Question Re Larger KU Sat Dishes

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sidekick

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 17, 2005
Port Angeles, Washington
I find that some of my signals simply aren't consistant in the "quality department. I've read here in the forum that larger dishes can give better reception. I currently have a 33" Winegard and was considering upgrading to a Winegard 1 meter dish. Do you think that would greatly improve my reception? Thanks!

Arion

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 23, 2005
Greatly improve?? No. But, it would be an improvement. You would be going from a 33" dish to a dish about 37". That extra 4 inches will help you pull in weaker sigs and make for a more watchable picture especially in light rain but it won't do wonders. Now, if you went to a 120cm dish that would make for your "greatly improved reception" requirement.

aaron01

SatelliteGuys Family
Feb 4, 2005
Lima, OH
Actually, I believe Winegard only makes 76cm (30") and 1m (39") for FTA. I have a Winegard 76cm dish and I am considering adding another dish and will probalby get a 1 meter. Now, since I don't yet have one I can't say what it'll do for you but I'm sure it would be a noticeable difference. :)

sidekick

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 17, 2005
Port Angeles, Washington
According to the Winegard site, the height of the 1 meter is 44.8" and the width is 41.3". Of course, the effective aperture is 39.4" which I'm sure is what you're talking about aaron. I think I'll end up getting it. It certainly shouldn't hurt the quality!

http://www.winegard.com/home/1m.htm (sorry, don't know how to add a hyperlink at this site)

aaron01

SatelliteGuys Family
Feb 4, 2005
Lima, OH
Yes actually I was just going to say, the measurements 76cm and 1m refer to the effective aperture.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
but some dishes have a lot of weight to them (I have a DirecPC that is 39x23 but weighs a lot...won't work on a SG2100) :)

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
I don't know....I have 2 DPC dishes and one weighs probably 1/2 of the other.
The 39x23 dish I have is one HEAVY MOTHER.....I'd have to customize a mount for it due to the size of almost everything.

I thought of doing it once but the way my roof is, it wouldnt be able to motor as far as the 30" does right now. :)

Sir Solti

Oct 1, 2005
Where do you go to find a one meter winegard dish? Is there somplace on the web that sells them and can ship them to a residence or do you need to go find a dealer in town?

saidias

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 13, 2005
Winegard Inc. is located in Burlington, IA, 45 miles East of my house:) WOO HOO!

Sir Solti

Oct 1, 2005
If you drive by Burlington, will Winegard let you pick up a dish in person? That would be a very good way to not get the big shipping charge.

saidias

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 13, 2005
I called Winegard, they do not allow pickup from the public. They only sell to dealers. They did give me the name of a dealer (ex winegard employee) who lives in Burlington. Im sure he would let you pick one up, and since he used to work there, a great "in-person".

I plan to remake my mounts out of aluminum.

Anole

SatelliteGuys Master
Sep 22, 2005
L.A., Calif.
1m = $100 ?

I was doing some searching for related products and ran across the Winegard DS3100, 40" for $99.
Does that sound reasonable?
As for it being hard to find... uhhh.. no...

snathanb

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Feb 26, 2004
DFW
Iceberg said:
I don't know....I have 2 DPC dishes and one weighs probably 1/2 of the other.
The 39x23 dish I have is one HEAVY MOTHER.....I'd have to customize a mount for it due to the size of almost everything.

Ha! I think I've got both of those, too!

sidekick

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 17, 2005
Port Angeles, Washington
Well, I decided against buying the 1 meter Winegard dish. Actually, Jimmy at dvbhardware.com talked me out of it, saying I really shoudn't need it. (If that isn't an indicator of an honest dealer, I don't know what is). He told me to try making a couple of adjustments and now I have my G10r back in the high 70's and I'm getting the east coast sats as well. I love it when you get 300+ hits on the blind scan!!! Now maybe I can stay off the roof for a while. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Twinhan VP 1020a with Starchoice LNB

Pansat 3500s

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)