RabbitEars Search Map Enters Public Beta

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Glad you like it.

Interference is hard because you have to do a separate calculation (F(50,10) for interference versus F(50,90) for service) and over a longer distance and for many, many more stations. It's a performance problem. If performance weren't an issue, I wouldn't have an adjustable distance selector because I'd just pick a sufficiently large value (140 miles?) and run every study at that distance, then drag in some number of potentially interfering stations beyond that. While I wish I could do that, unfortunately that study would take multiple minutes to run, and would bog the server down for everyone.

Ultimately, the FCC's TVStudy software, which powers the Signal Search Map, is capable of doing it. You might want to try it out. I have a VirtualBox file with it pre-installed if you want to try it, though I don't remember if it's the current version or not. (Send me a PM if you want the link.)

- Trip

Reactions: Tower Guy
The second is a long-discussed feature to expand the search distance from within a completed study. I worked out how to do it without potentially leaking the coordinates, and have actually written the code for it. It is designed to filter out records found in the existing study so they don't get rerun, saving resources. This code is mostly done as well, and I've figured out how to get it into the UI (the search distance value will be replaced with a drop-down menu); the problem is how to make it match up rows properly if the database has changed, as it does each day. My initial thought was to make it so you could only do the updates before the database updates, but that update happens in the 6:30-7:00AM ET time frame each day, and could result in a case where someone posts a result late at night, particularly on the west coast, and then by the time people are reviewing it the next day, it's impossible to expand the result. It mostly works properly, as long as the rows haven't changed. But if a station files a license to cover, for example, you could end up with two identical rows in a result. Maybe it's just not a big deal, but I'd rather not confuse people with it if I can help it. I think it needs some more attention before I make it public.

I went ahead and made this new feature public by doing exactly what I said--it now allows you to expand an existing study only if the database is still the current version. Once that daily 6:30-7:00AM update happens, it's locked.

- Trip

Trip
I don't know if same in other states and towns but in my town when you pick where you live and then click on location go then go to page that shows the stations with color code.When you pick currant station search map and it goes to the line and shows the pointer where you live. When look again where you live it moved the pointer like a quarter mile away from where you live and a block to the left. The other problem is once you go to the pointer where you live and shows the lines coming out of the pointer you can't mouse over the point and click on it and move it to where you really live.

Hope this is the help you are looking for. baboonie

Trip
I don't know if same in other states and towns but in my town when you pick where you live and then click on location go then go to page that shows the stations with color code.When you pick currant station search map and it goes to the line and shows the pointer where you live. When look again where you live it moved the pointer like a quarter mile away from where you live and a block to the left. The other problem is once you go to the pointer where you live and shows the lines coming out of the pointer you can't mouse over the point and click on it and move it to where you really live.

Hope this is the help you are looking for. baboonie
That's deliberate to MASK your exact house location on the Results link. Change the setting: Shift Shown Location for Privacy to NO before your search, and it'll be on your house.

Reactions: Trip and harshness