Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
The folks from Dish Network have been following all of your comments on the Pay Per View DRM News we broke here at SatelliteGuys this weekend.

On thing they noticed is there is a lot of confusion about the DRM. Also a lot of folks are getting DRM and HDCP confused.

I have been asked by Dish to compile a list of around 10 questions from our members and will submit them to Dish.

So please in this thread post your questions ONLY. (THis thread is NOT a discussion thread... on a thread for compiling questions)

At 2:30PM EST, I will pick the best questions and submit them to Dish. Once I get a reply to them I will post them here for all to see.

Thanks for your help in this matter!

Does this move to DRM also effect movie channels that also are being reported as DRM (HBO, Cinemax) being able to view at full resolutions over component, or is there an HDCP component to it that will downscale these channels to 480p when not using HDMI?

IS the 24 hour rule after you start watching something firm or can this be adjusted to a longer time frame? If this were 3 or 5 days I would not have nearly the problem with it but we watch a lot of movies split over two or three nights with kids around and th 24 hr from start to finish is a show stopper.

Since your press release stated you were "asked" to comply, please tell us what would have happened if you'd said "no"?

Since you stated the recordings would remain on our HDDs even after the 24 hr deadline but we would loose access to them, is access restricted for all inputs or just DVI / HDMI and / or component?

Are you secretly hoping there will be such outcry over this that the movie studios will back down when PPV revenues fall through the floor?

Did Dish Network aggressively try to avoid the implementation of DRM and if so how? Is it still seeking alternatives for customers to archive PPV movies and if so how?

Thank you for your questions. I am now submitting them to Dish Network for reply. It may take a delay for them to get us answers, but will do their best to answer them as fast as they can. :)

Thanks again!

You guys might remember a few weeks ago we were able to ask questions to Dish Network about the new Pay Per View DRM.

Because a bunch of things all happened at once (Team Summit, New HD, Voom, etc.) it took awhile to get the answers to our questions but at last here they are.

Thanks to the folks that submitted questions. :)

1.) Why is DISH complying with the movie studios and implementing DRM? Why don't they just say no?

A: Along with all cable, satellite and telco providers, DISH Network is required to do this if they want to continue delivering Hollywood movies on Pay-Per-View (PPV) and Video On-Demand (VOD).

2) Does this move to DRM also effect movie channels that also are being reported as DRM (HBO, Cinemax) being able to view at full resolutions over component, or is there an HDCP component to it that will downscale these channels to 480p when not using HDMI?

A: No.

3) Will Major PPV Events such as WWE, Boxing, UFC have DRM implemented? Or is it just limited to movies?

A: No, there are no plans to implement DRM for major PPV events. DRM affects PPV and VOD movies.

4) Will these recording restrictions be implemented on premium and adult movie channels?

A: There are no plans for recording restrictions on these channels.

5) Will they be downrezzing any HD channels for those of us who use component?

A: Not at this time.

6) Is the 24 hour rule after you start watching something firm or can this be adjusted to a longer time frame? If this were 3 or 5 days I would not have nearly the problem with it but we watch a lot of movies split over two or three nights with kids around and th 24 hr from start to finish is a show stopper. Our contractual requirements are for 24 hours once playback begins.

A: Unfortunately, the major movie studios have established the 24-hour window and are requiring all cable, satellite and telco distributors to adhere to this standard.

7) Since you stated the recordings would remain on our HDDs even after the 24 hr deadline but we would loose access to them, is access restricted for all inputs or just DVI / HDMI and / or component?

A: All inputs.

8) Are you secretly hoping there will be such outcry over this that the movie studios will back down when PPV revenues fall through the floor?

A: We don’t comment on fiscal speculation.

9) What are the benefits of DRM to me? Will we see expanded movie offers and movies available when the DVD is released?

A: When new movies are made available from the studios we will offer the titles on the same day they are released on DVD. Upcoming movies that will be available on PPV and VOD at the same time they are available on DVD include: P.S. I Love You, 10,000 BC, Fools Gold and Semi-Pro.

10) Will PPV prices now go DOWN to reflect the LOWER CUSTOMER VALUE of purchasing a PPV movie?

A: We don’t comment on price strategies.