Question regarding equipment

akhilleus

Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
Hello, Just joined this forum and I have been reading for a while now, decided to inquire about some equipments needed to watch HDTV OTA. I got
1) HDTV
2) Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4200 from Rogers (i think it equals the stb capable of OTA?)

Now the question is, what else do i need?. I am from Markham, Ontario, Canada... and I do not know where to find antennas etc. If anyone is around markham, scarborough or the GTA, it would be very kind of you to help me our, and Thanks alot! Great forum and keep it up :)

Ota

Is that a cable box, or is it just for OTA? Do you have cable or satellite?
I'm not from Canada, but do you have Radio Shack stores there? If you're not too far(maybe 30 miles from the broadcast towers), you may be able to receive OTA signals with an indoor antenna. If not, do you have access to anyone selling Winegard or Channelmaster antennas? I went with a Winegard antenna, but they're both high quality antennas.

http://www.sciatl.com/products/consumers/Exp4200HD.htm

I have limited knowledge about it, but tahts the link to it.
I have digital cable capable of watching HD so i thought that it would be suitable, I have radio shack and i dont know how far the antenna needs to be capable of.
I am 91 km from buffalo, so i guess i have to buy a UHF antenna that can receive signals from that far.. costs aroud 160 CDN, normal? thanks!

Back in the day I lived in Downsview, Ontario in the GTA. I lived in a townhouse complex with a large antenna on a tower that was about 30 ft tall. Buffalo stations came in pretty well on that, but I am not sure if you can get away with less. You should also be able to pick up Erie PA from time to time with a good outdoor antenna.

Alot of Americans subscribe to Bell ExpressVU because of the large number of US stations that they carry in HD. Maybe that's worth a look?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)