Not open for further replies.

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Boss just asked for help getting an HDTV for a gift. He wants to buy ASAP, perhaps TODAY! I called an online/telephone place I used before, they can't possibly ship to arrive by Xmas. So I am likely down to BB, CC, etc.

Requirements:
42"-52"
Rear Projection
ATSC OTA tuner built in
1080 display
top price about $2,000
at least one HDMI in and one Component in
name brand

Suggestions? I am looking at the BB site right now, will look elsewhere.

A DLP is low on the list of possibilities, due to possibilities of rainbows/headaches. I hear the color wheels are gone, replaced by LEDs. Is this true? And does the LED approach reduce/eliminate rainbows/headaches? Yes, I know only a small percentage of people are affected. Samsungs gotten any more reliable?

I'm looking at Sony SXRD, but I've read of a lot of problems with them, green blobs, etc, plus I hate to buy Sony. SXRD now seems to refer to LCD, not their LCoS. True?

I'm also looking at JVC DILA units, if anyone has them in stock. I have a 61" 720 model, but I think I'd better get 1080 or hear about it the rest of my life. He will not consider flat screens.

Any help? Models to consider/avoid?

You choice are DLP or LCD or SXRD...

For the money go for the Sammy 50" ....I would be shocked if they say rainbows with the HL-S5088W or the HL-S5087W

Dont get a 720p model...no reason to.....

Next choice is the sony A2000 SXRD....yes some have the green blob issue but some dont.

OK- I've eliminated 3LCD as they are all 720. The Samsung HL-S5679W DLP has LEDs and no color wheel, but is expensive ($2400-$3800) and has mediocre reviews.

I'm looking closely at the Sony 50" Grand Wega KDS-50A2000 at and the JVC 56" HD56FN97. I -THINK- they are both still available. At least, one store in the area shows an online quantity- all others are "unavailable."

It looks like most stuff is still 720, especially in this size range.

Has he gone to Costco or Sams? Just an idea. I know zero about what they have other than they sure do advertise the hell out of them and have them all piled up in the doorways. I myself likely would not buy any one of them, as $2000 for under 80" is a bit too much for me. LOL!

Thanks for the reply. The A2000 looks promising. I'll do some checking for availability. Do you know where it might be available?

He hasn't gone anywhere, he has me for that. :rolleyes:

His motto is: "Of course I want it today- if I wanted it tomorrow, I'd order it tomorrow!"

I've kept up somewhat with a local warehouse store. Mostly flat screens. The rear projectors I saw were 720- maybe I could check again, but there's this time constraint.

A2000 too expensive.

Costco idea nice, but too much, and he does not want flat screen or anything less than 1080. He also prefers no bulb, but that's something he'll get used to.

Boss has spoken- I'm off to the one BB in the area that has the Sony & JVC (post 3) in stock - supposedly. JVC is first choice, Sony second. If neither is available, I'll see what is in stock or maybe head to Costco. He's gotten real allergic to 720ish screens and off brands in the last couple of hours.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP. I'm outta here.

Go with the JVC, great PQ, (I like it better than SXRD) great support, great company.

We have one in our living room.

Well, I left for the store right after I made post 9. Boss picked the JVC 56" HD56FN97. I went to the last BB in the area that was supposed to have any in stock. Lo and behold, they actually did. Even with tax, it came in under $2,000. Delivered it to his house, might be involved in delivering it to the guy he's giving it to on Christmas day.

Saw one on display. Looked great. It was next to a 56" JVC with 720. You really can tell, up close, the difference.

Thanks to all of you for your quick input.

A2000 too expensive.

Costco idea nice, but too much, and he does not want flat screen or anything less than 1080. He also prefers no bulb, but that's something he'll get used to.

Boss has spoken- I'm off to the one BB in the area that has the Sony & JVC (post 3) in stock - supposedly. JVC is first choice, Sony second. If neither is available, I'll see what is in stock or maybe head to Costco. He's gotten real allergic to 720ish screens and off brands in the last couple of hours.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP. I'm outta here.

Sony KDS-55A2000 $1,999.98 Free Ground Shipping In Stock
Ships Within 24-48 hours
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/458999526

Well, I set it up for him, with a non-HD cable box. He could get an OTA signal here using rabbit ears and get some free HD, but didn't want to- said he'd get the cable HD box. Some day. Feeds his TVs from the DVD player using coax. It all looks fine to him. Just stretch that picture to fill the screen, making it real big.

Sigh. :no

Sad, isn't it. We went to a sports bar on New Years Day to watch Wisconsin play Arkansas. Lots of nice HDTVs from 42" to the biggest one that looked like it was about 60". SD signal stretched to fit on all of them.:( The only good thing was that I found out that the Samsungs looked decent with a SD signal.

And I'll bet the HD signal was there, they just didn't have an ATSC tuner or know to tune it in the HD station. I almost never see an HD signal on widescreen TVs in public places. A doctor I went to for a tooth implant had TWO large screen plasmas in his waiting rooms. Poor, stretched analog SD feeds. Again, he could have gotten digital feeds with a set top antenna. Weird, seeing snow on a large plasma!

Go with the JVC, great PQ, (I like it better than SXRD) great support, great company.

We have one in our living room.
I used to buy a lot of JVC stuff. stereo recivers, DVDplayers, Cd players. Then I realized I was buying so much of their stuff because it was breaking way too soon IMO. Not TV's though, never took a chance on them. Unfortunately, I cant afford the really good stuff. SO I took a chance with samsung, probably as bad as JVC.

I used to buy a lot of JVC stuff. stereo recivers, DVDplayers, Cd players. Then I realized I was buying so much of their stuff because it was breaking way too soon IMO. Not TV's though, never took a chance on them. Unfortunately, I cant afford the really good stuff. SO I took a chance with samsung, probably as bad as JVC.

All I use to buy was Sony TVs then the one in my bedroom died after 10 years:( , took the 27" Sony out of the living room and put it in the bedroom.

Bought a 32" JVC for the living room, died within 3 years, will never buy another JVC again went back to Sony.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)