Question

I'm a Sony fan. You can get the same prices (retail) on their S350 and S550 models respectively. OR you can sign-up for a Sony Visa card and use that to save $150 on either model at SonyStyle.com. The 350 is BD Live capable with a SW update and the 550 is ready out of the box. Other features are about the same as the Panasonics. The Panasonics might have superior PQ especially for upconverts. I haven't seen any recent reviews of the Sonys nor direct comparison to the Panasonics...

I agree with Ilya. BD35 and 55 are extremely great products and have full decoding plus bitstream capabilities to go with 2.0. Panasonic's support for their products is second to none.

S~

You didn't say what type of receiver you have. If you have HDMI, then the BD35 is 299 and is excellent.

S~

Do you have a receiver capable of extracting audio from HDMI?
If so, I would recommend Panasonic DMP-BD35 ($299 MSRP)
If you need analog audio outs, for $100 more you can get DMP-BD55.
Both are very good and have all the latest BD features. See this thread:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/blu-ray-forum/151719-panasonic-dmp-bd35-dmp-bd55.html

I just bought a DMP-BD55K. Its an awsome player. If you don't need the 7.1 analog outputs, you're gonna save $100 as mentioned above. It blows away my Toshiba HD-A20 HD-DVD player.

Also consider what type of discs it plays. I burned lots of video on DVD+R's and the lower end Sony's do not support that disc type.

If you can wait till Thanksgiving, there's a rumor that Sears will have a "Sony Blu-ray player for $179.99" during their Black Friday sale. The model that the link sends you to is the BDP-S350.

I just bought it on Sony styles. Opened an account and got a $150 credit on your first purchase (and my last LOL!!). $150 for a BDP-S350 isn't bad.

It might be my last purchase as well! But it is a Chase "Rewards" card. I have another in that series that I use a LOT until I max. out the rewards in a given annual cycle ($300). That card lets me take the reward as cash, which I have done twice. You can also get a slightly higher value for it in the form of gift cards at various merchants, most of which are of no interest to me. The Sony rewards card will only offer discounts on Sony products (and I believe only if purchased at SonyStyle.com - I haven't read the "fine print" yet). But as a Sony fan, there is a slight possibility that I might find something I want and they do offer specials from time-to-time. If I see enough of those then I might start using that card for other purchases...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)