Question on Drilling to Fish Wire

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

cjwct

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Glastonbury, CT
I am looking to install a second satellite receiver on my first floor. I learned installers do not do that, so I opened the wall by the beam and drilled down into the floor stud. After drilling for a few inches, it seems as if I cannot drill anymore or that I am not getting anywhere. Anybody have any experience and know why this might be? It is an interior wall of a condo with probably a fire block between the floors.

Not sure what you mean, but it sounds like you may have hit a nail, and it's preventing the drill bit from going any further. You might try to move the bit over a tad, and maybe it will go through this time? Good Luck!

Installers can and do install second receivers so it sounds like you got a lazy guy.

If your drilling down and the bit stops then you may have hit a nail as suggested or you may have hit the top of a foundation wall if your drilling real close to the wall. It's also possible depending on the age of the house that the floor stud your drilling through is some of that real good old oak hardwood that you cant find anymore. I've run into these kind of floor beams in the past and usually they were 10 - 12 inches thick and hard as iron and burned up one or two bits.

If your close to the wall on a newer home then your probably hitting the foundation so pull the bit back up and take a good look at it, if the head is dulled and scratched then that's what has happened and you'll need to get a new bit and drill further away from the wall. To fix the old hole just get a dowel rod from a real hardware store that's the same size as the drill bit and cut an inch length off and dab a little wood glue on it and push it in the hole till its flush and let dry then later sand lightly and stain if need be.

If the drill bit when pulled back has dull looking chunks out of it then your hitting a nail, see steps above.

If its old wood as suggested then soldier on or relocate as mentioned above.

It is also possible that you could be hitting a conduit or water/gas/sewer line or duct work so get down there and start looking.

Seen it happen more than once and have actually done it twice even after careful measuring. Houses with basements that are less than the same size as the main floor plan can lend to this problem as well as shoddy remodels which are what did me in both times.

Seen it happen more than once and have actually done it twice even after careful measuring. Houses with basements that are less than the same size as the main floor plan can lend to this problem as well as shoddy remodels which are what did me in both times.
Too late now, that was 5 days ago :eek:

I hope he did get down there and check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)