R22 is now a HR22

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Techfizzle

Banned
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Quick Question I own a R22 it is nice. But a R22 is a HR22 with the HD disabled, if I bought a new hd set, could they enable the HD part of it? You think they could because it is software making it sd only not hardware.

Quick Question I own a R22 it is nice. But a R22 is a HR22 with the HD disabled, if I bought a new hd set, could they enable the HD part of it? You think they could because it is software making it sd only not hardware.

#1.The R22 is not an HR22.The HR22 has a 500GB Hard Drive.The R22 has a 320GB.;)

#2. At this time DirecTV cannot enable your R22 to HD.You would need to get an HR23 it also has a 500GB,that's DirecTV's latest HDDVR with wideband tuners so you don't need to connect any BBCs.You also will need a Slimline 5 LNB dish and you will have to pay the HD Access fee $9.99 with your package plus whatever else DirecTV will charge to upgrade.Good Luck!.:)

P.S. A HR21 is also 320GB Hard Drive it needs BBCs,so does the HR22.;)

Last edited:
There is no plans to make the R22 receivers HD. Even though it is possible, Directv will not do this, because that not what they were made for and if they did they wouldn't make the extra money.

Believe me, I wish they would do this, but probably not for another few years if ever. The is usually good discounts/deals to get a HR2x upgrade. If you do get an upgrade, you will most likely not get to choose which HR2x you want.

I'm looking to get a R22 to replace my R15 in my bedroom, so I can watch VOD in the bedroom, plus when MRV comes full circle.

A couple of people on dbstalk have posted that their R22s receive HD, and one had the screenshots to prove it.

However, this seems to be a fluke as evidently they did not ask for it, it just "happened."

No one really knows if DirecTV will ever issue a software update to do this, but the longer the R22s sit without it, the less likely it would seem, unfortunately.

A couple of people on dbstalk have posted that their R22s receive HD, and one had the screenshots to prove it.

However, this seems to be a fluke as evidently they did not ask for it, it just "happened."

No one really knows if DirecTV will ever issue a software update to do this, but the longer the R22s sit without it, the less likely it would seem, unfortunately.

Yes, I saw the same about people with HD R22's over at DBStalk, but directv didn't know whay that happened I heard.

Knowing Directv I don't think they will launch a software upgrade to allow HD on the R22. They might loose money if they did that.

Josh

yes they are planning to send out a download to make the r22 a hddvr they just have not said when they are going to do this at the moment and if ther are going to charge for the download this is all just in the works right now but it is going to happen. no one just knows when just like when the swm system was going into effect dtv is not letting onto anything.

yes they are planning to send out a download to make the r22 a hddvr they just have not said when they are going to do this at the moment and if ther are going to charge for the download this is all just in the works right now but it is going to happen.

Where did you hear this, and do you have a link?

fortunatly and i know how you love us guys here but i work for a hsp provider.
And i'm a dtv tech. We recently had a dtv rep in our office and this question came up and this is what he was telling us that dtv is working on it but no futher info at the moment when they are going to release a download for it . or if there are going to be any charges involved with it.

It isnt anything to work out.. the R22 is a HR22 with the HDTV settings disabled. It is used to get Locals that are broadcast MPEG4. I seriously Doubt D* would just turn it on for ya as they will make more money bu having you pay $99/$199 for a HDDVR upgrade. It wont happen.

Just a guess, but HD on the R22 may have been part of early alpha or field testing, if someone has one with it enabled.

The R22 has the hardware to handle HD, as far as I know, and DirecTV may add it in the future. They have not announced any plans at this point.

There is incentive for DirecTV to add it - specifically the ability to add HD Access charges to existing SD accounts and make $10 more a month.

I would venture that a time when it could be enabled would be when there are a lot more R22's in the field. At this point it is still a very new product.

It isnt anything to work out.. the R22 is a HR22 with the HDTV settings disabled. It is used to get Locals that are broadcast MPEG4. I seriously Doubt D* would just turn it on for ya as they will make more money bu having you pay $99/$199 for a HDDVR upgrade. It wont happen.

That would be my guess, why do it if they could get you to buy/"lease" the HR series instead

Edit: Not just that, I know alot of HR users would be TICKED if they paid the premium for the HR, when they could have just got the R and had it upgraded. Of course we do not know the fee there would be for this

Last edited:
I don't think D* would make much money on a R22 to HR21 (or whatever) upgrade. Seems to me that it would be far simpler for them to software activate the HD capabilities of an R22, perhaps charge a small fee for this, and upgrade whatever you need on your account. That would save them a receiver swap, and I'm sure a thorough R22 inspection that would be needed before they could lease it out again.

And it would make it simpler for their customers to upgrade, which likely leads to higher customer retention, because that customer would be less likely to check out the competition.

Much less hands-on shipping, inspection, and total labor costs to do a software upgrade.

I do quite a bit of DVR to HDDVR upgrades, I have also put in a lot of R22's with just a 18" dish.. do either way people do it and if they did "turn on" a R22 many would still need an ODU upgrade.

First want to correct something the R22 is not an HR22 with the HDTV settings disabled.It's an HR21 with the HDTV settings disabled,don't want anyone to think the R22 has a 500GB HDD it has a 320GB HDD.Second it makes no sense now to enable the HDTV settings on the R22 to me at least as the availability now of the HR23 is the way to go,larger HDD(500GB) plus you won't need those BBCs because the HR23 has wideband tuners.:)

yes they are planning to send out a download to make the r22 a hddvr they just have not said when they are going to do this at the moment and if ther are going to charge for the download this is all just in the works right now but it is going to happen. no one just knows when just like when the swm system was going into effect dtv is not letting onto anything.
Why would D* even bother to do such a thing? There is no atvantage. Why not just get a HD DVR if you want HD? , You don't lease an SD DVR if you want HD, thats just the way it is, You lease an HD DVR. Not rocket science.

First D* loses money when upgrading one to HR HDDVR, the HD DVR now cost $200+ to manufacture, while the cost is down from the $400+ a year ago, it is still higher than even the highest upfront charge ($199) they make from a user, not to mention the cost of transportation, materials and labor for handling etc.

The benefit of turning HD on R22? How about saving D* money for having to replace the receiver? How about having the chance to make that extra $10 for HD service? How about the chance to make the extra $5 for the extra HD pack? How about the extra money made for selling HD PPVs?

And how about the bottom line, be more competitive?

Think about it, when some one like the OP upgrades to an HD set, he is looking at the ATT Uverse ads which says free HD DVR no contract necessary, and on the other hand he realizes if he upgrades to a D* HD DVR it will likely cost him at least $99 and a two year contract.

So he calls D* to complain and possibly even to cancel and go with ATT Uverse, guess the response from D*? Oh we can just activate your R22 and you will get the most HD channels in the world and more.

One customer saved and more money will be made by D* from him too.

During a D* investors' conference call several months ago D* showed us a slide chart, in which it said it planned to deploy an HD-capable DVR in 2009, for the SD users only, with the intent to later activate the HD functions when people upgraded to HDTV sets. The time line was 2009.

Why would D* even bother to do such a thing? There is no atvantage. Why not just get a HD DVR if you want HD? , You don't lease an SD DVR if you want HD, thats just the way it is, You lease an HD DVR. Not rocket science.

It's because a lot of people have had to get R22 Receivers with HD Equipment to get there locals, because they did not have HD at the time. Now a lot customers want to get HD because all there dish is a HD Dish, but they don't want to pay for a new receiver which cost lots of money.

People with non DVR receivers have HD Receivers, just to get there locals, but don't have the HD package can preview HD on channel 101 if you have a HD tv. From what I have been told a lot of people have seen that and want to get HD after they have seen that HD Free Preview.

I think it's a great idea!!!:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)