Quick Positive for the HR20

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tyrate

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Jan 20, 2005
You know I'm not going to get all technical on my thoughts on the HR20, if you do some research you guys will find that I've been pretty hard on DTV for sometime on there lack of accuracy when it comes to there product hype and customer service but DTV has made some amends recently so I felt compelled to do the same. I know that there some negative feedback going around the forum about the HR20 but I just received one recently and I must confess I've been very impress with the box in fact I have very little to complain about. The picture quality has greatly improved on my 52" Toshiba and that's standard and HD wise, especially over the H10 STB (sucks). The DVR service is simple to use the remote is larger but lighter than the older version. The guide could be easier to access but from my understanding there is a way to make it easier to access, all the services seem to work well (Mix’s channels and Active button) the gamelouge isn't working yet but they are working on it and I'm sure it will be up soon considering it should be positive money generator for them. They are pretty consistent with software upgrade so they are showing efforts on improving the product so I'm happy with the box. If I were grading the HR20 I would give it an "A" and say thanks DTV for doing something right! Now if they could get rid of this stupid lease policy and stop trying to charge people $299 for the darn thing so more people could have an opportunity to enjoy it and I think they could really help there cause. Sorry I had to get that stab in!!

P.S. Before you get into the Tivo vs DVR discussion, I have all 3 boxes in my house the standards DTV DVR, HR20 and DTV Tivo box. They all works about the same they just give the features different names for copyright reasons. I think the only thing Tivo has over the DVR is the Wishlist feature, which I don’t even use that often and the Tivo guide is much slower! In fact at one time or another I’ve had pretty much every STB DTV put out and I could pretty much give you a opinion on each one but I’m sure you guys could careless so I’ll leave at that! :D

bidger`

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 6, 2006
noyfb
I believe you have to do the Search for "IAMACETESTER", or something similar, in the All categories and wait for a no results summation before you do the front panel buttons.

Happy Camper

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 20, 2005
Central Texas
We are a family who has both the HR20 and three TiVo based DVRs, including the HR20. We prefer the TiVo and dislike the HR20.

I was admittedly barely smart enough to fly military aircraft for a living, including some which were fairly technical. But, not one of them was as user 'unfriendly' as the HR20, in my opinion, anyway.

When DBS Talk has to post over fifteen pages of various unpublished features, work arounds and translated instructions, tips and tricks, just about the operation of the machine, it would seem to be fairly cumbersome, it seems.

The additional fact that you usually have to pay for it, but not own it, and undertake a two year programming promise worth big $$$$$s in debt to activate it, makes it even less desirable.

Overall, the HR20 works fine, but I doubt a majority of users who have tried both would vote for it over TiVo software machines. Still, I have another positive-it is way better and is more capable in almost any installation than the antique Motorola boxes Verizon disributes with FIOS.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)