Questions regarding comcast install..

OoTLink

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 25, 2005
So my mom got an interesting call from a comcast rep yesterday morning and we should be getting another one today regarding NOT canceling the service (which I had done after getting well, no response at all about installing a coax run from the demarc that the original installer was supposed to do but never did)... and getting it done right (again), hehe.

Either way, after looking at my options I might just take back up the internet/tv stuff even if I don't use the TV stuff because it'd be cheaper than what I'm paying for dsl/phone line right now.. Either way, it's a primary thing that they can't disturb our satellite stuff (thus the new run of coax is needed)...

Two more questions:

1. I heard that it's possible to request a dct5000.. or at the least a 2500, do they really use 5000s? They provided me a 2000 and the UI is really lame (it is the iguide that can change colors, but the "flip bar" goes blank if you change channels too quick).. not to mention a lack of svideo/firewire.. The people at the office were insistent that the 2000 was "the best we can do unless you want to pay for a DVR or an HD box" (funny because their site says they don't do DVRs here).. Either way, shouldn't I at least be able to get it swapped for a 2500, and do the newer boxes have the same issue with the flip bar?

2. This is what I need the installer to do, can they do it?

1. Run coax run from demarc to wall jack 1
2. Run 2 coax cables from wall jack 1 to wall jack 2 [it's about 10 feet but believe me, things would just work better if they did it this way]..
3. get cables from wall jacks to TVs [at least the downstairs ones].. the upstairs ones don't matter.
4. Swap the old DCT for a more modern one and
5. split off the line at wall jack 1 to hook up the DCT, the modem, and 3 TVs [2 of said lines going to wall jack 2 to go upstairs]

I guess it's a bit crazy, but worth a shot :)

Hehe I'd call it a reinstall but they never really installed anything in the first place.

At the worst, I'll be cool if they just run a coax from demarc to wall jack 1 and split it 3 ways there (DCT, modem, and tv downstairs). Seriously. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)