Questions about Hopper-Joey DVR recordings

BarnRat

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 30, 2021
SW USA
(Background: I'm having my old MPEG2 hdw replaced soon with a Hopper-Joey setup.)

I just got off the phone with Dish Tech Support and I want to make sure that I was told the correct info . . .

My question: If DVR recordings are made from the Hopper and DVR recordings are made from the Joey, are all the recordings stored in the same list? His answer was: Yes. He said that we could create two folders for each of our recordings (mine and my wife's) but that I could view/manage/modify/delete any recordings I want to, whether they were recorded by me or by her.

Do I have this correct?

(Background: I'm having my old MPEG2 hdw replaced soon with a Hopper-Joey setup.)

I just got off the phone with Dish Tech Support and I want to make sure that I was told the correct info . . .

My question: If DVR recordings are made from the Hopper and DVR recordings are made from the Joey, are all the recordings stored in the same list? His answer was: Yes. He said that we could create two folders for each of our recordings (mine and my wife's) but that I could view/manage/modify/delete any recordings I want to, whether they were recorded by me or by her.

Do I have this correct?
All the recordings are on the Hopper 3 and the Joey just remotes into to them. You can setup, watch, delete recordings from the Joey but they are all held on the Hopper.
He is correct about the folder thing, she would also have all access to the folders, yours and hers.

We don't have young children around but what about folks who do? How do they keep their R-rated recordings from being seen by a child with a Joey-TV setup in his bedroom?

(Wish I had a decent Hopper User's Manual PDF -- maybe I could get answers from it without calling Dish or bugging you guys.)

You can use Parental Controls.
1) Set up a Parental Passcode
2) You can Restrict Purchases
3) You can Hide Adult Programs
4) You can Lock Channels
5) You can Hide Locked Channels
6) You can set up Restricted TV Shows
7) You can set up Restricted Movies
8) You can set up Restricted Categories
9) You can set up Restricted Apps

I don’t personally use this since I live alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Under Restricted Movies and Restricted TV Shows you can restrict the content based on the rating.
1) TV-Y7
2) TV-Y7V
3) TV-G
4) TV-PG
5) TV-MA
6) None

Reactions: navychop
Under Restricted Movies and Restricted TV Shows you can restrict the content based on the rating.
1) TV-Y7
2) TV-Y7V
3) TV-G
4) TV-PG
5) TV-MA
6) None

Yes, but once again, isn't that for viewing the satellite channels? How about DVR recordings of those channels? Can you put recorded programs in a restricted folder?

Yes, but aren't those for viewing channels? How about DVR recordings of programs/movies from locked channels?

I did a test.
1) I set up Parental Controls
2) I then locked out channel 106
3) The Andy Griffith show was locked until I entered the pass code
4) I created a recording of the locked channel
5) in order to watch the recording of the locked channel you must enter the pass code

Thus DVR recordings of locked channels require the pass code.

I did a test.
1) I set up Parental Controls
2) I then locked out channel 106
3) The Andy Griffith show was locked until I entered the pass code
4) I created a recording of the locked channel
5) in order to watch the recording of the locked channel you must enter the pass code

Thus DVR recordings of locked channels require the pass code.

Thank you sir! :thumbup :clapping

Reactions: charlesrshell
Another question . . . Does the Hopper and Joey interface allow DVR folder operations like:

- moving recordings from one folder to another
- deleting folders
- re-naming folders
- etc.

Pretty much the kind of file operations that can be done on any Windows 10 PC?

(I'll say it again . . . With a decent Hopper 3 User's Guide PDF maybe I wouldn't have to ask these basic questions.)

Do the Hopper help screens go into all this stuff?

You can do all that. Simply press dvr / Options / Manage Folders / Select folder. Now, you can rename or delete.

select “Create new folder” to combine few shows in the same folder.

in order to move a show from one folder into another one:

dvr / Select folder ( that you already created with recordings in it) / Press Select / Options / Manage recordings / select a recording / move to folder / scroll and find a folder you want/ press Select on remote.

you will use both a remote and tv screen ( hopper dvr feature)
for steps. Not hard. You will figure it out.

Creating folders and naming them are wonderful. Who wants so many recordings listed all together?

Reactions: BarnRat
I forgot to mention. You can do all these with Joey, too. My daily tv is connected to Joey. I do it constantly.
Are all the necessary day-to-day user functions available on the Joey? I would guess that there are system-related functions that are only available on the Hopper ???

Are all the necessary day-to-day user functions available on the Joey? I would guess that there are system-related functions that are only available on the Hopper ???
Correct, all the functions necessary to record and watch are available from the Joey, but things like adding local channels, scanning local channels and other basic system changes must be made at the Hopper. You can even move recordings to an external hard drive attached to the Hopper with the Joey.

Reactions: BarnRat
Correct, all the functions necessary to record and watch are available from the Joey, but things like adding local channels, scanning local channels and other basic system changes must be made at the Hopper. You can even move recordings to an external hard drive attached to the Hopper with the Joey.
Just to clear any confusion about adding local channels, etc., these are over the air channels not satellite local channels. If you don't have an over the air antenna then the point is moot.