Questions on the 5 LMB Dish (I think I Got Jobed by DirecTV)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dexter's Better

Original poster
May 3, 2006
Raleigh, NC
DirecTV Customer.
HD-10 Receiver.

I heard and read about the 5 LMB dish for over the air HD and wanted to place an order for it when it was available here in Raleigh. I called and CSR had someone scheduled to come out and install the new dish.

Fast Forward to two weeks ago when Service Tech arrived at my house. (No dish in hand) He wants to see where my dish was, so I showed him. Then he proceeded to tell me the 5 LMB Dish is "too big" to put on a roof (my current 3 LMB Dish on the Roof) and that it needs special mounting brackets because it will destroy the roof in high enough wind. He also told me that it required two people to install and since he was alone he would not do it. He said basically I get nothing from a 5 LMB Dish and stick with my over the air inside antenna(he tried to install one to the dish but that never worked either).

Basically he never installed the Dish -- says they can't be installed on a roof.

Does anyone know if this is true? Or did this guy just not feel like installing that dish for me?

Welcome to SayGuys! What is your zip code?

Dexter's Better said:
I think I got jobbed by DirecTV

By the installer (CONTRACTOR) NOT DirecTV (SIGNAL PROVIDER)

I heard and read about the 5 LMB dish for over the air HD

There is a 5 LNB dish called the AT9, but it is for DirecTV satellite service only. These services can include DBS provided local affiiate HD retransmitted to you if it is availible in your area. The receiver can also be fitted with an over the air (OTA) antenna to receive additional local HD affiliates as well; DirecTV only retransmits the big 4 networks - ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX. The "dish" does not provide any OTA. If you are close enough you can get HD without the need for the new MPEG4 gear, but you will almost surely need it down the road, as we all will.

he proceeded to tell me the 5 LMB Dish is "too big" to put on a roof

Not 100% true - What is your roof made of? Tile, Asphalt shingles, wood shakes?

it needs special mounting brackets because it will destroy the roof in high enough wind

True with really high winds.

he also told me that it required two people to install and since he was alone he would not do it.

Possible; only if he is not experienced.

He said basically I get nothing from a 5 LMB Dish and stick with my over the air inside antenna(he tried to install one to the dish but that never worked either)

Not 100% true. Dependant on your distance from the transmission tower(s) & antenna setup.

Last edited:
Let me be clear: I have a waiver already for ABC/NBC and I get Fox / CBS with this ugly inside antenna.

Its a new house with a roof shingles (The roof is 45' off the ground in the back of the house)

Mine is on my roof. The braces were part of the standard install. One guy did it although in the interest of time I helped. Sounds like he just may have been scared of your roof.

LNB...Low Noise Block-Downconverter

In the early days of C-Band there used to be LNA (Low Noise Amp) and a Block Downconverter. They are now one unit, and have been for some time. The downcoverter converts sat frequencies down to an intermediate frequency that is sent to your receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts