Question regarding installing with only 1 joey, and potentially adding 2 later

XorCist

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 6, 2006
so im thinking of getting dish installed (granted my credit is decent enough to pass the check...going thru a bankruptcy so we'll see what happens) but anywho, if i only get 2 rooms installed initially, is there an extra cost (like a truck roll fee) if i want to add 2 more rooms later? (yes i know i'll have to pay the 7$ per extra joey) just debating if it is better to just eat the $14/month until i install tv's in the other rooms which will prolly be ~3-4 months
thanks

might be worth messaging DIRT and asking.

Usually 3 joeys are free with the initial install, but I don't think it's clear what happens with a later upgrade. If you have no existing wiring and splitters for the extra joeys, then that could create a truck roll. A second hopper would definitely generate a truck roll.

thats what i figured....i think i'll just eat the $ up front even tho they're not used...be cheaper in the long run than having a second tech visit

When it comes to equipment it is always better to have it put in during the first install. If you decide to add more in a month or two you will have to go through the upgrade process which will require a fee and renewal of a 24 month contract.

Make sure you have a tv that is moveable to all locations so the tech can set everything up, if he'll even do it! When customers don't have tv's at all locations, techs are hesitant to install for fear of a TC when you get other tv's and can't get them to work, and I already know what your thinking," what idiot cant hook up a tv", trust me ask any installer that question and see how many answers you get.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Jimmerinwi said:
Make sure you have a tv that is moveable to all locations so the tech can set everything up, if he'll even do it! When customers don't have tv's at all locations, techs are hesitant to install for fear of a TC when you get other tv's and can't get them to work, and I already know what your thinking," what idiot cant hook up a tv", trust me ask any installer that question and see how many answers you get.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Atleast 1 person a month can't get thier new TV to work.....

Also very important to have a portable TV to ensure all locations work properly. Too many nuances of new hopefully Joey system having issues after install. Even on 100 percent new install.

thats what i figured....i think i'll just eat the $ up front even tho they're not used...be cheaper in the long run than having a second tech visit

You could also buy the 2 joeys from someone like dishdepot and hook them up to the solo node. Then they could be activated and deactivated however you want. A few people are doing that for guest rooms. It really depends on whether you have any existing wiring or not for those other two locations that want to add later. They would generally only need RG59 for the joey locations.

You can check out the wiring diagrams here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=279755

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts