Questions about the new line of DVR's

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ciecero

Original poster
Oct 16, 2004
My DVR is 3 year old or so and im looking to purchase a new one.

Is their any DVR models that will let you use the usb port to save content to a thumb drive or connect an extrernal h/d that i could save movies to. Or . . . Is their a Wi-FI device out for directv recievers like tivo has that lets you connect your receiver to your wireless lan? As well can you install new hard drives in the newer DVR's without having to do illegal stuff and void your warrenty. I would like the option to put a bigger h/d in my new dvr if possible, legally.

ciecero

My DVR is 3 year old or so and im looking to purchase a new one.

Is their any DVR models that will let you use the usb port to save content to a thumb drive or connect an extrernal h/d that i could save movies to. Or . . . Is their a Wi-FI device out for directv recievers like tivo has that lets you connect your receiver to your wireless lan? As well can you install new hard drives in the newer DVR's without having to do illegal stuff and void your warrenty. I would like the option to put a bigger h/d in my new dvr if possible, legally.

ciecero

USB Thumb drive or other via USB - not at this point.

There is discussion on another board that the eSATA port on the new HR20 is active (unofficially and unsupported by D*) and can be used with a larger external drive that would replace, rather than augment, the existing disk drive.

No WiFi yet. It is expected that the HR20's functionality will be expanded to serve as a Home Media Center with dumb terminals elsewhere in the home able to access recordings on the "base" HR20. No timetable that I have seen as to that functionality rolling out.

There are outfits like weaknees.com that sell disk drive upgrades, but I do not see any for the new HR20 right now on their web site. I upgraded my 35 hr DirecTiVo to 200+ hours a couple years ago. Unfortunately my 8-year old has learned how to use it and has pretty much filled it up with cartoons (at least until I need to make some space.)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)