Question re. Mid-Mich. locals, Flint/Sag.

old corps

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 13, 2005
Mid-Michigan
Dish's site still only lists ABC-12 and Fox-66 available in HD. Is this true, no CBS-5 or NBC-25??? Those are the ones I have the most trouble with in bad (windy) weather OTA. I can't see bothering with getting them out here for 61.5 to get just 12 and 66.

Another ignorant question: If one has both 61.5 and 129 and the signal takes a dump on one of 'em will the receiver automatically lock on the other?

Thanks for your input!

Ed

Dish's site still only lists ABC-12 and Fox-66 available in HD. Is this true, no CBS-5 or NBC-25??? Those are the ones I have the most trouble with in bad (windy) weather OTA. I can't see bothering with getting them out here for 61.5 to get just 12 and 66.

Another ignorant question: If one has both 61.5 and 129 and the signal takes a dump on one of 'em will the receiver automatically lock on the other?

Thanks for your input!

Ed

Wnem - 5

Wjrt - 12

Wsmh - 66

Are the new HD locals that Dish is carrying from the new spotbeam on 61.5 satellite.

Why would you have both 61.5 AND 129? They mirror each other on channels, except 129 also carries Chicago HD locals. Yes, if the signal goes out on one, it might still see the other. Depends on why the signal went out. However, if you have a dvr set to record a channel on the one that goes out, it won't automatically switch over to the other sat to record that same channel over there.

I need 129 because FSN/Detroit/HD is NOT on 61.5, ONLY 129. I was in the process of having a dish installed for 61.5 last summer until I was told that. So CBS/ch.5 is on in HD, right? Wish they'd get NBC/25 turned on. Thanks.

Ed

So CBS/ch.5 is on in HD, right? Wish they'd get NBC/25 turned on. Thanks.

Ed

Yes, they are in HD on 61.5 spotbeam 3 these channels are next to your sd versions, if you have the mapdown feature turned on:

Wnem - 5 (5161)

Wjrt - 12 (5160)

Wsmh - 66 (5163)

I agree with 25, I think there's a contract dispute. I'd also like to get an HD local for CW 46, as I like to watch Smallville, Supernatural, and Reaper on that network, and they'd be better in HD. A question to you: can you tell me which receiver you are using, and what your signal levels are on those channels? I only get 43-44, on a VIP622 and I'm slightly north and west of Midland.

I have a 622 and a 722. Since I don't currently have 61.5 I can't help you with signal srengths there but on 129 mine range between a low of about 40 to a high of about 58 depending on the tp. With the newer signal strength download I would think 42/43 would be ok. :confused: On my 110, tp 13 and 129, tp 6 that's what I average and I don't lose the signal unless the weather is really bad. I'm North of Flint, South of Saginaw.

Ed

I have a 622 and a 722. Since I don't currently have 61.5 I can't help you with signal srengths there but on 129 mine range between a low of about 40 to a high of about 58 depending on the tp. With the newer signal strength download I would think 42/43 would be ok. :confused: On my 110, tp 13 and 129, tp 6 that's what I average and I don't lose the signal unless the weather is really bad. I'm North of Flint, South of Saginaw.

Ed

Yeah, I also would think that around a 43 would be good enough to hold the signal. But apparently, since that's a spotbeam transponder, it's not enough signal, as only those HD channels drop out easily, even with very little bad weather. Just heavy wet cloud cover, and not even active rain took them out last night off and on. However, MonsterHD channel at a level of around 58 stayed active. That's on a different transponder though. Unfortunately, I was recording at the same time, and couldn't switch to the dish aiming screen to check levels when it dropped out.

That sucks. Maybe I'll be ok because my location would be more "centered" with the spotbeam. I'm not in a rush to get another dish aimed because I get 'em fine OTA EXCEPT when it's real windy--lotsa trees near my antenna.

Ed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts