questions about switching from VIP722 to Hopper

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kmmcdonald

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
Currently, we have two VPI722's and are considering switching to a single Hopper. We with to retain and play all of the programming that we currently have saved on the external USB hard drives. To that end, I have some questions:

1) Can the external USB hard drive on one VIP722, along with its content, be used on the other VIP722?

2) Can the external hard drives from each VIP722 be connected to a new Hopper, and can the existing content on the hard drives be played using the Hopper?

3) If we change to having only one TV, is there any point in migrating from a VIP722 to a Hopper?

thanks

Keith

1) Yes, so long as they are on the same account the EHD is transferable between the systems
2) Same as #1
3) It is really up to you. I'll let others chime in

I say yes, because you get 3 tuners, and you get autohop, prime time anytime, better UI, and you can transfer material to a mobile device such as a tablet or phone. There are other reasons, but it is still highly relevant, even in a one tv solution.

Reactions: Bobby
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes, unless you are strapped for cash. Pay no attention to TheKrell. ;)

You will love the Hopper with its better UI and the potential whole home aspects. And the HW is newer, and thereby less failure prone.

OTOH, if you will always be a single unit, maybe transferring all programming to an EHD promptly would be worth it. The ViP722 series is getting long in the tooth. Can you count on the internal HDD? Does your saved programming mean that much to you?

OTOH, if you will always be a single unit, maybe transferring all programming to an EHD promptly would be worth it. The ViP722 series is getting long in the tooth. Can you count on the internal HDD? Does your saved programming mean that much to you?
They already have transferred to EHD.

Because MS is seeing PC sales dropping, and is not dominating the tablet scene, and is hoping for some synergy by making them as alike as possible.

Is a MS touch screen TV next?

MS not too bright these days, IMHO. They don't seem to be adapting well to change. They failed to do so quickly with the Internet, but recovered. Will they do so again?

MS began as a nimble little mouse, grew into a snake and finally a dinosaur. Too many mice to step on them all!

Here's why I haven't switched to the Hopper. I have two VIP722K's with Ext HD's on each, both have Sling devices. One is Dish network's sling connected by USB and the other is a Sling box HD connected by component.

Reasons not to switch:
1. 4 tuners, 2 OTA and 2 Satellite
2. Don't need internet apps as I have several other devices that do internet apps.
3. The system is solid giving me 4 tuners each options for recording at the same time. I've done 3, from time to time. I watch remotely on ipad and iphone any of my recordings and with sling watch from anywhere in the house.
4. Cost for all that to be duplicated with Hopper is lower on the VIP722k
5. OTA gives me solid HD picture when DishNetwork "Locals" go dead. Such as right now, local ABC and NBC are dark due to contract dispute yet I can watch the same networks at higher quality without having to put up with Dish's network contract disputes. Or, when the satellite channels go dark due to rain fade. Local OTA never goes dark.
6. I don't mind the flat looking interface.

Confirming, I swap EHD's all the time between my two VIP722's to transfer recordings between the Kitchen and the Home Theater.

Give me a compelling reason to switch to Hopper and I will. What am I missing?

The hopper can do all that, especially if you have the Hopper with Sling and Super Joey, greater storage areas, and you can not only sling, but also transfer to your mobile device for those times that you do not have Internet. Maybe the wife wants to watch something while driving on a trip. I use it for the kids when driving on long trips. Keeps them happy to get their Doc McStuffins. The game finder is by far greater than the sports finder on the 722. With 2 722's, you are spending $24 in equipment fees each month. With the hopper and super Joey, you'd be spending $22, ultimately saving $24/year. So more ability, better picture, better options, better looking, more tuners for less price than you have currently.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)