Questions about my upcoming Hopper install

PokerMunkee

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
Woodland Park, CO
I'm getting a Hopper and two Joeys installed on Saturday. I can't wait!

I currently have a 722k and 211K The existing coax is strung around my house and drilled through the sidings. I HATE this! I plan on redoing the siding in 12 months, so I want this mess GONE.

I ran new RG6 3GHz cables inside the walls/ceiling to my TVs. I have all of the cables coming into a "distribution panel" in my basement.

Here is a pic:

board.jpg

My questions:

1. Is the Tech going to be mad when he finds out he needs to install F connectors on both ends of my new runs? I have 6 runs I want done. I am going to offer him a $40 tip for this. Is this siffucient?

2. He is going to need to run two new cables from my DISH to the panel. It's about a 25' run, not difficult at all. I am going to pole mount my dish eventually because it's currently bolted on the side of the house. I don't like this, and I'm going to stucco the siding in 12 months. Should he leave a bunch of slack so when I call to get the pole installed, they don't have to rerun this coax?

3. I see two diagrams for my single Hopper install, with or without a Tap. Do I need the tap? What's the purpose of this?

4. Will the Tech provide the 2-way splitter for my two Joeys? The Solo Node and 2-way splitter will all be mounted on my board (see pic above).

Also, I already have a network connection where the Hopper will be located. So I'm 90% sure I won't need a HIC. I don't plan to do any network media stuff.

That's all I can think of. Any advice or wisdom to pass on??

1. Shouldn't be a big deal.
2. Maybe have him pole mount the dish when the Hopper is installed?
3. No you don't need a tap. A tap creates a host and client line from one host line.
4. Yes the splitter will be provided.
Since the Hopper is hardwired you don't need a HIC.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

If i where you i would get that pole mount up and set tonight if your 100% sure of its location and LOS dishpointer.com is a good way to see if the location will clear buildings and tress.

The night prior or early morning move the dish to the new location and remove all the lines connected to the lnb and house but leave the drip loops untill you change your siding.

Tech will install all gear need to get it running since you have home runs to all your tv spots . taps are used to share a line with a hopper and joey so should not be need.

Tech will not be happy with all the extra work but its best not to say any thing about a tip just see what work he dose and if its nice and clean just tell him i think you dropped this.

I probably won't do the siding for another 24 months now that I think about it. So I'll just leave the dish where it's at now and tell the tech to leave 10' of slack on the outside of the house.

Do the Hopper and Joeys come with 6' coax cables that go into the outlet? I don't have anything that are RG6 3GHz.

Thanx guys.

1. No he shouldn't. He most likely will be grateful that you did the hard part for him (running the wiring.)
2. I'm sure he won't have a problem with leaving slack.
3. The tech will take care of the cabling between the Hopper and the outlet. If there's enough slack from the cables you ran, it would be ideal to connect those directly to each receiver. Need to avoid crummy cable outlets that could potentially causes issues.
4. It depends on how your lines are run. If you have lines going to each Hopper, and at least one other line for the 2 Joeys, no tap needed. If only 1 line for the two Joeys, will need a splitter.
5. Don't need the HIC with only 1 Hopper and if you don't plan on DLNA with the Joeys.

The only thing that will probably irritate the installer is the fact that Hopper/Joey are so dang finicky with the preloaded firmware. I've said it a lot but Dish needs to preload better initial firmware on the Hopper/Joey as it can take FOREVER to get them working properly if you don't do it JUST RIGHT. After they download the latest firmware they're a lot more stable.

I'm getting a Hopper and two Joeys installed on Saturday. I can't wait!

I currently have a 722k and 211K The existing coax is strung around my house and drilled through the sidings. I HATE this! I plan on redoing the siding in 12 months, so I want this mess GONE.

I ran new RG6 3GHz cables inside the walls/ceiling to my TVs. I have all of the cables coming into a "distribution panel" in my basement.

Here is a pic:

board.jpg

My questions:

1. Is the Tech going to be mad when he finds out he needs to install F connectors on both ends of my new runs? I have 6 runs I want done. I am going to offer him a $40 tip for this. Is this siffucient?

2. He is going to need to run two new cables from my DISH to the panel. It's about a 25' run, not difficult at all. I am going to pole mount my dish eventually because it's currently bolted on the side of the house. I don't like this, and I'm going to stucco the siding in 12 months. Should he leave a bunch of slack so when I call to get the pole installed, they don't have to rerun this coax?

3. I see two diagrams for my single Hopper install, with or without a Tap. Do I need the tap? What's the purpose of this?

4. Will the Tech provide the 2-way splitter for my two Joeys? The Solo Node and 2-way splitter will all be mounted on my board (see pic above).

Also, I already have a network connection where the Hopper will be located. So I'm 90% sure I won't need a HIC. I don't plan to do any network media stuff.

That's all I can think of. Any advice or wisdom to pass on??

Yea never say never.Get everything you can that supposed to come with with your original installation,so that means have them put in the HIC.If for some reason you want it later,it will cost you.Never assume anything as it will cost you later.

And I would also recommend 2 Hoppers/1Joey but that's just my recommendation as more tuners to me are better,better too many tuners than not enough.Good Luck!.

so that means have them put in the HIC.
As long as the Hopper and internet connection are in the same location, he wouldn't qualify for a HIC whether he wanted one or not. The techs will direct connect to the hopper per Dish's rules before using a HIC. Of course if he swapped hopper and joey locations, the rules would then recommend a HIC.

At least that's how a proper Dish tech should be installing them anyways....

Also, try and convince the tech to run 3 lines from the dish instead of 2. Never know if you might want another Hopper (or 2) eventually! Then again if you can afford it, I'd get 2 Hoppers now instead of later, probably cheaper in the long run.

As long as the Hopper and internet connection are in the same location, he wouldn't qualify for a HIC whether he wanted one or not. The techs will direct connect to the hopper per Dish's rules before using a HIC. Of course if he swapped hopper and joey locations, the rules would then recommend a HIC.

At least that's how a proper Dish tech should be installing them anyways....

My comcast internet modem and router is in the same room as my Hopper and the tech installed a HIC next to my cable modem and router and connected the HIC to the router and reused a RG 6 coax from my old 622 to go from the box installed on outside wall where the node is located.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts