Questions about DISH - before I jump

ActionAl

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I've been a TWC customer for decades, currently have Signature service. I'm sick of their crap DVR's, limited channel choices, frequent outages (including many during nice days). None of neighbors have DISH, only TWC, TDS, or DTV. So I need some advice from current DISH subscribers.

DISH Service / DISH Customer Service:
1) How frequent are outages?
2) When there is an outage, how long do they last?
3) When problems occur, how is DISH to deal with?

Install / Installer
I have a special location I would put the dish and I want to run the wire myself in advance because I want a neat install, not just a fast hack job.
4) One local retailer I've contacted suggested 3 cables of 3GHz. Is 18AWG Quad Shield RG6/U the same thing or better?
5) Should I run a separate #10 copper ground wire?
6) Is a local retailer/installer the best choice for install or is an 800 number company just as good?

Promos / Referral codes
7) Is there really a benefit of using referral codes if I deal with a local retailer/installer?
8) Will I get the best (same) deal from a local retailer/installer or some 800 number company?
(some have as much as $100 Visa gift card)

Setup / Operation
I'm leaning towards two HWS with one Joey in place the current TWC set up of two HD-DVR's and one Tivo for the three HDTV's that are used.
9) Is my potential setup a decent way to go or would a HWS, Super Joey, and Joey be better in some way?
10) What do I need if I want to watch something on a PC, Macbook, Laptop, Tablet, Smartphone?
(yes I have them all) Or does the Sling part of the HWS take of this?
11) Is there anyway to archive shows from the HWS?
(Some shows on the Tivo can be copied to a networked PC if the proper "flag" is set for the show)

1 & 2: I VERY rarely have any outage. Even then, it's usually a few seconds. Might get a few minutes loss every other year or so. YMMV.

3. Not often they need to send someone out, but it might be next day or a few days. Depends upon a lot of factors.

4. Quad shield is not necessarily 3GHz. Look for coax labelled 3GHz. Ensure your connectors are rated 3 GHz also - that is where many problems arise. I avoid Quad as unnecessary and more difficult to deal with.

5. You should ground your dish in full accordance with local codes.
Cough, cough. I've never had a dish grounded.

6. Local retailer that actually does the install is the best. Many, maybe most, are just order takers and pass it on to Dish.

7. Yes, you could save by using a referral code. Ahem.

8. Local retailer MIGHT give you a little extra.

9. I prefer 2 HWS for the redundancy. If one goes out, you still have TV while waiting for the replacement.

10. Free Dish Anywhere app. Sling it anywhere you have an Internet connection. Or also do what we do: Download a few programs into your iPad, etc, and watch even if there is no Internet connection.

11. Archive, as in two copies, no. You can move programs to an external self powered HDD. If that drive happens to be a hardware RAID, well, you've kinda got two copies. There are Linux tools to clone a drive. No support from Dish on this, of course.

I hope this helps.

I hardly ever have any outage, and we get lots of pop up thundershowers this time of year. I will second the motion on getting two Hoppers. Will give you six tuners and redundancy if one Hopper goes out for some reason and needs replaced. As for cabling, any good quality RG6 that is labeled 3ghz will work as Navy said. As far as extra discounts, if you'll send a private message to any Dish subscriber here at this board, one of us can give you a referral code and you'll save an extra $5 off for 10 months.

Reactions: ActionAl
3. In my experience, service is excellent. Another MAJOR advantage is DIRT (Dish Internet Response Team) that you can access through this forum. They are always knowledgeable, and work hard to keep customers happy. I, like many here, consider them cyber friends.

I really appreciate the multiple and very quick replies! It's making the jump a lot easier.

The biggest problem probably will be getting the wife use to the change. But she is the biggest complainer of our TWC issues.

4) One local retailer I've contacted suggested 3 cables of 3GHz. Is 18AWG Quad Shield RG6/U the same thing or better?
How many cables you run depends on where you locate components.

For two Hoppers, you need three 2 GHz rated cables from the dish to the Node, then one 3 GHz rated cable to each Hopper and one RG-59 cable or better to the Joey. The Joey can also use a "tap" in the line to the Hopper.

For one Hopper and Super Joey, you need two 2 GHz rated cables from the dish to the Node and a third to the Integrator. Then 3 GHz rated cable from Node to Hopper and 2 GHz rated cable from Integrator to Super Joey. Plus one RG-59 or better cable to the Joey.

Make it easy on yourself and use 3 GHz rated RG-6 everywhere.

Where you locate the Node and Integrator is personal preference. If you have a central cable distribution point, it makes sense to locate these items there. You can also locate them in a basement or crawl space. Many (most?) locate them at the dish. In your case, there will be 3 cables from the dish region regardless of the location of the Node and Integrator or whether it's one or two Hoppers.
5) Should I run a separate #10 copper ground wire?
Local codes and Dish require the dish and cables connecting to it to be grounded. The Node can act as a ground block, with ground wires running on to the dish from there. If Node and Integrator are located inside, you'll need to install ground blocks before the cables enter the building.

2 Hoppers vs Hopper + SJ:
2 Hoppers provides redundancy and more storage so if you loose one, you still have some programming at some viewing locations. But you WILL loose all programs recorded on the Hopper that died unless they are moved to an external disk. Each Hopper needs it's own external hard disk and can only sling programs on its INTERNAL drive. You get 6 tuners.

1 Hopper plus a Super Joey is better integrated since there's only one DVR. You also only have 5 tuners (3 in the Hopper plus 2 more in SJ). If the Hopper dies, you loose all programming and all viewing locations (SJ and Joey don't function on their own).

I move all programs to an external drive as soon as possible after recording so programming isn't lost if Hopper fails. With two Hoppers you could manually set up to record the same programs on both and have redundancy too but that reduces the number of available tuners and DVR storage.

What is the right solution for you depends on too many factors for me to say for sure.

The caution I will give is you are located in Wisconsin Navy Chop is in Va. and bobvick is in Alabama there winter weather is going to be milder than yours. I suspect you could have some blizzards that will cause outages and block roads for service calls factor that in.

Just keep the snow knocked off the dish. We had a freak 10-12" of snow here last winter, just kept the snow knocked off the dishes and I was fine, till the power went out, haha

The caution I will give is you are located in Wisconsin Navy Chop is in Va. and bobvick is in Alabama there winter weather is going to be milder than yours. I suspect you could have some blizzards that will cause outages and block roads for service calls factor that in.
I'm hopeful that the location I've picked out is somewhat shielded from snow blowing at the dish (I was told SE is the direction it'll have to face) and the backside of the dish would be covered.

I've noticed some sat dishes mounted on other houses with a cloth cover, is this how to keep snow off?

Just keep the snow knocked off the dish. We had a freak 10-12" of snow here last winter, just kept the snow knocked off the dishes and I was fine, till the power went out, haha
My problem has been with TWC going out for many hours, even in good weather. And when cable is out, I can't watch anything on the TWC DVR's (Tivo is okay).

At my house, the power has only been out for a couple hours once in 12 years, with the other times being just a few minutes.

You'll point toward the southwest generally speaking, but you need a good southern exposure. What market are you in? That will dictate whether or not you HAVE to be on an EA (eastern arc 61.5W, 72W setup). Usually, you'll get better signal strength off of the WA (western arc, 110W, 119W, 129W) satellites.

I bet your in the Milwaukee DMA, so your going to be an Eastern Arc only market and point to 61.5W and 72W, so you'll be pointing east of due south.

I bet your in the Milwaukee DMA, so your going to be an Eastern Arc only market and point to 61.5W and 72W, so you'll be pointing east of due south.
Yep. I'm 30 minutes SW of Milwaukee. I just found an app for my Android phone that works like Google Sky to locate satellites that's pretty cool.

I don't often have to use this function on my HWS but just one other thing to note. Unlike your TWC DVRs if you happen to get a rare extended outage (ie you can't knock the snow off the Dish if it occurs) you can still access your DVR recordings as well as access the On Demand programming that Dish has available.

I'm hopeful that the location I've picked out is somewhat shielded from snow blowing at the dish (I was told SE is the direction it'll have to face) and the backside of the dish would be covered.

I've noticed some sat dishes mounted on other houses with a cloth cover, is this how to keep snow off?
Yes, this works for some.

There are also heaters you can attach to the back, which may help, but do nothing for the LNB.

Regarding outages, remember you can purchase an optional OTA adapter for each hopper, if you go with two.

Yes, depending upon the antenna you connect. Rooftop is best, followed by attic mount.

30 miles is not so far. All in the same direction?

All the towers should be mostly in the same direction (NE). I have an antenna in my garage I've been using for FM. Not sure if a HDTV antenna will work, but I could give it try.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)