hope i am at least somewhat coherent.

Jon

Ellye,

With all due respect to the previous poster, there is absolutely no need to replace your current A/V receiver. The Denon is an excellent receiver and you would gain absolutely nothing with the Yamaha besides component conversion, hardly worth the hassle or price. I also own a Sansumg 50'" DLP and in my opinion the best connection to use from a 921 or 942 is DVI. Yes this means using the input on your TV rather than one on the A/V receiver but in my opinion the result is worth it. To simplify switching between inputs and components get a good universal remote with macro capability. I recommend the Home Theater Master line.

As far as a DVD player goes I have a Pioneer 563-A. I have spent much time switching between interlaced and progressive output to see if one mode gave a noticeably better picture. My results? Almost no visible difference. Why would that be? Because the Samsung DLPs use a Faroujda chip-set, considered by most to be the best scaler going, you would have to spend major $ on a DVD player to get better conversion.

These are just my opinions and experiences. Hope they are of help.

NightRyder

Im not trying to sell anything, she asked about "or should I look into a video upscaler?

I am very new at the whole Digital AV thing, but I am egar to learn."

Just trying to make it easier for her. A home theater master mx850 is a great remote and if you know how to program will make things very easy as well....

wow.. thank you all!!!

My DVD player is a Sony DVP-NS775V which is progressive 480p output.

Here is what I am currently thinking of what to do until the 942 is released.

I'm going to return my DVD player and replace it with a Samsung DVD-HD841 which has built in upconversion allowing me to view @ 1080i.

Purchase a Kramer VP-412 to plug my sat in via S-video and convert it to vga. I would then plug that feed into my VGA adapter in the back of my TV.

The back of my TV has the following inputs, DVI, HDMI, PC.

Anyone who has the Samsung DLP tv can you verify that this setup would work.

The only problem that I see, once I purchase the 942, I will have 2 DVI cables and only 1 DVI input. Does the 942 support DHMI?

I am assuming that the DVI, VGA, and HDMI are all on the same "source" on the TV.

Once again,

TY all for the input/suggestions.

j5races said:
Im not trying to sell anything, she asked about "or should I look into a video upscaler?

I am very new at the whole Digital AV thing, but I am egar to learn."

Just trying to make it easier for her. A home theater master mx850 is a great remote and if you know how to program will make things very easy as well....

No offense intended I just found your suggestion to replace her A/V receiver to solve a simple switching problem somewhat extreme. :)

The HTM MX850 is an excellent remote and I highly recommend it.

NightRyder

I'm going to look into that remote, it sounds pretty nice.

I'm still kind of torn, I was reading now that if I use this switch from Kramer, that my output display would be in 640x480.

Would that be better than what I currently viewing via my S-Video connection.

When watching my SAT, I can see pixalization often, especially when the background is dark.

I would like a better solution, but I really dont want to spen a fortune on this project.

Thanks!!
E

No video conversion (s-vid to vga, or s-vid to component) is going to remove the overcompression dish sends us. I would be willing to bet that s-vid upconverted by your sammy to its native resolution will look the best. I wouldnt waste any time trying to improve SD (thru s-vid) picture. As fas as dvd i would suggest you dont get teh sammy dvd i think you will regret it. One reason is if you get that mx850 remote the sammy dvd uses the ffwd and skip+ chapter on the same button so you will have a hell of a time trying to get ffwd to work on your mx850.....plus it doesnt have any better picture than a 480p sony will.....trust me

Jon

Ellye said:
I'm going to look into that remote, it sounds pretty nice.

I'm still kind of torn, I was reading now that if I use this switch from Kramer, that my output display would be in 640x480.

Would that be better than what I currently viewing via my S-Video connection.

When watching my SAT, I can see pixalization often, especially when the background is dark.

I would like a better solution, but I really dont want to spen a fortune on this project.

Thanks!!
E

A good place to research DVD players is here.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?forumid=18

The new Samsung DVD players definitely have issues. There are better choices. IMHO.

A few things about the Samsung DLPs. The bulbs take about 100 hrs. to settle in and achieve their correct brightness and color. After 100 hrs. use a good calibration DVD (Avia or Digital Video Essentials) to calibrate the set. For anything approaching descent PQ get it off the factory settings! Dynamic is the worst. There are service menu tweaks that can improve the PQ greatly but unless you are comfortable with that sort of thing, don't attempt them!

Here is another link with lots of info.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?forumid=63

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)