R.I.P MHz Worldview

CycloneSat

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 29, 2019
Loganville, GA
MHz Worldview is folding at the start of March, and they’re migrating their programming to their streaming services. The service already left DirecTV in October. I personally wonder what will happen to the vacated subchannel spaces after MHz Worldview shutters...

Honestly, I had never heard of this before. Appears they were only available on 26 OTA subchannels and some cable systems across the country before changing to streaming delivery? Their free version (MHz Now) is only available on Samsung TV's. The paid version (MHz Choice) costs $7.99mo ($89.99yr) and they won't even let current viewers take advantage of the free trial/discount. Heck, we have Amazon Prime for $119yr and get free two day shipping, a huge streaming library of videos & music among other benefits. Hope they do well but I can't see them making a go of it with that small of a customer base. :(

So they have a free streaming channel, but only on Samsung TVs? (I didn't even know Samsung had its own streaming service!)

I'm confused though -- I could swear that when they left FTA, they had a free stream on Roku (did me no good though, as I didn't have a Roku at the time -- in fact, I seem to remember firing off a very terse email asking why they didn't go with web streaming rather than a proprietary service, and getting a worthless canned response.) What happened to that?

So they have a free streaming channel, but only on Samsung TVs? (I didn't even know Samsung had its own streaming service!)

I'm confused though -- I could swear that when they left FTA, they had a free stream on Roku (did me no good though, as I didn't have a Roku at the time -- in fact, I seem to remember firing off a very terse email asking why they didn't go with web streaming rather than a proprietary service, and getting a worthless canned response.) What happened to that?

You are correct, I found an e-mail reply from them on December 2 2010 after they had announced they were leaving 97W, and they did mention a Roku channel: "Additional MHz Networks content, both free and pay, is available on MHz Networks on Demand via the Roku digital video player. News and magazines are free and series programs require subscriptions." Of course, being in Canada it was useless to me!

Still remember their murder mysteries, music, and especially their Monday night Aussie Rules Football! This summer I had a chance to view some of their programming (murder mysteries, if I recall correctly) on a sub-channel of WDCQ which I was getting on tropo (on a homemade bowtie antenna!) at our cottage on Lake Huron. Shame to see them go, and still wished they had stayed on 97W.

Reactions: spongella and N5XZS
You are correct, I found an e-mail reply from them on December 2 2010 after they had announced they were leaving 97W, and they did mention a Roku channel: "Additional MHz Networks content, both free and pay, is available on MHz Networks on Demand via the Roku digital video player. News and magazines are free and series programs require subscriptions." Of course, being in Canada it was useless to me!

So news was free, and now, according to the announcement, they don't even have news on the pay service. Really gotta wonder what they were thinking.

Reactions: spongella and N5XZS
KMOS-TV Ch. 6 carries MHZ Worldview on Ch. 6.3 & has carried it since about, at least, 2008, originally timesharing with Create, until about mid-2009 (During this time KMOS-TV carried MHZ Worldview from 6pm to 6am & Create from 6am to 6pm.) I wonder if they will bring back World, which they carried briefly on channel 6.3 (& later on 6.4.), back around 2015-17.

KMOS-TV Ch. 6 carries MHZ Worldview on Ch. 6.3 & has carried it since about, at least, 2008, originally timesharing with Create, until about mid-2009 (During this time KMOS-TV carried MHZ Worldview from 6pm to 6am & Create from 6am to 6pm.) I wonder if they will bring back World, which they carried briefly on channel 6.3 (& later on 6.4.), back around 2015-17.

You're right, I had forgotten about that. I can tune KMOS here occasionally, and I remember seeing that as one of their subchannels.

I think this is the same outfit that used to broadcast 12 international channels in the DC metro market on two channels, WNVC and WNVT. They sold their spectrum for big money.

Yes.. Channels 30.1-30.10 on channels 53&56.. 47X on Cox.. was great.. Russia Today, France 24 and AlJezera.. AlJezera has some great documentaries (just remember, big spin.. large grain of salt) They had a four part documentary on the Crusades , definitely from the Arab point of view but very interesting

Reactions: pamajestic

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)