questions about voom satellite

brad christoff

Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
Hello, HD heads, I am new and I need some info about Voom. I had Dish HD for a while when Voom came out with a great promo. I cancelled Dish and had 2 no shows with Voom installation. Dude finally came out after 3 weeks (after dark no less), walked out in back and quickly told me I had no line of sight. Well, my ignorance assuming all satellites pointed S.W . I observed in my area on other houses were pointed (Dish and Direct) southwest DOOOOOOH. Totally depressed, I found this wonderful website filled with HD info that helped me find exactly where the voom satellite is located and other interesting facts about HD viewing and my choices, so, could please help me some questions about my options.
1.Why did the the installer seem to be not interested in installing Voom?
2. I have some trees with some open lines to the S.E, how big of window do I need?
3. Does Voom have any plans in the future to have a satellite in the South west now that changes are in the making ?
4. I live in N.W. Indiana (YUK) should I wait for spring after the leaves are out, and try a Voom install again?(offer the installer a bottle of JACK DANIELS!)
5. Am I doomed to get Voom, and do I have any other selections other than the OTHER BIG TWO, to get a big selection of HD channels ?
6.After cancelling Dish, they treat me like the plague, now not being eligible for promos, and forcing me to BUY all equipt. Will I be blackballed forever or is there a time limit as Dish will not reply about this question?
7. With 3 HD widescreens I was forced to get Cable as INHD 1 & 2 are good, the other channels show in letterbox with the black bars! I hate it.
8. Well, that's it. As being wet behind the ears, It would be great if you well educated HD-heads could guide me along to some solutions and options I have. I got a taste of HD through Dish and I am hooked ! I WANT MORE CHANNELS, I WANT MY VOOM !!
You people are wonderful with input to the little guy and I hope to hear from some of you about my dilemma..... THANK YOU.... Brad
(Hey, does Dish or Direct plan to add mucho HD channels in the near future?)

Hi, Brad, I can't all your questions. I'm sure others from your area can help with seeing the VOOM sat from your location. You might check out the VOOM in Your Area forum down below.

I don't know why your installer could be so sure you couldn't see the VOOM sat as you said that he came after dark. Many people have reported that installers seem to like to promote Dish and Direct.

Call a VOOM CSR and nicely demand a second opinion from someone who arrives during the day. Check the in Your Area forum for a good VOOM friendly installer. And don't give up. Although we basically went through hell with our early install in Dec. 2003 and followup service calls for awhile it looks like installations have gotten much better in the past few months. And those at VOOM headquarters do care and will make sure you get VOOM service if at all possible.

And we stuck with VOOM and have enjoyed hundreds of hours of HDTV and still are!

As I said: "Still enjoying HDTV under clearing? Seattle skies", Gill

brad christoff said:
Hello, HD heads, I am new and I need some info about Voom. I had Dish HD for a while when Voom came out with a great promo. I cancelled Dish and had 2 no shows with Voom installation. Dude finally came out after 3 weeks (after dark no less), walked out in back and quickly told me I had no line of sight. Well, my ignorance assuming all satellites pointed S.W . I observed in my area on other houses were pointed (Dish and Direct) southwest DOOOOOOH. Totally depressed, I found this wonderful website filled with HD info that helped me find exactly where the voom satellite is located and other interesting facts about HD viewing and my choices, so, could please help me some questions about my options.
1.Why did the the installer seem to be not interested in installing Voom?
2. I have some trees with some open lines to the S.E, how big of window do I need?
3. Does Voom have any plans in the future to have a satellite in the South west now that changes are in the making ?
4. I live in N.W. Indiana (YUK) should I wait for spring after the leaves are out, and try a Voom install again?(offer the installer a bottle of JACK DANIELS!)
5. Am I doomed to get Voom, and do I have any other selections other than the OTHER BIG TWO, to get a big selection of HD channels ?
6.After cancelling Dish, they treat me like the plague, now not being eligible for promos, and forcing me to BUY all equipt. Will I be blackballed forever or is there a time limit as Dish will not reply about this question?
7. With 3 HD widescreens I was forced to get Cable as INHD 1 & 2 are good, the other channels show in letterbox with the black bars! I hate it.
8. Well, that's it. As being wet behind the ears, It would be great if you well educated HD-heads could guide me along to some solutions and options I have. I got a taste of HD through Dish and I am hooked ! I WANT MORE CHANNELS, I WANT MY VOOM !!
You people are wonderful with input to the little guy and I hope to hear from some of you about my dilemma..... THANK YOU.... Brad
(Hey, does Dish or Direct plan to add mucho HD channels in the near future?)

Let me try to answer some of the question for you.

1. tech sounded like he wanted to go home it was after dark. (LAZY)
2. your orinention is at 124 so get a compass and see if you have an opening
at 124 anywhere around you house.
3. have heard nothing of this.
4. no call back and request another installer. Better Yet where in NW indiana do you live i lnstall in indiana maybe i can help you.
5. no not necesscarily . Voom has the biggest selection of HD
6. no sure about this one

Brad ,
who was company that come to do your install. I am the QC tech in Indy and i have seen nothing about a NLOS on you. If you could get me more info i will help you out all i can.
I Try to keep all my indiana customers happy if i can and i can contact the Field Manger if i can't help you and he will help you.

let me know

Tyork

Tyord, do you ever sleep? Just wondering as you seem to be helping people on here 24/7. I assume VOOM is paying you the big bucks (yea, right) for all the help you provide.

I certainly enjoy your insights and we live way out here in the NW corner.

Still enjoying HDTV (well not quite as I'm listening to the Grand Canyon Suite at the moment) under clearing Seattle skies, Gill

SeattleVoomer1 said:
Tyord, do you ever sleep? Just wondering as you seem to be helping people on here 24/7. I assume VOOM is paying you the big bucks (yea, right) for all the help you provide.

Still enjoying HDTV (well not quite as I'm listening to the Grand Canyon Suite at the moment) under clearing Seattle skies, Gill

yeah i sleep from about 3am to about 7:30 and start all over again. no voom is not pay me only for the installs that i do Just trying to help where i can.

ps. maybe i should asked for a rise LOL>

SeattleVoomer1 said:

I don't think T ever does sleep! She is always wearing the same clothes every time I see her. (Insulated Dickie tan overalls and a flannel shirt.) :D

Indy said:
I don't think T ever does sleep! She is always wearing the same clothes every time I see her. (Insulated Dickie tan overalls and a flannel shirt.) :D

LOL Indy, everything must be going ok with you not had to visit you in a while.

First it was "Illa" for Ilya and then "Tyord" for TYORK. Sorry, TYORK. It was late last night when I was posting away.

Still enjoying HDTV (well, music for another 51') under mostly clear Seattle skies, Gill

SeattleVoomer1 said:
First it was "Illa" for Ilya and then "Tyord" for TYORK. Sorry, TYORK. It was late last night when I was posting away.

Still enjoying HDTV (well, music for another 51') under mostly clear Seattle skies, Gill

No problem i do the same thing some times.

brad christoff said:
QUOTE]

Brad,
More than likely you will always be considered a former customer of Dish. Your other option of obtaining their service as a new customer would be to 1) if married, use your wife's name and SSN with different phone number when subscribing, or 2) use SBC if it is available in your area and you have been away from Dish at least 6 months.