R22: Somehow get HD or Swap?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NotSoSimple

Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Oregon
Doing some research here I noticed I have the coveted R22. Currently have the R22 and a SD Receiver (Non-DVR) on my account. Just got an HD TV and am thinking of going up to HD. I noticed you can change resolution, and that with a software update you are able to get HD programming with the R22.

What are the chances of getting it upgraded? I just dont want to pay the $219 for a new receiver. Unfortunately I am only 8 months into my 2 year agreement. Think I might be able to get it switched out?

Doing some research here I noticed I have the coveted R22. Currently have the R22 and a SD Receiver (Non-DVR) on my account. Just got an HD TV and am thinking of going up to HD. I noticed you can change resolution, and that with a software update you are able to get HD programming with the R22.

What are the chances of getting it upgraded? I just dont want to pay the $219 for a new receiver. Unfortunately I am only 8 months into my 2 year agreement. Think I might be able to get it switched out?

If you have the latest software, I think all you have to do is pay the $10/month hd access fee.

If you have the latest software, I think all you have to do is pay the $10/month hd access fee.

Not if it is the ONLY HD box on the account; they won't add HD access on with only an R22.

NSS, instead of upgrading the R22, why don't you switch out the SD box to an HD DVR, but then put it on the new HDTV, & move the R22 to the SD set. (since the new HD DVR has a larger hard drive than the R22, but you can leave the R22 on the HDTV) You'll now have 2 HD DVR's when they do turn HD access on, but it will NOT cost you any more extra than if you ditch the R22 for a new HD DVR. (the HD & DVR fees are ONLY charged once per account, regardless of how many HD &/or DVR's you have) Then, if you ever upgrade the other TV to HD, you'll be all set as well.

As far as what D* will charge, call 'em up & ask... ;)

Last edited:
Not if it is the ONLY HD box on the account; they won't add HD access on with only an R22.

NSS, instead of upgrading the R22, why don't you switch out the SD box to an HD DVR, but then put it on the new HDTV, & move the R22 to the SD set. (since the new HD DVR has a larger hard drive than the R22, but you can leave the R22 on the HDTV) You'll now have 2 HD DVR's when they do turn HD access on, but it will NOT cost you any more extra than if you ditch the R22 for a new HD DVR. (the HD & DVR fees are ONLY charged once per account, regardless of how many HD &/or DVR's you have) Then, if you ever upgrade the other TV to HD, you'll be all set as well.

As far as what D* will charge, call 'em up & ask... ;)

All of what you said is mostly true and the best way to handle it. The R22 will not function as an HD box unless hooked to a HDTV via HDMI. I speak from experience. I have a HR22 and R22. My HR22 is on my 37" Vizio while the R22 is on my bed room analog tv that WONT die. I would like to see the HD channels as from time to time I watch MGM Movie on my HD Extra pack along with a few others but can not see them on my R22.

Ad mention before HD will not work on a R22 unless another HD box is on the account. I can go into the many reasons why but it a software issue with the billing it cant be considered a sd and a hd box and if it were considered a hd box then it would force hd access on everyone who did not want it.

So R22 is SD until anotehr HD box shows up.

The R22 will not function as an HD box unless hooked to a HDTV via HDMI.

Did you unhide the HD channels on your R22? Do you have BBC's on it? (unless you have a SWM dish)
I have a couple clients w/HD enabled R22's on SD sets, & they can watch all the HD's.
Once you get HD access activated on it, it should function like any other HR2x...

Last edited:
Did you unhide the HD channels on your R22? Do you have BBC's on it? (unless you have a SWM dish)
I have a couple clients w/HD enabled R22's on SD sets, & they can watch all the HD's.
Once you get HD access activated on it, it should function like any other HR2x...

Yes I have done Unhide. Also have done a re-authorization of the reciever with no success. As for dish I have a SWiM connected to both TVs via my Slimline.

If you substitute a non-DVR HD receiver (H20, H21 or H23) for your current SD receiver it would only cost $99 (with a new 2 year commitment). You would then have HD access and the R22 would essentially be equivalent to a HR21.

If you substitute a non-DVR HD receiver (H20, H21 or H23) for your current SD receiver it would only cost $99 (with a new 2 year commitment). You would then have HD access and the R22 would essentially be equivalent to a HR21.

Bob's right, and depending on how long you have been a customer, they might give you one of those for free. I checked my account online the other day and they were offering me the HD non-dvr for free.

Ad mention before HD will not work on a R22 unless another HD box is on the account. I can go into the many reasons why but it a software issue with the billing it cant be considered a sd and a hd box and if it were considered a hd box then it would force hd access on everyone who did not want it.

So R22 is SD until anotehr HD box shows up.

Not on my account. As mentioned I have had a HR22 since joining in Nov 1, 2008. After the update and some messing around still no HD channels on my R22.

Not on my account. As mentioned I have had a HR22 since joining in Nov 1, 2008. After the update and some messing around still no HD channels on my R22.

Are you on the latest software - have you tried the 02468 code to force an update?
If you do a search around here, you'll see others w/R22's get all the HD just fine, too.
Also, it might be that you simply have a bad receiver - unfortunately, unless you are in an MPEG4 local market, if you try to get it replaced, you might get an R16 instead... :(

Thanks for the replies. I would love to get an HD DVR but cannot be spending another $100 :/

Do I just call up retentions and say I want an HD DVR? Last time I called I got a CSR who was pretty rude and didnt know what she was talking about.

You may need a dish upgrade to, you need a slimline for HD. The $99 for the H receiver or $199 for the HR receiver would probably include that dish upgrade if needed.

You may need a dish upgrade to, you need a slimline for HD. The $99 for the H receiver or $199 for the HR receiver would probably include that dish upgrade if needed.

sounds like he does not even have an hd box..... So the R22 would not work anway way with out at least a H series and then we make no promoises the r22 conversion will work it more of side affect then a promised feature.

I will assume if a call is made to tech support they will not help resolve this issue? I guess one thing I can try is moving the box to my HDTV via HDMI and see if it works.

They will go though basic steps and check things... But they wont do service calls or equipment replacements on it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)