Questions on new sign-up

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

oldschool

Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
Our house has been use DTV for quite a few years now. We are required to go through Pegasus. Have been looking at changing to DISH for a few reasons.

We currently own our sat. boxes, and not worried about them not working with DISH, because we have gotten our money out of them years ago.

I am interested in getting DISH in 4 rooms, but do not need 4 boxes. I would however enjoy getting 2 DVR boxes. I am not averse to buying equipment vs. lease. However, since my last name is not Rockefeller or Gates, the only way we are going to have money is to save money. So, am always looking for the best overall "deal"(realize the word deal is a subjective one at times)

Here are my questions:

If you have a DVR unit that is hooked-up on 2 tvs, will that be using the dual tuner aspect, and not be able to watch something else while recording?

Can you get a 2 DVR box set-up?

Where are the best current deals being offered right now?(Am ready to sign-up now)

Is it a better deal to buy/with credit back on bill or to lease - with the increased monthly $?

Do they use the same feed/mount/coax lines that I currently use for DTV?

How accurate/reliable are the remotes that use the signal from another room, to change the channels from the controlling box?

Any other advice/tips would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

1) If you have a DVR hooked up to 2 tvs, you can't record and watch at the same time. Your assumption is dead on.
2) The long range remotes are good, they are UHF and have good range
3) I'd go with the Digital Home Advantage plan. You can get at least 1 DVR for free and if you go through the right retailer, no commitment and no cancellation fees. I just signed up a week ago through getdish.com and they were very good. You can call them at 800-291-8773. (Hey use my referral code 17554 and I'll get a little bonus for referring you!)
4) The leasing is really that much more. They include the first receiver in the programming fees. You'll pay $5 more for the second receiver.
5) Same coax lines as Directv

The DHA plan offers 522 dual tuner DVR's.. Limit one per account.. but you can have DVR access on two televisions. If locals aren't available in your area I'd steer clear, you'll pay for them because the DHA price has locals "included". No commitment, rental fees (5.00) for each addl reciever. Up to 4 tuners/televisions.

Since your house is prewired and the Dual Tuners require a little re-wiring... I'd say go with a different plan. Free Dish...

1 510 rcvr per activation, up to 3TV's.. DVR fee applies (5.00) and each addl rcvr gets an additional outlet fee (5.00). Normal programming rates apply. This way you can purchase a 508 (no DVR fee) for your second DVR from DishStore.net *wink* for a couple hundred.. and have no rewiring necessary. Tell the tech to hook up all 4 lines to the Dish when he's hooking up your three on the plan, and when you purchase the 508 you can just plug it in and activate it.

Commitment applies... 12 months with $99 upgrade fee or 24 months for no commitment.

or.. you can buy all the stuff yourself and do it. Recievers come with Dish alignment instructions. I wouldn't if you are in a Superdish area.

bcshields said:
The DHA plan offers 522 dual tuner DVR's.. Limit one per account.. but you can have DVR access on two televisions. If locals aren't available in your area I'd steer clear, you'll pay for them because the DHA price has locals "included". No commitment, rental fees (5.00) for each addl reciever. Up to 4 tuners/televisions.

Since your house is prewired and the Dual Tuners require a little re-wiring... I'd say go with a different plan. Free Dish...

1 510 rcvr per activation, up to 3TV's.. DVR fee applies (5.00) and each addl rcvr gets an additional outlet fee (5.00). Normal programming rates apply. This way you can purchase a 508 (no DVR fee) for your second DVR from DishStore.net *wink* for a couple hundred.. and have no rewiring necessary. Tell the tech to hook up all 4 lines to the Dish when he's hooking up your three on the plan, and when you purchase the 508 you can just plug it in and activate it.

Commitment applies... 12 months with $99 upgrade fee or 24 months for no commitment.

or.. you can buy all the stuff yourself and do it. Recievers come with Dish alignment instructions. I wouldn't if you are in a Superdish area.

Thanks for the information. Local channels are offered in my area. Going the second way seems to cost me more monthly, as well as upfront. Am I looking at this correctly?

Here is what I am interested in doing: One unit in family room. One unit in master bedroom. Both have DTV hook-up in there currently. Run the second feed from FR to basement home theater. Run 2nd feed from MBDRM to office. The basement TV does not get near as much use as the office one. I also have a couple of older Tivo boxes that we just use as manual VCRs. We do not subscribe to the TiVo service, and they still work because they are older V1 boxes. Unfortunately they are older units with small harddrives, so not sure if we are going to be using them going forward.

The home theater and office installation areas are not near phone jacks, so not sure on putting in a 3rd box in one of those applications.

With the DHA, are you not required to have a commitment? And, as long as the units are hooked up to a phone line they are waving certain fees? Then, if the day were to come they dropped that offer, I could merely cancel if I wanted to, correct?

With the second option, it looks like 300 - 350 out of pocket expense, along with a higher monthly fee, or is that incorrect?

Thank you for all of the information. That goes to others that have offered information as well.

Dishnet not require any contract, or impose cancellation fees, on the DHA plan. However, some retailers *do* impose a cancellation fee, from what I have read on other threads today. I know mine did not.

On multi-tuner receivers, dish imposes a $5 month fee, if they are not hooked up to a phone line.

I have been looking into the DHP for several weeks. The advantage is you can have 4 tvs controlled seperately. The plan says you can have 1- 322 and 1 -522(which is the pvr). Just remember that there is a 5.00 monthly pvr fee and 5.00 for the extra box. Youcan get the package without locals and out locals(so they told me).
John

oldschool said:
Thanks for the information. Local channels are offered in my area. Going the second way seems to cost me more monthly, as well as upfront. Am I looking at this correctly?

Here is what I am interested in doing: One unit in family room. One unit in master bedroom. Both have DTV hook-up in there currently. Run the second feed from FR to basement home theater. Run 2nd feed from MBDRM to office. The basement TV does not get near as much use as the office one. I also have a couple of older Tivo boxes that we just use as manual VCRs. We do not subscribe to the TiVo service, and they still work because they are older V1 boxes. Unfortunately they are older units with small harddrives, so not sure if we are going to be using them going forward.

The home theater and office installation areas are not near phone jacks, so not sure on putting in a 3rd box in one of those applications.

With the DHA, are you not required to have a commitment? And, as long as the units are hooked up to a phone line they are waving certain fees? Then, if the day were to come they dropped that offer, I could merely cancel if I wanted to, correct?

With the second option, it looks like 300 - 350 out of pocket expense, along with a higher monthly fee, or is that incorrect?

Thank you for all of the information. That goes to others that have offered information as well.

Just make sure you are looking at the right plan. There are still some retailers that have the details of the old DHP posted. The DHP has gone away and was replaced with the DHA plan.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)