Questions regarding a 3rd 622

ctjr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
I have a few questions concerning adding a 3rd 622 to my house. We are actually 2 families (my parents in the basement-- it's nicer than that sounds!), but everything is on the one account.

Anyway, current set-up is this:
Main TV room-- 622
Parents Main TV room-- 622
kids "den"-- basic Dish DVR (don't know model offhand)
Bedroom-- shared signal from the above basic DVR.

OK. Now, what I plan to do is turn the Den into a room with a front projector. It won't be used as much as the TV in the other room, but I would like to watch some HD stuff on the projector from time-to-time (Lost, Football, some HBO HD, etc). This will be the room that is currently wired for the the basic Dish DVR (and allows our bedroom to share the box).

My questions are: can I even GET a 3rd 622? and, will any of the wire runs have to change as a result of changing this particular box to a 622? (based on all of my installs and service calls, I really, really hope not!)

As always, thanks for all the help here!

I would be giving up the current "standard" dvr, essentially replacing it with the 622. Would that allow me to lease? I would only have 3 boxes. But is it 4 tuners or 4 boxes? Currently I have (I think this is right) 6 Tuners with the 3 boxes-- two 622s and one of the standard models. With each box having 2 tuners, that would be 6. So maybe I'm already over? In that case since I'd be swapping out the standard def box for the 622, I should still be OK?

I have just managed to confuse myself.... :)

The rule that CSR's must follow (software restriction) is 4 leased tuners, but ceo@echostar.com has the software that does not necessarily have to follow that rule.

Email ceo@echostar.com and see what happens.

The worst they could say is that you must buy the third 622.

I guess that wouldn't be too bad (buying the 3rd). Does anyone know if anything would need to change, cabling-wise? Can I just put the 622 where the standard is now?

Wait a minute! It occurs to me that I don't really "need" a 622 in that room. I never watch sports recorded, only real time, and the other shows, I could watch on a catch-as-catch-can basis (plus recording them in the "TV room" on my current DVR as back-up). So, that would mean I would probably be OK with just an HD receiver vs a DVR. Would that make it any easier on me with Dish?

Actually, I'm already over their limit.

I have the 2 Vip622s and their Standard Def DVR, which also has 2 tuners, bringing me to 6.

Wonder if they would just let me swap out the Stanard Def dual tuner for an HD tuner (no-DVR)? That would actually bring me from 6 tuners to 5, which would be fine in this case. Guess there's nothing left but to call 'em up!

Would swapping that standard for an HD unit require any change to the existing runs?

Actually, I'm already over their limit.

I have the 2 Vip622s and their Standard Def DVR, which also has 2 tuners, bringing me to 6.

Wonder if they would just let me swap out the Stanard Def dual tuner for an HD tuner (no-DVR)? That would actually bring me from 6 tuners to 5, which would be fine in this case. Guess there's nothing left but to call 'em up!

Would swapping that standard for an HD unit require any change to the existing runs?

You probably bought one of the receivers, most likely the standard def one.

There is no limit on tuners you can have, only a limit on leased tuners through CSR's. AS I said only ceo@echostar.com can override this limit.

There is a limit on how many receivers you can have on one account, I think it is like 8 or so.

You can probably just swap the 622 with the dual tuner SD unit, if you have either a Dish1000.2 (has builtin DPP34 switch) or a DPP44switchon a Dish 1000 or similar. Press MENU 6,1,3 and look under device.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)