Question on hooking up a 3rd tuner

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Tom Bombadil

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 5, 2005
Chicago-Milwaukee Region
Here's my present setup:

Dish 500 with Legacy Twin picking up 110 & 119
Dish 300 with Legacy Dual picking up 61.5

SW21 switches combining one output from D500 with one output from D300.

Two RG-6 feeds coming into the house, going into a 942.

Now I would like to reconnect my old 4900 to drive a 2nd TV. I want to retain the ability to record off of Tuner 2 on the 942 to my primary HDTV.

The way I read things is that I would need to do something like:

Replace all LNBs with Dish Pro units.

Connect both runs from the D500 DP to a DP34 to provide 110 & 119

Connect a run from the D300 DP to the DP34

Then connect two outputs from the DP34 to the 942

Connect one output from the DP34 to the 4900.

Correct?

If so, then I guess I would need a DP Adapter for the 4900.

yes, that is right. or you can just put in DPP twin with dp dual and then you won't need DP adapter

Isn't there a legacy switch that takes 3 sat's (using 6 inputs) and gives 4 outputs? That should work too.

I like the idea of going to the DPP twin LNB as it lets you use a seperator on the 942 and run the third sat in with no external switch.

it would be cheaper to go with DPP twin. to with SW 64 and 3 legacy duals, or 3 DP duals and DP 34 + DP adapter for 4900, or DPP twin and DP dual or single

another option

If you are only getting 61.5 for voom and not international, I would call Dish and see if they would do a Dish 1000 upgrade for free or minimal charge and they would hook up the DPP twin and DP dual as part of the upgrade for you. Just another option, but maybe one worth checking out.

volkodav said:
yes, that is right. or you can just put in DPP twin with dp dual and then you won't need DP adapter

I looked at this option, but my problem is that my D300 pointing at 61.5 is located over 50' from my D500 and I'd have to trench it over to there.

Haven't ruled that out yet. It is the "most elegant" solution with fewest parts.

I used to have them side by side, pole-mounted in my yard. But just this year, my neighbor's tree had a growth spurt and blocked my view. I knew it was going to happen sooner or later, but thought I'd have another year or two.

The D500 is shooting over some extremely slow growing cypress trees.

Last edited:
webbydude said:
What's the price of a Legacy Quad? Couldn't you just swap the Twin out for the Quad and SW21 two of the outputs?

Thought of that too. I'd have to trench the D300 over to the D500, and then retrench from the D500 to the house, to add the three RG-6 run. And I might have a problem with total distance as I'm already well over spec for my cable out to the D500 (I'm at 160' with legacy LNBs and switches). The D300 would be located 50' from the SW21 that is in turn 160' from my 942.

If my D300 could have stayed where it was, this would have been an easy option.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Sean7065 said:
If you are only getting 61.5 for voom and not international, I would call Dish and see if they would do a Dish 1000 upgrade for free or minimal charge and they would hook up the DPP twin and DP dual as part of the upgrade for you. Just another option, but maybe one worth checking out.

I have a 622 install set up within the next two weeks. So that's why I'm looking over my options. They might give me a D1000 install, but I really don't want one. The signal strength here is much stronger from 61.5 than from 129.

Ideally, if they could just ship me some new LNBs, switches, and the 622, I'd be very happy. Or if the installer looked it all over, decided what he could give me as part of the install, and then just left it all on my table. I've put up three dishes and upgraded 5 receivers over the years and no installer has ever touched any of it. I don't need any help doing this, and I actually like puttering around on it.

I'm thinking of cancelling the 622 install to give me some time to gather up gear from eBay and get everything into shape, connect up the 4900, retweek the dishes and get it all working the way I want it. Maybe I'll try calling Dish to see if I can find out what they have on the workorder for me.

if you want to do it your self just let the tech know I'm sure he will be more then happy to give you what you need to get that job done, but he is probably going to have you sine off on it and activate receiver before living the site

Yes, I anticipated that.

I called Dish and they have me scheduled for a D1000 along with the 622. I surveyed my D500 site and I don't think I can hit 129 from it, it is too low to clear the line of arbovita trees that border my yard.

So I'll invite him to go ahead and replace the legacy LNBs and SW21 switches on my present dishes, although that is something I could do in 5 minutes and he can keep the D1000 dish, or leave it with me. Whatever.

If my site could see the D1000, then I'd let him put it in, even though I would likely take it out after he left. Then I'd have lots of parts!

But if all he does is upgrade my existing D500 & D300, it gives me a DPP Twin and a Dual, which is all I need. Then I'll relocate the D300 later, I already have a couple of places I can move it to.

I'll be putting in and connecting up the 622 too. He can use the remote to activate it if he wants. I have over $25,000 in A/V equipment and there are over 80 cables behind my rack. Much simpler for me to connect it up than for him to try to figure out what is going on behind there. The 622 will be the cheapest piece of equipment in my rack.

So it will be a very easy "install" for the installer. If he hands me a parts bag of new LNBs, sits on my couch while I hook up the 622, and then activates it with the phone call to Dish, then I will be a happy customer.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)