Questions about getting Dish ( currently fed up with Comcast )

Navy,, not to confuse the matter, but it sounds like the Holland Splitter is being used as a diplexor and the incoming sat feed and the tv backfeed are on the same cable back to the Holland, so she would need to split to her other tv's after the Holland splitter and not behind the receiver at the Home Distribution Port (channel 21-69 output). My guess is there is another Holland splitter and a Separator behind the receiver in her daughters room She said there was 1 incoming cable to a junction with an 8 way splitter that fed each other room.

Sheila with this setup you can still only watch 2 live channels at the same time, it's just all the other tv's will have access to whatever is being watched. You would still need another Satellite Receiver if you are wanting to be able to watch 3 separate channels at the same time on 3 different tv's.

Yes, I agree. But what I described is simplest -in concept-. Another way of looking at it is your way might be less work. The advantage of NOT back feeding is if she moves to a Hopper it will be a simpler move, as the Hopper does not allow backfeeds.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

yes, I am just assuming she is wanting to use it as it is wired and not have to try and run/pull more cable.
dedicated lines would be better and would be needed with a Hopper although backfeeding from a Hopper or Joey is a truly different pain in the rearend, since there is no rf output on them and opens a whole other can of worms unless one wants to use a wireless Joey and just take it from tv to tv when needed.

One TV is HD, which is the main one that is hooked up. I have one more HD TV that is not hooked up, and all 3 of my TVs are the old tube type tvs. One of my tube type Tvs is currently hooked up and is able to watch tv shows differently from what my daughter is watching. The way the wiring comes into the house, is one long line comes in to the 2 way splitter. Taht wire goes directly from the splitter to my Vip22k, and the other wire goes up through the ceiling of the garage into my office upstairs. It has no box. The other tvs are not hooked up at all. The way the Charter had it hooked up, the main line is hooked into an 8 way splitter, and then the wire split off to the various rooms. The Dish guy came in and disconnected the main line from the Charter 8 way splitter and hooked it into the Dish 2 way splitter, then sent it from the 2 way splitter to the VIP22k box, and the other line to my tube tv upstairs through the ceiling. I don't understand why I couldn't just replace the current Charter 8 way splitter with the one that is mentioned below, running the main line to the 8 way splitter, then directly to the VIP22K box, and the others running to the other tvs. It seems to me that once it's run to the VIP22k, I would need to then run it back to the 8 way splitter to give that same signal to the other tvs.
OK, it seems he did a backfeed. We can do this. But it would be simpler to go direct, if your wiring supports.

I am going to make some assumptions. Correct me where I am wrong. I believe you said all your TVs are "analog" which I take to mean SD. But I don't know why you would have a ViP222K receiver if all your TVs are SD. And there are only 5 locations you are really interested in feeding. I assume your primary TV is connected by coax to the "CH 3-4 TV1 output" - left click on the below to make it bigger and you can see.

View attachment 95665

Next to that is a "Channel 21-69" output. To this, you can connect a coax which is in turn run to the input of your 8 way splitter. Then, from each output of that splitter, you have a coax run straight to various TVs. You will have to do some menu work to establish channels, but we can go over that later. If this works, each of the TVs fed from the splitter will have two channels to choose from. You simply use the TV tuner as if it were an OTA signal. Perhaps channel 25 & 60, for example. If this does NOT work, you can get a 4 way distribution amp, similar to what was posted above, but cheaper. Put it in place of the 8 way splitter and plug it in. If you really want to feed more than 4 remote TVs, then move to the 8 way distro amp.

If your primary TV is in fact an HDTV, then it is likely connected to the HDMI/HDTV output rather than the "CH 3-4 TV1 output." All else remains the same, assuming SDTVs elsewhere.

It is possible your main TV, especially if it is an SDTV, is connected to the composite or S-Video outputs. Point is, we need not fool with how this primary TV is connected, assuming it is working. You need only use the Home Distribution option for the other TVs.

Is this making any sense? We can discuss building upon the back feed setup, but that is just a tad more complicated. A lot depends upon how easily you can get to these components and coax.

Splitter Drawing.jpgThis is a simple drawing of the way it is currently wired.
Navy,, not to confuse the matter, but it sounds like the Holland Splitter is being used as a diplexor and the incoming sat feed and the tv backfeed are on the same cable back to the Holland, so she would need to split to her other tv's after the Holland splitter and not behind the receiver at the Home Distribution Port (channel 21-69 output). My guess is there is another Holland splitter and a Separator behind the receiver in her daughters room She said there was 1 incoming cable to a junction with an 8 way splitter that fed each other room.

Sheila with this setup you can still only watch 2 live channels at the same time, it's just all the other tv's will have access to whatever is being watched. You would still need another Satellite Receiver if you are wanting to be able to watch 3 separate channels at the same time on 3 different tv's.

Satellite and Cable work totally different. They are different types of broadcast transmission that are not interchangeable. Take some pictures of the Dish splitter and take a picture of the wiring behind the 222K with a phone or something and post them, as there should be a separator and diplexor behind the 222k (they look like splitters but are not) . You cant replace the dish equipment with the cable splitter. They are different technologies inside and are NOT interchangeable. They perform different functions.

disconnect the coax from the Dish Diplexor (splitter) that goes to your office. connect it to your old cable splitter and then connect a short piece of coax between the cable splitter input and the now empty connection on the Dish Diplexor (splitter). If all your other tv's are still connected to the cable splitter, then go and tune them to whatever channel your office tv is tuned to for receiving the dish signal. You can then take the TV 2 remote around the house with you to the other tv's and watch Dish on the TV 2 output. All of those tv's will only be able to watch the same Dish channel though. They will not be able to independently tune and watch something different at the same time on them

Satellite and Cable work totally different. They are different types of broadcast transmission that are not interchangeable. Take some pictures of the Dish splitter and take a picture of the wiring behind the 222K with a phone or something and post them, as there should be a separator and diplexor behind the 222k (they look like splitters but are not) . You cant replace the dish equipment with the cable splitter. They are different technologies inside and are NOT interchangeable. They perform different functions.

disconnect the coax from the Dish Diplexor (splitter) that goes to your office. connect it to your old cable splitter and then connect a short piece of coax between the cable splitter input and the now empty connection on the Dish Diplexor (splitter). If all your other tv's are still connected to the cable splitter, then go and tune them to whatever channel your office tv is tuned to for receiving the dish signal. You can then take the TV 2 remote around the house with you to the other tv's and watch Dish on the TV 2 output. All of those tv's will only be able to watch the same Dish channel though. They will not be able to independently tune and watch something different at the same time on them

Thank you. This is what I wanted to do. Now the other problem...for the life of me, we can't get that coax disconnected from the diplexer. We have tried and tried, and it just won't unscrew. (no, we're not turning it the wrong direction.) Do you think it was maybe soldered on there? I can't imagine why in the world it won't unscrew!

Thank you. This is what I wanted to do. Now the other problem...for the life of me, we can't get that coax disconnected from the diplexer. We have tried and tried, and it just won't unscrew. (no, we're not turning it the wrong direction.) Do you think it was maybe soldered on there? I can't imagine why in the world it won't unscrew!

Try a 7/16 open end wrench or a pair of pliers. The tech may have tighten it slightly so you can't undo it by hand

Corrosion.

Cut it off and put a new fitting on.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts