Question re Dish VIP722K - 2nd TV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jblack0815

Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Florida
I know my question is probably a terribly "dumb" question, but I'm going to ask anyway. Is there such a thing as a coax to HDMI converter?

I have a Dish VIP722K. I want to get an HDMI signal to the second TV on my receiver (separate room), but it is connected via coax. I know I can get a fourth receiver and connect to HDMI that way. I can also get a Hopper with a Joey; Dish tells me it will give me HDMI at each TV. What can I say, I'm cheap and I don't want to replace all of my receivers. So, is there such a thing as a coax to HDMI converter so I can get the HDMI at the second TV?

Thanks for any help and for not poking too much fun at me,
Jan

The signal from the second output on a 722K is an SD signal, so that's all you are going to get no matter how you connect. If you don't need the second TV to watch independently from the first TV, meaning both TV's must watch the same thing at the same time there are ways to get the HD/HDMI signal to the second TV. I don't believe there is anything that takes an analog (SD) signal and makes it so it would work with a Digital (HD) HDMI input and certainly wouldn't make it HD.

Thanks so much for your answer. May I ask one more question, also dumb? So the signal comes in from the satellite to the house on coax; is the Dish box that converts it to HD?

No. The DISH box converts the encryption so that it can be seen on the TV. Without the box the signal can not be seen. The HD or SD signal comes from the satellite and is sent to the DISH, that signal is send via coax to the DISH receiver.

Reactions: jblack0815
I am sorry to bother you with my questions, but since you are so helpful.... So is it that Dish sends two signals (one SD and one HD)., unencrypts them at the receiver and splits and sends one out as SD and one as HD? Are they ever, do you think, going to offer two HD signals.? Or am I completely confused?

Yep, confused. :)

It isn't the amount of signals that is what won't allow what you want to do. It's the receiver. The receiver gets the HD signal and SD signal. The receiver then outputs whatever channel you are picking, it could be from the SD signal or HD signal. The 722 only has one HD output and one SD output and they are independent of each other, meaning you can watch different things on two TV's but one in HD and one in SD. If DISH had a receiver with two HD outputs you could do what you want. There are no receivers from DISH (or Directv or Cable as far as I know) with two HD outputs that allow you to watch two different things in HD. That requires some kind of second receiver.

Reactions: jblack0815
Also just to be clear, there is a second HD output, but it would require you to watch the same thing on both TV's as I mentioned, it is a composite connection not HDMI but it is HD. It simply sees the same thing the HDMI output does unlike the SD output that sees a separate channel.

Thank you! I wasn't as confused as I sounded--poor communication. But you made a complex (in my mind) question a lot simpler. And I now know and understand why I cannot do what I wanted. Darn it!

Reactions: Tampa8
You can use an HDMI splitter with/or HDMI extender via Cat6 Internet cable and get HD signal to both TV's, you can control both TV's with UHF remotes, but both TV's will show the same picture.

Reactions: Tecnicoloco

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts