R15 Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

andygradel

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
Hey guys...

I think I'm finally ready to make the move from Comcast to DirecTV. Now that they've rolled out the HD locals in Philly and are offering the rebates on the HD receivers as well as the SD DVR, it's hard to keep writing the checks to Comcast every month.

My only question is with installation. My townhouse is prewired for cable and wasn't sure if the R-15 needed two lines run from the dish or if it just needed to have the one line split from the wall jack in the room? I'd much rather not have people fishing wires in my house and am hoping the one wire would do the trick..

Also, I've seen a few people post that you don't need to have a phone connection for the R-15? We have a jack in the room where our HDTV is, but not one where the DVR would be set up...

Thanks for the help!

- Andy

You need 2 seperate coax runs to the DVR for full functionality, you _can_ use just one coax run, but you will lose some DVR features, so you need 2 runs for full functionality, that is, unless you opt for a stacker/dual destacker setup (very expensive).

As for the phone line, you only need it for initial setup of the DVR, afterwards, you don't need the phone hooked up, although you will get an occasional nag screen stating it hasn't been able to dial out.

Thanks for the info... Now, the big question is whether or not the installers will be able to get the wire to where I need it so I can go with the 2 tuners.

Thanks, again...

andygradel said:
Thanks for the info... Now, the big question is whether or not the installers will be able to get the wire to where I need it so I can go with the 2 tuners.
Thanks, again...
As long as you understand that the typical install does not include wall fishing as part of basic install you will be fine. Typically $75 per fish if they need to do so. Good luck.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)