Question on "Significantly viewed" locals

doublek97

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 20, 2006
I live in an area (central PA) where we cannot receive any stations (with any quality, that is) over-the-air. We have been assigned to the Harrisburg, PA DMA and have those locals available through Dish. Cable customers in our area have both Harrisburg locals and locals from the Johnstown-Altoona DMA.

I know there was a ruling regarding "significantly viewed channels" being allowed to be offered to satellite customers, but don't know the particulars. I know that many of the Johnstown-Altoona stations qualify as "significantly viewed" stations in our county. Is Dish "required" to offer them to us, or simply just "permitted" to offer them?

Welcome! Right now, I belive (but dont hold me to this) dish is not reqired to offer them. does that mean that they wont, no. I know there are some areas that dish offers them and they are planning on offering more. Just keep an eye out and im sure some one else who knows a little more that I do will chime in here :) Welcome to satguys!

Isn't this the type of situation where you get "waivers" from the Harrisburg PA TV stations ?? Of course, they may argue that you can in fact receive their signal but it actually comes down to specific locations. Just because someone else who is "X" miles away from H'burg can receive them doesn't mean you can.

You then qualify -- legitimately -- for "distant networks", i.e. WCBS, WNBC, WABC (New York) and KCBS, KNBC, NABC (LA), or so I thought.

doublek97 said:
I live in an area (central PA) where we cannot receive any stations (with any quality, that is) over-the-air. We have been assigned to the Harrisburg, PA DMA and have those locals available through Dish. Cable customers in our area have both Harrisburg locals and locals from the Johnstown-Altoona DMA.

I know there was a ruling regarding "significantly viewed channels" being allowed to be offered to satellite customers, but don't know the particulars. I know that many of the Johnstown-Altoona stations qualify as "significantly viewed" stations in our county. Is Dish "required" to offer them to us, or simply just "permitted" to offer them?

Nope, if you are lucky (Washington, DC) then you get SV locals, but not for us who REALLY need them to get actual local news, weather, and sports. But I'd say the chances of E* bringing in SV locals are just as big as the Piarates winning the World Series:p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)