Question on new Directv HD DVR Setup

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

BigSkib

Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
New Jersey
I was hoping I could get some advice as I am a newcomer to setting up electronic components.

I just set up a new Directv HD DVR in my basement.

I also bought an Xbox 360 Elite.

I want to buy a tower so I can stream video to my TV. (any suggestions?)

I also bought an ONKYOO RECEIVER TX-SR507B. My plan is to run an HDMI cable from the Xbox into it, along with an HDMI cable from the HD DVR. I have a single 15 foot HDMI cable from the Onkyoo already connected to my new Plasma TV.

All these devices are in a cabinet on the left corner of my room - my DVR, Xbox, and ultimately my new PC (not yet purchased) that I would like to connect to one of the HDMI ports on the Onkyoo Receiver. (DVI to HDMI?)

I only have one outlet in the cabinet that I can use to plug things in without running power cables along my molding or floor to other outlets in the room.

My question is this: I am planning on having a landline internet connection relocated (think this is a wise idea on location) to the inside of the cabinet. I have a Linksys wireless router that I would place in there as well.

What would be the best way to connect my new PC tower to the TV, and also connect the HD DVR for on-demand service, and the Xbox to the internet?

I am also thinking of buying one of those powerline ethernet adapters, because from what I understand I can't plug ethernet bridges into a power strip, but instead directly into an outlet, which I can't spare because I need more power outlets.

These powerline adapters are expensive and I'm not sure if I need to buy one. Can I just connect my router to the modem, and then run ethernet cables from the Xbox, DVR, and PC into the router?

I appreciate any assistance. I know this is probably a basic question.

Not sure about PC to TV connection....Media Share through the HD DVR is an option but maybe someone else has a better idea connecting the two directly.

As far as the HD DVR is concerned, yes you can connect it to the router with Ethernet wire. Media Share is the method used to stream video to your HD DVR. The setup is same as DirecTv VOD. Follow instructions on page 60 and Appendix 2 starting at page 124 in your manual.

The question about the powerline Ethernet adapter need would be if you had any other compatible DirecTv equipment that could be networked for VOD, Media Share or accept streams from your networked HD DVR. Direct wired Ethernet cat 5e or cat6 is the preferred method of networking. Powerline adapters work OK for VOD but not sure about streaming through Media Share. It really depends on your network and your current or future DirecTv setup throughout your home. Since you're still in the planning phase you may want to consider future capabilities...read on.

The MRV (Multi-Room-Viewing from internal server in HD DVR) feature currently is in CE testing (details in Cutting Edge Forum; any questions about MRV should be posted there) but is expected to eventually be available nationally to all DirecTv subs with compatible equipment (your HD DVR has a server installed in it) but it's not known if the Ethernet connector would be the primary method, secondary method or no longer an option in favor of the new SWM switch over existing Coax which is not being tested in CE but has been demonstrated to DirecTv's retailers.

I have media sharing on the Xbox 360, DVR and an LG B390 blu-ray player. The DTV DVR doesn't work anywhere near as well as the xbox or blu-ray player for media share. It's fun to play with but it just seems slow, often locks up and won't render random images. So I tend to use either the blu-ray or xbox for media share.

I also have a library of around 10K high resolution images, so that might be why the DVR chokes.

Is there a reason you can't put in a new power strip and run that to the cabinet?

I use a two router setup myself. I have a D-link DIR-655 Gigabit N router. This serves as the wireless base station, WAN and the switch for the wired PCs. In my entertainment center I have a second router that's in a client bridge mode. So basically this router acts as a wireless client. Whatever I plug into that router can then access the network.

I messed with 802.11G networks for a while and always had problems. This new N based D-link router works great. I can wirelessly stream recorded HD from the DTV receiver to my PC with no issues.

It is no biggie (for an electrician) to cut your wall around the existing electric outlet and replace the
double outlets with four or six outlets.......depends on what else is already on the line.

Anybody know if a GFI circuit breaker has a similar function to a surge suppressor?

Joe

Last edited:
Joe,
To my understanding:
GFI just breaks the circuit when a fault (short is sensed) Surge protector acts more as a Voltage line regulator and trips when the preset voltage level is surpassed. I would not use a Ground Fault Interupter as surge protector for my equipment. Hope this is what you were asking about or helps.

I am having a lot of trouble getting my vhs/DVD, satellinte and television hooked up correctly... can anyone help me........ also i have never been able to record on DVD from my vhs (which is what i was suspose to be able to do)

thanks

Joe,
To my understanding:
GFI just breaks the circuit when a fault (short is sensed) Surge protector acts more as a Voltage line regulator and trips when the preset voltage level is surpassed. I would not use a Ground Fault Interupter as surge protector for my equipment. Hope this is what you were asking about or helps.

Yes and thanks,

I always knew they both interrupted current flow but so does a wall switch. In this application I know there are in-line coax surge suppressors and considered the GFI as something that could be mounted in the outlet box.

Just thinking out loud.

Joe

I am having a lot of trouble getting my vhs/DVD, satellinte and television hooked up correctly... can anyone help me........ also i have never been able to record on DVD from my vhs (which is what i was suspose to be able to do)

thanks
This question is bit off topic of this thread.
I suggest that you start your own thread with this topic.
And when you do, please include as much information about what equipment you have.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)